Trying To Send "_" With Controlsend, Results A "-"

pekster's ControlSendPlus UDF works around it, get it http://www.autoitscript.com/fileman/users/public/_pekster_resource/pekster%27s%20scripting%20index.html

"I'm not even supposed to be here today!" -Dante (Hicks)

Any idea? Will this function be corrected / tweaked soon?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe the problem lies in the how the application providing the problems handles keystrokes, and not AutoIt. My UDF is a work-around that sets the global shift (or alt or control as the case warrents) instead of the local one. I would recomend that you block input while this function executes, because by using the global keyboard state, the user could interfere with the sending of the keystrokes.

[font="Optima"]"Standing in the rain, twisted and insane, we are holding onto nothing.Feeling every breath, holding no regrets, we're still looking out for something."[/font]Note: my projects are off-line until I can spend more time to make them compatable with syntax changes.

• Administrators

I believe the problem lies in the how the application providing the problems handles keystrokes, and not AutoIt. My UDF is a work-around that sets the global shift (or alt or control as the case warrents) instead of the local one. I would recomend that you block input while this function executes, because by using the global keyboard state, the user could interfere with the sending of the keystrokes.

Due to a snafu when testing fixes for this the current 3.0.102 release works with global shift/alt/etc when using ControlSend...

Due to a snafu when testing fixes for this the current 3.0.102 release works with global shift/alt/etc when using ControlSend...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:ph34r:

I kinda liked the old method since the user couldn't screw it up. If ControlSend now uses the global state, any script that using ControlSend to talk to a non-active window runs the risk of getting messed up if the user happends to press one of the modifier keys.

By "current 3.0.102" release do you mean the official release, the beta, or both?

Edited by pekster

[font="Optima"]"Standing in the rain, twisted and insane, we are holding onto nothing.Feeling every breath, holding no regrets, we're still looking out for something."[/font]Note: my projects are off-line until I can spend more time to make them compatable with syntax changes.

• Administrators

:(

I kinda liked the old method since the user couldn't screw it up. If ControlSend now uses the global state, any script that using ControlSend to talk to a non-active window runs the risk of getting messed up if the user happends to press one of the modifier keys.

By "current 3.0.102" release do you mean the official release, the beta, or both?

It was an accident, like I say I was testing fixes out and then the other day i noticed that I'd left it in "global" mode for the 3.0.102 released version. Never really sure what to do for the best with this one. Using the machine while sending stuff has always been hit and miss - windows does some crazy things with the keyboard state. It's a shame it doesn't work with DOS programs but I suppose the older way was better for the majority? :ph34r:

I suppose the older way was better for the majority?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would agree with that. I think a lot of people choose to use the Control* functions so that they can either do other tasks in the foreground, or let the end user continue on their task while the script completes task in a hidden window. Unless the user is aware that they may not press any modifier keys durring execution, scripts could send incorrect keystrokes to windows.

Either way, we'll have people comming to the forum every now and then with problems. I like the local send simply because you can program a global send. However, with that functionality removed, we would be unable to use a local send to the app when we did want it.

Readability edit

Edited by pekster

• 1 month later...