New to Scripting

K3OQ

I am very new to scripting...in fact I have never written a script. However I find myself in a job where it will be a great benefit. From what I have seen and read about AutoIT...along with recommendations from collegues, I believe this may be a good place to start learning. The question I have is this, are there any recommendations regarding beginners books, websites...etc. that I can look to start practicing. One of my first projects is to deploy Adobe 7.0 from an autorun CD to desktops with elevated priveleges...therefore my next question...is this something that can be done using AutoIT?

Thanks in advance,

- Jeff -

Welcome to the community Jeff!

There is a nifty little program written by one (or more) of the members here that is a great start to learning the language. I hope you have a little understanding of programming or this can get confusing. Just keep at it and ask questions (please use the Search button first though).

AutoIt 1-2-3

-CMR

Doh! Smoke_N beat me to it!

Edited by CodeMaster Rapture

One of my first projects is to deploy Adobe 7.0 from an autorun CD to desktops

Does your organization use Active Directory? Are you deploying the full Adobe 7.0 Professional or the Adobe Reader 7.0? Either way, is there an MSI file available for this product? If you have AD and and MSI, then you could deploy this via AD and save a lot of time. Otherwise, did you plan to visit each desktop to deploy Adobe, or did you want to do this from your desk? I have automated many applications' installations and might be able to help. Edited by jefhal
...by the way, it's pronounced: "JIF"... Bob Berry --- inventor of the GIF format

We do use Active Directory and I have an MSI for Adobe 7.0 Professional, however I am not permitted to deploy via AD, which I have done in the past at other organizations. I have been tasked, by management, to work on getting this on CD as an autorun and for it to install using elevated privileges on the desktop. I want to script it a test so that hopefully, if all goes well, it will be the same install everywhere.

Thanks,

- Jeff -

PS...have the tutorial and have started playing around some.

Does your organization use Active Directory? Are you deploying the full Adobe 7.0 Professional or the Adobe Reader 7.0? Either way, is there an MSI file available for this product? If you have AD and and MSI, then you could deploy this via AD and save a lot of time. Otherwise, did you plan to visit each desktop to deploy Adobe, or did you want to do this from your desk? I have automated many applications' installations and might be able to help.