Mem usuage size

Barfly

I am currently running Selenium core through ant and it annoyingly leaves a java.exe process running if the script fails. I then have to open Task manager and compare the two java.exe processes that are running and manually kill the smaller one. I love Autoit and thought that maybe I could create a small script that would do this for me manually, there just does not seem to be an easy way. I have gone through the forum and seen some suggestions, but nothing seems to work for me (unless I am being stupid??).

So basically want I want to do is...

CODE

$list = ProcessList("java.exe")

If $list[0][0] = 1 Then ;Only one instance of java.exe running so exit script

Exit

ElseIf $list[0][0] = 0 Then ;No java.exe running, exit script

Exit

Else

Do

$list = ProcessList("java.exe")

; This is where I want to be able to compare which of them is using the most memory, at the moment I am comparing which one has the smallest ProcessID (not ideal)

If $list[1][1] < $list[2][1] Then

$id = $list[1][1]

Else

$id = $list[2][1]

EndIF

ProcessClose($id)

Until $list[0][0] = 1

EndIf

I do not mind if the answer to this is long winded, but surely it is not that hard???? :whistle:

Hmm...well, when I try to run the script with two mspaint.exe's it seems to work but I also get this error message in SciTE:

C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Desktop\test.au3 (11) : ==> Array variable has incorrect number of subscripts or subscript dimension range exceeded.:

If $list[1][1] < $list[2][1] Then

If $list[1][1] < ^ ERROR

So it seems like something is wrong with the variables, I'm a n00b to AutoIT though so correct me if I'm wrong. But it did close one of my paints.

Also, like I said, I'm a n00b but what is the greater thing it's looking for? I don't see you tell it to look at the amount of CPU taken up or anything.

Edited by HardHackz

[center]My BlogOldSock Programs (AutoIT Apps)A Message to Hackers! (NOT SKIDDIES!)OldSock Programs is my little "company."[/center]

Thanks, I appreciate you trying this.

I know that the script works and that it throws an error. At the moment it is comparing the two processes to see which one has the biggest ProcessID, which makes no sense really. I would like to change this bit of my code with some code that gets and compares the Mem Usuage where I compare the Process size.

PS - I didn't fix the error yet, as the script is not doing what I want yet.

OK, I have found some help buried deep in the forum...w0uter's memory functions, but I cannot get it to give me what I want....OK, I am being really silly here or what?

I can get the code to return a value from $v_Read, but what is it returning exactly it just looks like a number and is not the mem usuage figure I was after? I just want it to return what it states in Task Manager eg: 1,687k or 16,000k in the Mem Usuage column. What am I doing wrong?

Here's a script I put together for you that kills the larger of any number of processes with name $application. It uses Powershell to find the processes and return their working set size and process ids:

#include <Constants.au3>
#include <Array.au3>
Dim $chunk
Dim $application = "notepad"
Opt("TrayIconDebug",1)
HotKeySet("{ESC}","_terminate")
$foo = Run('\\server\path\powershell.exe "gps -name ' & $application & ' | ft -h -a ws,id"',@TempDir,@SW_HIDE,$stdout_child + $stdin_child)
StdinWrite($foo)

While 1
    $chunk &= StdoutRead($foo)
    If @error Then ExitLoop
Wend
$arProcessIDSZ = StringSplit($chunk,@CRLF)
_ArraySort($arProcessIDSZ,1,1)
For $i = UBound($arProcessIDSZ) -1 to 1 Step -1
    If $arProcessIDSZ[$i] = "" Then 
        _ArrayPop($arProcessIDSZ)
        ReDim $arProcessIDSZ[$i]
        $arProcessIDSZ[0] = $i
    Else 
    EndIf
Next
_ArrayDisplay($arProcessIDSZ,"$arProcessIDSZ")
$max = _ArrayMax($arProcessIDSZ)
    $pid = StringTrimLeft($max,StringInStr($max," "))
    MsgBox(1,"Warning","Killing " & $application & " with process ID " & $pid & " now...")
    ;ProcessClose($pid)
Func _terminate()
    Exit 0
EndFunc

Edited by jefhal
...by the way, it's pronounced: "JIF"... Bob Berry --- inventor of the GIF format

Here's a script I put together for you that kills the larger of any number of processes with name $application. It uses Powershell to find the processes and return their working set size and process ids:

#include <Constants.au3>
#include <Array.au3>
Dim $chunk
Dim $application = "notepad"
Opt("TrayIconDebug",1)
HotKeySet("{ESC}","_terminate")
$foo = Run('\\server\path\powershell.exe "gps -name ' & $application & ' | ft -h -a ws,id"',@TempDir,@SW_HIDE,$stdout_child + $stdin_child)
StdinWrite($foo)

While 1
    $chunk &= StdoutRead($foo)
    If @error Then ExitLoop
Wend
$arProcessIDSZ = StringSplit($chunk,@CRLF)
_ArraySort($arProcessIDSZ,1,1)
For $i = UBound($arProcessIDSZ) -1 to 1 Step -1
    If $arProcessIDSZ[$i] = "" Then 
        _ArrayPop($arProcessIDSZ)
        ReDim $arProcessIDSZ[$i]
        $arProcessIDSZ[0] = $i
    Else 
    EndIf
Next
_ArrayDisplay($arProcessIDSZ,"$arProcessIDSZ")
$max = _ArrayMax($arProcessIDSZ)
    $pid = StringTrimLeft($max,StringInStr($max," "))
    MsgBox(1,"Warning","Killing " & $application & " with process ID " & $pid & " now...")
    ;ProcessClose($pid)
Func _terminate()
    Exit 0
EndFunc
Thanks for writing this for me JefHal.

It does seem to work though. I am go to try and mofify it so that it works for me. Thanks again!

:"> Could somone just show me which variable in JefHal's script is the Mem Usuage size? That way I cam compare them? Or where in thwe script that the comparison is done? I cannot get my head around the commands he is using and they are not in the help file. :">

:"> Could somone just show me which variable in JefHal's script is the Mem Usuage size? That way I cam compare them? Or where in thwe script that the comparison is done? I cannot get my head around the commands he is using and they are not in the help file. :">

maybe look on google for powershell.exe

All by me:

"Sometimes you have to go back to where you started, to get to where you want to go." 

"Everybody catches up with everyone, eventually" 

"As you teach others, you are really teaching yourself."

From my dad

"Do not worry about yesterday, as the only thing that you can control is tomorrow."

WindowsError.gif

WIKI | Tabs; | Arrays; | Strings | Wiki Arrays | How to ask a Question | Forum Search | FAQ | Tutorials | Original FAQ | ONLINE HELP | UDF's Wiki | AutoIt PDF

AutoIt Snippets | Multple Guis | Interrupting a running function | Another Send

StringRegExp | StringRegExp Help | RegEXTester | REG TUTOR | Reg TUTOT 2

AutoItSetOption | Macros | AutoIt Snippets | Wrapper | Autoit  Docs

SCITE | SciteJump | BB | MyTopics | Programming | UDFs | AutoIt 123 | UDFs Form | UDF

Learning to script | Tutorials | Documentation | IE.AU3 | Games? | FreeSoftware | Path_Online | Core Language

Programming Tips

Excel Changes

ControlHover.UDF

GDI_Plus

Draw_On_Screen

GDI Basics

GDI_More_Basics

GDI Rotate

GDI Graph

GDI  CheckExistingItems

GDI Trajectory

Replace $ghGDIPDll with $__g_hGDIPDll

DLL 101?

Array via Object

GDI Swimlane

GDI Plus French 101 Site

GDI Examples UEZ

GDI Basic Clock

GDI Detection

Ternary operator

Let me try to decipher the powershell syntax. I like it because it takes up less room than wmi code, but it can be daunting to a new viewer:

powershell.exe "gps -name ' & $application & ' | ft -h -a ws,id"

gps => get-process (gets a list of all processes running on a computer)

& $application & => inserts the AutoIT variable that contains the name of the process that you are looking for (e.g. java)

| ft => pipe to the format-table commandlet

-h => hide the headers (less cleanup required)

-a => automatic formatting (removes spaces before and after the output)

ws,id => only include the workingsetsize and the processid in the output table

All of the lines below the run statement are required to get the output of the powershell shell into AutoIT. The output of the above powershell command line is a table of only the size and the process id for all processes named 'java' that are running on the target machine.

The line without aliases is:

powershell.exe get-process -name java | format-table -hide -auto ws,id

Hope this helps...

...by the way, it's pronounced: "JIF"... Bob Berry --- inventor of the GIF format