How to line up second column?

notta

If I output data to a text file, how do you line up the second column so their all even? My first column are all variable length, so adding a couple of tabs after the first column will make the second column look like a staircase.

lksad________________________sadasd

sadklasdka________________________sadasdasd

asdkasldk________________________asdasda

asd________________________asdasd

asdas________________________assdasd

asdasdasdasdasd_________________________asdas

asddddd______________________________asdasdasd

Had to use the __ to keep my spacing. Thanks.

Edited by notta

• Moderators

If I output data to a text file, how do you line up the second column so their all even? My first column are all variable length, so adding a couple of tabs after the first column will make the second column look like a staircase.

lksad________________________sadasd

sadklasdka________________________sadasdasd

asdkasldk________________________asdasda

asd________________________asdasd

asdas________________________assdasd

asdasdasdasdasd_________________________asdas

asddddd______________________________asdasdasd

Had to use the __ to keep my spacing. Thanks.

Well... you'd have to know the length of the longest string in the first column... then "space" that much over and add a space for every character less in each of the other strings.

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

Thanks Smoke for the logic. I think I have all the calculations figured out, but how do I do custom spacing? I was assuming you were talking about using the send command with spaces, but that only does it in the active window and not in the file itself.

FileWriteLine("c:\results.txt", $aRecords[$j] & @tab & Send("{SPACE " & $tempval &"}") & " columm2")

I have searched the forums many times and I'm surprised that the custom spacing issue hasn't been asked more often. What do you do if @TAB, @LF, @CRLF isn't outputting your text exactly where you need it? Just point me in the right direction and I'll work on it. Thanks.

Edited by notta

• Moderators

$LongestStringChars = 20 + 5
Dim $avArray[4] = ['', '1234567890123456789:', '1234567:', '123:']
Dim $aAddTo[4] = ['', 'This1','This2','This3']
Dim $LongestStringChars = (_ArrayStringGetLongest($avArray, 1) + 5), $ExampleString = ''

For $iCC = 1 To UBound($avArray) - 1
    If StringLen($avArray[$iCC]) < $LongestStringChars Then
        Do
            $avArray[$iCC] &= ' '
        Until StringLen($avArray[$iCC]) = $LongestStringChars
    EndIf
    $ExampleString &= $avArray[$iCC] & $aAddTo[$iCC] & @CRLF
Next

ConsoleWrite(@LF & $ExampleString & @LF)

Func _ArrayStringGetLongest($aArray, $iBase = 1)
    If IsArray($aArray) = 0 Then Return SetError(1, 0, 0)
    Local $nNum = 0
    For $iCC = $iBase To UBound($aArray) - 1
        If StringLen($aArray[$iCC]) > $nNum Then $nNum = StringLen($aArray[$iCC])
    Next
    Return Int($nNum)
EndFunc

Edited by SmOke_N

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

As requested, a break down of what I wrote and what it is doing

Dim $avArray[4] = ['', '1234567890123456789:', '1234567:', '123:'];I don't have your array so I had to make my own
Dim $aAddTo[4] = ['', 'This1','This2','This3'];This is the 2nd part, what's added after the first part
Dim $LongestStringChars = (_ArrayStringGetLongest($avArray, 1) + 5), $ExampleString = ''
;$LongestStringChars, finds the longest string and adds 5 to the number so that we have an even spread out

For $iCC = 1 To UBound($avArray) - 1;Base is starting at 1 and going to the max element index of the array
    If StringLen($avArray[$iCC]) < $LongestStringChars Then;If the length of the current string is less than the max lenght we found earlier, then we need to add spaces
        Do
            $avArray[$iCC] &= ' ';Adding a space after the string, &= is String = String & Space
        Until StringLen($avArray[$iCC]) = $LongestStringChars;Keep adding spaces until the new string len of the array element is the same as the longest number + 5
    EndIf
    $ExampleString &= $avArray[$iCC] & $aAddTo[$iCC] & @CRLF;Adding all my array elements into 1 string that can be saved or written to a file or clipboard or sent
Next;Keep looping until Max Element Index is reached

ConsoleWrite(@LF & $ExampleString & @LF);Writing the output to the console so you can see the seperation

Func _ArrayStringGetLongest($aArray, $iBase = 1)
    If IsArray($aArray) = 0 Then Return SetError(1, 0, 0);If you don't pass an array here, it will error and return 0
    Local $nNum = 0;declaring my variable
    For $iCC = $iBase To UBound($aArray) - 1;Base to Max Element Index
        If StringLen($aArray[$iCC]) > $nNum Then $nNum = StringLen($aArray[$iCC]);Keep going through the loop, and if 1 elment string lenght is longer, that's the new max string length
    Next;Keep looping until Max Element Index is reached
    Return Int($nNum);Return the new max string length as an integer
EndFunc