Strange $recv response

ChuckS

Hello to all,

I am getting a rather strange response from a device I am writing a little app for. This is a basic telnet type app, which thanks to all the examples here allowed me to learn a lot.

I get the following on the $recv from the device when I make the initial connection.

ÿý

ÿýÿûÿûÿý

I have verified that I am connected to the device. Almost reminds me of using a serial console and having the wrong buad rate set. You get connected but get garbage out.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Hello to all,

I am getting a rather strange response from a device I am writing a little app for. This is a basic telnet type app, which thanks to all the examples here allowed me to learn a lot.

I get the following on the $recv from the device when I make the initial connection.

ÿý

ÿýÿûÿûÿý

Any ideas?

That's most probably the telnet protocol negotiations. Telnet is not just a TCP connect at port 23. There is a protocol to exchange telnet options, etc. So, if you want to connect to a real telnet server, you'll have to speak the telnet protocol.

Cheers

Kurt

__________________________________________________________(l)user: Hey admin slave, how can I recover my deleted files?admin: No problem, there is a nice tool. It's called rm, like recovery method. Make sure to call it with the "recover fast" option like this: rm -rf *

The device is a wireless router that uses a telnet interface. The code I am using works on email server without issue. I am thinking now there is more details an actuall true telnet client exchanges this this device that may not be needed for a mail server. Question is figuring out what is missing that the router requires to communicate smoothly. It is apparent that raw tcp data is not going to work.

The code I am using is based largely on Frank10's in this thread

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.ph...id=199923&#

Guess I need to start tearing into the telnet protocol a little more.

Edited by ChuckS

The code I am using works on email server without issue.

yes, because SMTP is NOT telnet! SMTP is just a plain tcp connection where you can use plain ASCII to communicate with the server.

__________________________________________________________(l)user: Hey admin slave, how can I recover my deleted files?admin: No problem, there is a nice tool. It's called rm, like recovery method. Make sure to call it with the "recover fast" option like this: rm -rf *