Execute External Program issue

:whistle: I can't figure this out. I'm getting an error saying "Unable to execute the external program."

It just is doing the following (I is a mapped network drive - all other mapped drives work doing the below method and I am able to access the I drive via Explorer):

Run("I:\Auto-It files\Prices - Launcher.exe","I:\Auto-It files")

I've rebooted several times. I've disconnected and reconnected the drive (mapping). Any one ever have this problem before?

A decision is a powerful thing

• Moderators

:whistle: I can't figure this out. I'm getting an error saying "Unable to execute the external program."

It just is doing the following (I is a mapped network drive - all other mapped drives work doing the below method and I am able to access the I drive via Explorer):

Run("I:\Auto-It files\Prices - Launcher.exe","I:\Auto-It files")oÝ÷ Øý½êÞn-yÛ½êÚئzÂ7ö÷Ç(wµçZÚÞrçyË^^v¸¯zf©¦)à|¨ç¯z¸Z½ëaÊk¡¹^·¢·¿ªê-y«­¢+ÙIÕ¸ ÌäìÅÕ½Ðí$èÀäÈíÕѼµ%Ð¥±ÌÀäÈíAɥ̴1Õ¹¡È¹áÅÕ½ÐìÌäì±MÉ¥ÁѥȤ

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

Smoke_N, tried that out. The odd thing is every computer up here at work is having this same issue running only AU3 files (even compiled). One of the guys mentioned a Windows update occurred yesterday during the afternoon (grrr). I can't seem to get RunAsSet to do the trick either. It just tells me I have wrong username or password, which is completely wrong because other programs are using it. The drive is an external network drive. This is the only one AU can't seem to connect to. Again, only AU is having the problem. This is driving me nuts. I don't know what to do. I've searched Google. Have you ever heard of this issue before?

My apologies: I am having problems with the other drives not just with the external network drive. I will update my above post after I get another post on this thread.

AU3 files will not run.

Run('f:\t60\Prices - Launcher.exe','f:\t60\')
Run('i:\t60\Prices - Launcher.exe','i:\t60\')oÝ÷ ØÚ'MÄÅë0Ykºv®¶­se'Vâb33¶c¢b3#·Ccb3#·G6ÒæWRb33²Âb33¶c¢b3#·Ccb3#²b33²¥'Vâb33¶¢b3#·Ccb3#·G6ÒæWRb33²Âb33¶¢b3#·Ccb3#²b33²

It's all in the spaces. Smoke_N did post the right solution.

Yeah, haha, I just figured that out too. Why is that? It wasn't like that yesterday morning and hasn't been that way for as long as I've used AU.

I really like to know the whys :whistle:

THANK YOU

• Moderators

Yeah, haha, I just figured that out too. Why is that? It wasn't like that yesterday morning and hasn't been that way for as long as I've used AU.

I really like to know the whys :whistle:

THANK YOU

With spaces, the interpreter assumes that anything after the space is parameter.

You will find that sometimes even using cmd.exe by itself, you have to wrap directory locations with double quotes that have spaces in them.

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

Smoke_N, seriously thank you so much!! You rock! The explanation is so helpful and exciting! :) Im thrilled (yeah, over learning this). Learning what something really means and the whys to it is awesome.

What a load off, too. Its good to know that it was my inadequate understanding of syntax and not something bigger. :whistle:

Manadar, haha yeah man no joke. The odd thing is my scripts have been working fine for two months now without a problem. Nonetheless, it was user error :lol: and I need to write it properly.

Yahoo, thanks guys! :)

Do you either of you (or anyone else) know why it would work for two months and then not work now? Granted I need to be writing it correctly, but Im so curious and interested in why it was working and not now. I think its because I was using vars (habit of mine), instead of directly placing the file name and location in run()

Run($location&$program,$location)

Could this be why?

• Moderators

Do you either of you (or anyone else) know why it would work for two months and then not work now? Granted I need to be writing it correctly, but Im so curious and interested in why it was working and not now. I think its because I was using vars (habit of mine), instead of directly placing the file name and location in run()

Run($location&$program,$location)

Could this be why?

The string and the Vars are the same, so that wouldn't make the difference... I can only think that maybe you changed the syntax that before it didn't have spaces and now it does.

Edit:

Maybe you were using FileGetShortName()?

Edited by SmOke_N

Thanks Lar and Smoke for the explanations! :whistle:

Smoke_N, I wasn't using FileGetShortName() and my syntax before was using spaces too. Odd. In consideration of Lar's explanation, I'm wondering if since I had an update yesterday Microsoft's interpretation of my strings may have changed (the prerequisites were updated by MS). Just a wondering. Obviously you guys know far more than I do!

Thanks again! Learning this stuff today is a delight. :)