Is autoit up to par?

lolp1

This is probably a age-old question with auto-it, anyways to the point. Theres been more and more bigger and better things with auto-it, but are any of these up to par with other languages? Most of them just go unnoticed and unused.

The (probably) most wide used completely autoit program is MM.bot (some odd 10 thousand users). Why are no other auto-it programs so widely used? Could it be there not 'up to par' with other languages yet, or could it be just not enough 'exposure'? Or could it be something else..

It depends on the popularity of the application which the scripter has written - and the market place for which this app is written for.

A bot application is very popular because there are many users who want to use the application. This can be compared to an AutoIt music player (for example), which has very few users.

This is also a result of how many of such applications are already on the "market" - there are pleanty of good free music players - and there are only a few good free bot making programs (or similar).

#)

• Moderators

It depends on the popularity of the application which the scripter has written - and the market place for which this app is written for.

A bot application is very popular because there are many users who want to use the application. This can be compared to an AutoIt music player (for example), which has very few users.

This is also a result of how many of such applications are already on the "market" - there are pleanty of good free music players - and there are only a few good free bot making programs (or similar).

#)

And you may be using them and not even know it. Most don't advertise I'm sure what language it is written in for their own protection. Those that want to know will find out anyway, those that have no clue, well... they can just remain that way :whistle: .

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

Someone would have to specify what "Par" is first. And by the time the arguments stopped...everyone would have retired...

Seriously, I think another criteria set might be employed...make one up if you can't find one that fits... :whistle:

Consider this:

Of the ( languages / applications / coding formats ) that are out there, what are the features you admire or must have, and does Au3 fit into that vision?

Of the (l/a/cf) out there, which of them is actively generating more new stuff than most folks can keep track of ? Errr...that may be a neg. as well as as pos., but ymmv.

Personally, I'm big on extensibility.

I also find active community a plus.

And since Au3 has the basic coding structure I've worked with for ... over 30 years :) makes it work well for me.

Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.-Daniel Webster

Someone would have to specify what "Par" is first. And by the time the arguments stopped...everyone would have retired...

Seriously, I think another criteria set might be employed...make one up if you can't find one that fits... :whistle:

Consider this:

Of the ( languages / applications / coding formats ) that are out there, what are the features you admire or must have, and does Au3 fit into that vision?

Of the (l/a/cf) out there, which of them is actively generating more new stuff than most folks can keep track of ? Errr...that may be a neg. as well as as pos., but ymmv.

Personally, I'm big on extensibility.

I also find active community a plus.

And since Au3 has the basic coding structure I've worked with for ... over 30 years :P makes it work well for me.

i'm actually becoming biased towards other langauges, nice clean syntax is more important for me. just too bad about the limits though.

Don't bother, It's inside your monitor!------GUISetOnEvent should behave more like HotKeySet()

• 2 weeks later...

Universal Extractor is a famous and very used program, and it's made in AutoIt.

[quote name='Valik' post='301213' date='Jan 31 2007, 10:36 PM']You seem to have a habit of putting things in the wrong place. I feel sorry for any female you attempt to have sex with.[/quote][font="Lucida Sans Unicode"][/font]

Universal Extractor is a famous and very used program, and it's made in AutoIt.

I can't live without UniExtract. Is has saved me hours of install time when i can just get all the files out of the archive easily

I think another point to make here, is that a lot of people who make scripts/programs in autoIT make them for personal/private use.. and never really intend to include cross system functionality as part of the finished product.

Most of the things i make for the school i work in, will never run anywhere else, because of certain things that are hard coded (things that will never change, such as server names, room names etc)

whilst i could make a lot of it universal and system independent, the coding time doesn't exist for me. but as i get better with the language, and faster at generating basic script principles for my projects, i am slowly moving towards things that can be moved around more easily.

Perhaps the other reason for not seeing a lot of it, is because all that is offered here on the forums is an "example scripts" section, which seems to get filled with a lot of UDFs, and scripts that much like mine, are created for a specific localised function. and whilst as a resource these are amazing, as a gauge of what is truly out there in use, and was created using autoIT is extremely in-accurate.