Newbie trying to automate Gmail

Gmail have an annoying habit of occasionally dumping legitimate posts into their spam folder. Currently, I manually go and move those into my Inbox every couple of weeks, but was looking to automate this.

I can't get any of the click operations to work after I've submitted the logon form, whether it's to sign out of GMail or to click on the right buttons. Am I just doing something daft? I am a newbie to AutoIt so I suspect the answer is probably yes.

All that happens is that I log on, I see the AutoIt icon for 20 seconds, and then it exits.

Cheers

#include <IE.au3>

$oIE = _IECreate()

_IENavigate($oIE, "http://mail.google.com")

; get pointers to the login form and username and password fields

$o_form = _IEFormGetObjByName($oIE, "gaia_loginform")

$o_login = _IEFormElementGetObjByName($o_form, "Email")

$o_password = _IEFormElementGetObjByName($o_form, "Passwd")

; Set field values and submit the form

_IEFormElementSetValue($o_login, "my user name")

_IEFormElementSetValue($o_password, "my password")

_IEFormSubmit($o_form)

; _IELoadWait($oIE)

Sleep (20000)

;_IELinkClickByText($oIE, "Spam")

;_IELinkClickByText($oIE, "All")

;_IELinkClickByText($oIE, "Not Spam")

_IELinkClickByText($oIE, "Sign out")

Exit

The resulting page uses Frames...

You can examine the dynamically created page source with this:

#include <IE.au3>
$oIE = _IEAttach("Gmail - Inbox")
ConsoleWrite(_IEDocReadHTML($oIE))

In here you'll find:

<FRAMESET border=0 frameSpacing=0 rows=100%,* frameBorder=0 onload=lj()>
<FRAME name=main src="?view=page&amp;name=loading&amp;ver=1q2chc66hnxek" frameBorder=0 noResize scrolling=no>
<FRAME name=js src="?view=page&amp;name=loading&amp;ver=1q2chc66hnxek" frameBorder=0 noResize>
</FRAMESET>

Please read about the _IEFrame* functions.

Dale

Free Internet Tools: DebugBar, AutoIt IE Builder, HTTP UDF, MODIV2, IE Developer Toolbar, IEDocMon, Fiddler, HTML Validator, WGet, curl

MSDN docs: InternetExplorer Object, Document Object, Overviews and Tutorials, DHTML Objects, DHTML Events, WinHttpRequest, XmlHttpRequest, Cross-Frame Scripting, Office object model

Automate input type=file (Related)

Alternative to _IECreateEmbedded? better: _IECreatePseudoEmbedded  Better Better?

IE.au3 issues with Vista - Workarounds

SciTe Debug mode - it's magic: #AutoIt3Wrapper_run_debug_mode=Y

Doesn't work needs to be ripped out of the troubleshooting lexicon. It means that what you tried did not produce the results you expected. It begs the questions 1) what did you try?, 2) what did you expect? and 3) what happened instead?

Reproducer: a small (the smallest?) piece of stand-alone code that demonstrates your trouble

• 7 months later...

In Gmail there is an iFrame inside a Frame... outer Frame is "main", iFrame name is "v1".

Suggest you try DebugBar (see my sig) - it makes this very easy.

Dale

Free Internet Tools: DebugBar, AutoIt IE Builder, HTTP UDF, MODIV2, IE Developer Toolbar, IEDocMon, Fiddler, HTML Validator, WGet, curl

MSDN docs: InternetExplorer Object, Document Object, Overviews and Tutorials, DHTML Objects, DHTML Events, WinHttpRequest, XmlHttpRequest, Cross-Frame Scripting, Office object model

Alternative to _IECreateEmbedded? better: _IECreatePseudoEmbedded  Better Better?

Doesn't work needs to be ripped out of the troubleshooting lexicon. It means that what you tried did not produce the results you expected. It begs the questions 1) what did you try?, 2) what did you expect? and 3) what happened instead?

Reproducer: a small (the smallest?) piece of stand-alone code that demonstrates your trouble

Hi Dale,

Thanks a lot for the reply. And DebugBar is really useful. I was playing with it <_<

I can click 'sign out' now. This is the code section...

$oFrame = _IEFrameGetObjByName ($oIE, "main")
          $oDiv = _IEGetObjByID($oFrame, "d_v1")
          $oIframe = _IEFrameGetObjByName ($oDiv, "v1")
        _IELinkClickByText($oIframe, "Sign out")
        _IEQuit($oIE)

Now the problem is that the code would not proceed after '_IELinkClickByText' It keeps hanging there. Any idea what might be the cause?

Also I wanted to click on settings as well. Its inside a <SPAN> tag. Trying to click it now. All the other links I can click using the above method.

Thanks

Jester009

Now the problem is that the code would not proceed after '_IELinkClickByText' It keeps hanging there. Any idea what might be the cause?

Try setting the wait parameter to 0 or False in _IELinkClickByText. Google does some inexpected things with AJAX that sometimes appear to create cross-site security issues - although they are not in the classic sense.

Also I wanted to click on settings as well. Its inside a <SPAN> tag. Trying to click it now. All the other links I can click using the above method.

Take a look at _IETagNameGetCollection and get a reference to the SPAN in question. You can then use _IEAction to click on it.

Dale

Try setting the wait parameter to 0 or False in _IELinkClickByText. Google does some inexpected things with AJAX that sometimes appear to create cross-site security issues - although they are not in the classic sense.

Tried that before. does not work. At my wits end now...

Take a look at _IETagNameGetCollection and get a reference to the SPAN in question. You can then use _IEAction to click on it.

Span problem is common to other links (compose mail, inbox, etc) This is the code I'm using.

Sleep(1000)
$oSet1 = _IEGetObjByID($oIframe, "prf_g")
$oSet = _IETagNameGetCollection($oSet1, "span")
_IEAction($oSet, "click")
MsgBox(0, "Extended", @extended)
MsgBox(0, "Error", @error)

Always get extended and error value as 0. I have really ran out solutions <_<

You're trying to click an entire collection.

$o_fRTBLinks = _IELinkGetCollection($oIE_RTB)
        $i_RTBNumLinks = @extended
        For $o_fRTBLink In $o_fRTBLinks
            If StringInStr($o_fRTBLink.href, "MbrSwitchServlet") > 0 Then
                $href_RTBLink = $o_fRTBLink.href
                ExitLoop
            EndIf
        Next
        _IENavigate($oIE_RTB, $href_RTBLink, 1)

In my example, I match text in the href link to click the proper object, not the entire collection.

Edit: Forgot the _IENavigate()

Edited by Blue_Drache

Lofting the cyberwinds on teknoleather wings, I am...The Blue Drache

Sorry my code should be like this

Sleep(1000)
$oSet1 = _IEGetObjByID($oIframe, "prf_g")
$oSet = _IETagNameGetCollection($oSet1, "span", 0)
_IEAction($oSet, "click")
MsgBox(0, "Extended", @extended)
MsgBox(0, "Error", @error)

I'm clicking by index. Another thing is I can't see a link for 'settings' <_<

Edited by Jester009

Please summarize your current situation... what have you accomplished and what are you still trying to do?

Dale

is this your problem?

; get pointers to the login form and username and password fields

$o_form = _IEFormGetObjByName($oIE, "gaia_loginform")

You keep talking about GMAIL, but your OP mentions GAIA.

That's odd, when I tried to scrape the screen, I got the "Javascript must be enabled to use Gmail in standard view." junk. :/

Switched to HTML view and used this code to get to the settings page.

#include <IE.au3>
$hwndFile = FileOpen(@TempDir & "\IETemp.txt", 2)
If $hwndFile = -1 Then
    DBP("Blah", "File Creation Error", 80, 0)
    Exit 80
EndIf

$oIE_Gmail = _IEAttach("Inbox")
CrashRun($oIE_Gmail)
$o_GLinks = _IELinkGetCollection($oIE_Gmail)
For $o_GLink In $o_GLinks
    If StringInStr($o_GLink.href, "?v=prg") > 0 Then
        $href_GLink = $o_GLink.href
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
Next
_IENavigate($oIE_Gmail,$href_GLink)

#region Function: Debugger #1:  Displays HTML
Func CrashRun($oIE, $i_flag = 0)
    ClipPut(_IEDocReadHTML($oIE))
    If $i_flag = 0 Then
        FileWrite($hwndFile, _IEDocReadHTML($oIE))
        FileClose($hwndFile)
        Run('Notepad "' & @TempDir & '\IETemp.txt"')
        Sleep(1000)
        FileDelete($hwndFile)
    EndIf
EndFunc   ;==>CrashRun
#endregion
#region Function: Debugger #2:  Displays Console writes about errors with optional Message boxes.
Func DBP($s_ver = "", $s_msg = "", $i_err = 0, $i_flag = 0)
    ; s_msg is the message displayed, $i_err is the error code
    ; $i_flag toggles messagebox display.  Easily converts your debug notes into a custom errorhandler
    If $s_ver = "" Then $s_ver = "DBP: Error notification" 
    If $s_msg = "" Then $s_msg = "Undefined message and/or error" 
    $s_msg = "[" & @HOUR & ":" & @MIN & ":" & @SEC & "] " & $s_msg
    ConsoleWrite($s_msg & "  Error: " & $i_err & @LF)
    If $i_flag = 1 Then MsgBox(0x1010, $s_ver, $s_msg & @LF & "Error: " & $i_err)
    SetError($i_err) ; returns $i_err as @error
EndFunc   ;==>DBP
#endregion

I must admit that I am rather puzzled about how the Settings element works. .focus and .click are not sufficient to activate it. There is something very creative being done that would take more research into the CSS and Javascript involved.

In any case, this works.

#include <IE.au3>
$oIframe = _IEFrameGetObjByName ($oFrame, "v1")
$oSpan = _IETagNameGetCollection($oIframe, "span", 1)

; Get coordinates of Settings
$x = _IEPropertyGet($oSpan, "screenx")
$y = _IEPropertyGet($oSpan, "screeny")
$w = _IEPropertyGet($oSpan, "width")
$h = _IEPropertyGet($oSpan, "height")
; Move mouse to it and click
MouseMove($x + $w/2, $y + $h/2)
MouseClick( "", $x + $w/2, $y + $h/2)

Dale

Edited by DaleHohm

Thanks a lot for Blue_Drache and Dale.

Seems can't do anything with the standard view on. Think basic html view is the way...

Thanks again guys

I'm puzzled by your last post. The example I wrote for you does what you asked for.

Dale