Commercial distribution?

Hi AutoIt team,

We are working in a commercial app and it would be helpful for us to add some autoit to it, but it is not clear from the info on your website (or we haven't find the correct place where to read) if is possible to do it. Exactly, this is the question: can we distribute an autoit au3 script file together with our package, asking to the users to download and install "autoit v3" so they are able to run this au3 script?

Thanks,

Javier

I do not believe he is aware that the scripts can be compiled into exe files. The scripts are fairly safe when they are compiled into exe files, but seeing as you just wanted to distribute the .au3 script itself, you probably don't care if people are able to see the source.

Autoit scripts have the ability to be compiled into standalone executables.

From the helpfile:

Compiling Scripts with Aut2Exe

It is possible to take your .au3 script and compile it into a standalone executable; this executable can be used without the need for AutoIt to be installed and without the need to have AutoIt3.exe on the machine. In addition, the compiled script is compressed and encrypted and there is the option to bind additional files (also compressed/encrypted) to the exe using the FileInstall function. Also, any #include files will also be compiled into the script so they are not required at run-time.

Caution: the script to be compiled must be free of syntax error as the compilation will not check the syntax.

There is much more where that came from. To read more, open the autoit help file and under the index tab, type:

Compiling Scripts

That will get you to the place in the help file where you can read more about standalone autoit executables.

"So man has sown the wind and reaped the world. Perhaps in the next few hours there will no remembrance of the past and no hope for the future that might have been." & _"All the works of man will be consumed in the great fire after which he was created." & _"And if there is a future for man, insensitive as he is, proud and defiant in his pursuit of power, let him resolve to live it lovingly, for he knows well how to do so." & _"Then he may say once more, 'Truly the light is sweet, and what a pleasant thing it is for the eyes to see the sun.'" - The Day the Earth Caught Fire

Honestly I wouldn't use autoit for any commerical product....

Autoit executables arn't really executables they are a scrpting engine exe with a plain text script attached within the exe.

Autoit files are far from secure.... there is a version of exe2aut that ignores the passcode and like has been said before there is no possible way to stop it... change the encoding method of the autoit script and it takes 5 minutes to be able to decode the exe again...

If your looking to add autoit features look at autoitx.

I just can't see autoit working for a commerical application.... since legally anyone could distrubute your source code.... or decompile it...

If you looking for a language for commercial applications check here BloodShed its personally what I use.... Autoit isn't really for commerical applications and those that have attempted it are just fooling themselfs.... :whistle:

• Moderators

there is no possible way to stop it... change the encoding method of the autoit script and it takes 5 minutes to be able to decode the exe again...

I agree with the security issue you've stated, but the above quote just isn't true.

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

• Moderators

give me a compile autoit exe i show ya a unencodeit and decompiled source :whistle:

I didn't say it wasn't possible... In fact, I agreed with your security assessment and concern issue... but some security measures taken are a bit harder for the "novice" to overcome, and even with a knowledgeable reverse engineer could very well take more than "5" minutes.

And by me posting anything that I do, or have done, or that others have proven to be "more difficult" I'd be defeating the purpose IMO.

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

• Moderators

"Autoit executables arn't really executables they are a scrpting engine exe with a plain text script attached within the exe."

where'd you find this out?

Open the help file under compiled scripts:

Technical Details

The compiled script and additional files added with FileInstall are compressed with my own (Jon) compression scheme.

Because a compiled script must "run" itself without a password it needs to be able to decrypt itself - i.e., the encryption is two-way. For this reason you should regard the compiled exe as being encoded rather than completely safe. For example, if I wrote a script that contained a username and password (say, for a desktop rollout) then I would be happy using something like a workstation-level user/password but I would not consider it safe for a domain/entire network password unless I was sure that the end-user would not have easy access to the .exe file.

Honestly I wouldn't use autoit for any commerical product....

I did not get the impression that Javier wanted to use AutoIt "for [making] a commercial product". Maybe Javier only wants to "add some AutoIt" [scripts] to a commercial app that they are "working in" - they might not be the authors of the app, but may resell it and wish to add some scripts for their customer base. Perhaps the scripts would be for demos and/or part of a help file - AutoIt seems well suited for that task.

...or maybe I interpreted the OP wrong...

[size="1"][font="Arial"].[u].[/u][/font][/size]

Autoit executables arn't really executables they are a scrpting engine exe with a plain text script attached within the exe.

If they are not really executables then how do they execute without any outside help?

Your description of the scripting engine and text file is correct but you seem to fail with the real executable part as what actually defines what an executable does. A executable is not defined by needing to be compiled by any certain method but it needs to be able to self-execute which AutoIt scripts comply with.

If they are not really executables then how do they execute without any outside help?

The script doesn't compile at all... Its a pre made executable file that has the script attached to it than reads itself to do its actions....

when you distrubute a autoit exe your including a stripped down script engine and the plain text script.

Your description of the scripting engine and text file is correct but you seem to fail with the real executable part as what actually defines what an executable does. A executable is not defined by needing to be compiled by any certain method but it needs to be able to self-execute which AutoIt scripts comply with.

A executable file is a file compiled to byte code with a header.

I personally don't consider the icon resource within a exe or a packed image a exe do you?

Scripts are not true exe's they are resources attached to a macro engine... The source of the script therefore can never be secured

Exe File

Header

MachineCode For the actual exe

Cave

Icons

Images

AutoitScript

InstallFiles

Dialogs

How is autoit scripts a real exe?

http://win32assembly.online.fr/pe-tut1.html Gives a explanation to what a exe consists of (for windows any rate ,elf libs are diffrent(nix exe)).

herewasplato

Well I personally see autoit more as a script language for doing things fast and easy.

One personal use , for me is The network I am on requires certain software to be running to ensure network integrity...

Which is a pain in the rear when you reboot a system....

Anyways back to the question the man asked.....

http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/docs/license.htm

The definition of SOFTWARE PRODUCT includes any files generated by the SOFTWARE PRODUCT, such as compiled script files in the form of standalone executables.

States the range of the License....

Commercial Use. You may sell for profit and freely distribute scripts and/or compiled scripts that were created with the SOFTWARE PRODUCT.

Think it speaks for itself....

Edited by Sykeo

The script doesn't compile at all... Its a pre made executable file that has the script attached to it than reads itself to do its actions....

when you distrubute a autoit exe your including a stripped down script engine and the plain text script.

A executable file is a file compiled to byte code with a header.

A compiled AutoIt script executes by itself and yet you say it is not an executable. Sorry, but does not explain what actually is and what is not.

and as far as distributing just the Script files, and requesting that users download the latest version of AutoIT to use them, i cannot see the harm in a larger userbase

HOWEVER, i could see the harm in all the extra users jumping onto the forums to ask all about these "scripts" and how they work.. perhaps in the long run, providing fully check and compiled .exe files produced in autoIT is a better idea, and then if a purcahser of your software requires any more info on them, produce the source (providing you are happy to do so)

if it is so the scripts can be customized to a users system.. perhaps just a decent INI file would be in order.

You suffer from tunnel vision. Did I mention PE standard?

Answer this: If a AutoIt compiled executable is not a executable then what do you call it?

And if Aut2Exe is not a compiler, then what is it?

If you put petrol in a sealed canister with a wick and it blows up, do you call it a bomb? But what if gun power was inside it and it blew up, would you not also call it a bomb?

So are you trying to confuse people or what is with your mythology?

Edited by MHz

• Moderators

If you put petrol in a sealed canister with a wick and it blows up, do you call it a bomb? But what if gun power was inside it and it blew up, would you not also call it a bomb?

:) We call that a wedding here :whistle:

You suffer from tunnel vision. Did I mention PE standard?

Answer this: If a AutoIt compiled executable is not a executable then what do you call it?

And if Aut2Exe is not a compiler, then what is it?

Hold up Magoo....

"You suffer from tunnel vision. Did I mention PE standard?"

Yea... What ya think a executable file is?? Its the header... download softice someday... or a hexeditor... :whistle:

"Answer this: If a AutoIt compiled executable is not a executable then what do you call it?"

A script engine with a attached script :) Next your going to say bash , .bat's , and csh scripts are executables

"And if Aut2Exe is not a compiler, then what is it?"

Interpreter aka script engine....Wikipedia Compile is actually a very very wrong word for this.... cause what aut2exe does is copy a exe... and append a script to it like ya would a writing to a file. (with some basic obscuring methods)

"If you put petrol in a sealed canister with a wick and it blows up, do you call it a bomb? But what if gun power was inside it and it blew up, would you not also call it a bomb?"

I would call it E-Rage E-Rage Defintion (For those without a dictionary)

Are you trying to aruge for any reason but to argue and show how small your e-penis is?

Edited by Sykeo