Copying Workbooks Between Two Instances of Excel

psecker

I have looked through the documentation of Locodarwin's Excel COM UDF and cannot figure out how to open one new Excel document, then open a file in a new instance of Excel, and then copy a work book from the opened file to the new Excel document.

I have tried to open a new document and I can interact with that one very well. Then I opened an existing file in a new instance of excel. Again I can interact with this one well also, but it seems that I cannot switch back and forth between them.

Has anyone else tried to copy workbooks between two Excel files? Is it even possible without sending key or mouse commands?

I have looked through the documentation of Locodarwin's Excel COM UDF and cannot figure out how to open one new Excel document, then open a file in a new instance of Excel, and then copy a work book from the opened file to the new Excel document.

I have tried to open a new document and I can interact with that one very well. Then I opened an existing file in a new instance of excel. Again I can interact with this one well also, but it seems that I cannot switch back and forth between them.

Has anyone else tried to copy workbooks between two Excel files? Is it even possible without sending key or mouse commands?

Hi,

why not just resave/ rename the workbook, and open that?

best, Randall

Others have noted this problem before. The solution is to not use $oExcel as your object variable for either of the instances. If you instead use, say, $oBook1 for the first instance and $oBook2 for the second, you should have no trouble C&P between the two.

The following will copy the cells A1:G30 of worksheet 1 in workbook "TestBook1.xls" to the same cells in worksheet 1 of a new workbook, and then save the new workbook as "TestBook2.xls" in the script path:

$oBook1 = _ExcelBookNew()
$oBook2 = _ExcelBookOpen("C:\TestBook1.xls")
_ExcelCopy($oBook2, "A1:G30")
_ExcelPaste($oBook1, "A1:G30")
_ExcelBookSaveAs($oBook1, "TestBook2.xls")
_ExcelBookClose($oBook1)
_ExcelBookClose($oBook2)

Good luck with your Excel endeavors!

-S

(Yet Another) ExcelCOM UDF"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly...[indent]...specialization is for insects." - R. A. Heinlein[/indent]