Weird Permission problem with script Run-ning

Ok, I'm autmating an install of Nvivo 7 which gets pushed out by our network's SMS software. Great idea in principle, but Nvivo 7 is a pain in the butt due to a certain part of it's msi being very poorly implemented.

So, my specific problem is this. I have implement MHz's RunAsAdmin function within my script - which reruns the script itself with admin rights.

When I log in as the standard User and manually browse to the windows sms cache folder and double click the script.exe everything works perfectly.

When I use our network SMS software to run that same exe, it fails... tearing out hair here!!!

Note, it is running off local HDD in both occasions, and our SMS software uses the same account to run the exe as the RunAsAdmin function uses to restart the script with admin rights...

Any ideas?

Pls?

One issue could be that you are using Run() to restart the script and SMS may continue on to the next install which may foul the restart of your script running the MSI, so perhaps using RunWait() on the restart may help.

Also as you mention that SMS is running already as admin so restart is not needed so you could add a check using "If IsAdmin() Then Return" at the start of the function before the restart code so you script continues with current admin permissions.

I have a few variations of RunAsSet() restart code so I cannot know for sure of what you are executing. Hope the above helps to give you good direction to solve your issue.

:whistle:

One issue could be that you are using Run() to restart the script and SMS may continue on to the next install which may foul the restart of your script running the MSI, so perhaps using RunWait() on the restart may help.

Also as you mention that SMS is running already as admin so restart is not needed so you could add a check using "If IsAdmin() Then Return" at the start of the function before the restart code so you script continues with current admin permissions.

I have a few variations of RunAsSet() restart code so I cannot know for sure of what you are executing. Hope the above helps to give you good direction to solve your issue.

Nope. Unfortunately for that good idea of yours, SMS is only pushing this one package. It's so frustrating!

; AutoRun "Script.exe" as Admin ; By MHz on AutoIt Forums
Func OnAutoItStart()
    ; Add User name
    Local $user = 'adminaccount'
    ; Add Domain name
    Local $domain = 'NetworkDomain'
    ; Add Password
    Local $password = 'AdminPassword'
    ;
    ; Check incoming parameters
    If Not $CMDLINE[0] Then
        ; No parameters then restart as admin
        RunAsSet($user, $domain, $password)

;MsgBox(0, "Try running this!", @ComSpec & ' /c "' & @AutoItExe & '" /AutoIt3ExecuteScript "' & @ScriptFullPath & '" /admin')
        Run('"' & @AutoItExe & '" /AutoIt3ExecuteScript "' & @ScriptFullPath & '" /admin')
        RunAsSet()

Exit
    ElseIf $CMDLINE[1] <> '/admin' Then
        ; Exit script with exit code 1
        Exit 1
    EndIf
EndFunc

That's the version I'm using. It's worked well for me in other scripts. And yes, it's odd to the extreme that the SMS installer account isn't enough to install the program, but this Nvivo has a dodgy msi that uses the logged on user's account for a particular function. Note, that's the *logged on user's account*, not the account that's running the install (ie: the sms installer account). Which is why I added this runAsAdmin function to the script - and it works if I log on as the user account, browse to the folder it's hiding in and double click the exe, but does not work when sms tries to run the script. Bizarre.

As you can see I tried to add @ComSpec at the beginning of the Run command, but that didn't help. One thing I have noticed though, is that the @AutoItExe path contains a '~' character in one of the folders, whereas the @ScriptFullPath is the exact same path but without that '~' (ie: it's the full path).

I wouldn't expect that to make a difference... however a lot things about this install don't make sense (to me) so maybe that's it...?

This is the changes as I previously advised. If the script inherits admin rights then it does not need RunAsSet() as for the IsAdmin() check.

Func OnAutoItStart()
    ; Add User name
    ; Add Domain name
    ; Add Password
    ;
    ; Already an admin
    If IsAdmin() Then Return
    If Not $CMDLINE[0] Then

;MsgBox(0, "Try running this!", @ComSpec & ' /c "' & @AutoItExe & '" /AutoIt3ExecuteScript "' & @ScriptFullPath & '" /admin')
        RunWait('"' & @AutoItExe & '" /AutoIt3ExecuteScript "' & @ScriptFullPath & '" /admin')
        RunAsSet()

Exit
        Exit 1
    EndIf
EndFunc

You may need to use the logging switch and check the log of the install created with the MSI or use other methods to help identify the cause.

If the SMS is using a system level account then perhaps using RunAsSet() may hinder the operation? I would try without RunAsSet() also to eliminate possibilities.

This is the changes as I previously advised. If the script inherits admin rights then it does not need RunAsSet() as for the IsAdmin() check.

You may need to use the logging switch and check the log of the install created with the MSI or use other methods to help identify the cause.

If the SMS is using a system level account then perhaps using RunAsSet() may hinder the operation? I would try without RunAsSet() also to eliminate possibilities.

k ta, I'll give it a try (but won't hold my breath! B-) ).

Ok, when using the modified script above (with the IsAdmin()) the script is run by SMS but the nvivo msi fails with a psapi error. This is the consistant annoying troublesome pain in the ass error that seems to be caused by the msi using logged on user account to run that particular function. Nvivo's official forum response has been the ever so useful "make sure you are logged on as an admin when running the msi.". Sheesh!

When running the script *without* the IsAdmin(), and pushed by SMS I get an AutoIt Error.

Line 0 (File "C:\Folder\Path\Script.exe"):

RunWait('"' & @AutoItExe & '" /AutoIt3ExecuteScript "' & @ScriptFullPath & '" /admin')

Error: Unable to execute the external program.

Access is denied.

If I just double click on the script.exe as the standard user, it runs and works.

*tearing hair out in frustration*

B-)

Please, someone, gimme a clue!!! B-)

Try setting a working directory as below.

Func OnAutoItStart()
    ; Add User name
    ; Add Domain name
    ; Add Password
    ;
    ; Set a working directory for the script.
    FileChangeDir(@TempDir)
    ; Already an admin
    If IsAdmin() Then Return
    If Not $CMDLINE[0] Then

RunWait('"' & @AutoItExe & '" /AutoIt3ExecuteScript "' & @ScriptFullPath & '" /admin', @TempDir)
        RunAsSet()

Exit
        Exit 1
    EndIf
EndFunc

The "If Admin() Then Return" line is perhaps an issue so consider testing with that line commented as well.

Mmm. No darned difference... see what I mean about frustrating?

I wonder if I had the script copy the entire installation folder to @TempDir, ran the install from there, and then deleted it all, if that would make a difference. In other words, maybe it's the folder path of @AutoItExe being concatenated with a ~ that's causing the problem... ?

Downside to that is making sure there's space for the package available, but that would be preferable to not having the package work at all! B-)

I appreciate the help you are giving me! Thankyou! B-)

I have solved my problem. If you run as the system account then the script works. I was trying to install an MSI and that did not want to install under the admin account. But, when I let it install under the system account I had no problem.

The only question I have now is WHY?

Why will this not install an MSI under the admin account?