Working With Text Files Easy Answer...

For some reason the solution is just not comming to me...

I have a text files that has 50 items added to it countless times (1000 times actually). My question is, before I write those 50 items each time, how would i check to make sure that there is not an item on the list that is the same as the one that is just being entered.

this is what i Have:

$sURL = "http://www.neopets.com/neoboards/boardlist.phtml?board=1"
  $UserList = _GetUsers($sURL)

$filename = "users.txt"
  FileOpen ($filename, 1)
;Check if file opened for writing OK
  If $filename = -1 Then
    MsgBox(0, "Error", "Unable to open file.")
    Exit
  EndIf

For $wx = 1 to 50
    $ifexists = FileReadLine ($filename, $wx)
    If $ifexists <> $UserList[$wx]Then
      FileWriteLine($filename, $UserList[$wx])
    Else 
      MsgBox ( 3, "doubles", $UserList[$wx])
    EndIf
  Next
  FileClose ($filename)

The problem is that I cant use read line because the number of lines changes, unless instead of a line value i somehow use get size?

Edited by mcfr1es

Roger! You son of a big pile o' Monkey Nuts.

• Developers

For some reason the solution is just not comming to me...

I have a text files that has 50 items added to it countless times (1000 times actually). My question is, before I write those 50 items each time, how would i check to make sure that there is not an item on the list that is the same as the one that is just being entered.

this is what i Have:

The problem is that I cant use read line because the number of lines changes, unless instead of a line value i somehow use get size?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am a bit lost as to what you want to accomplish. The code looks somewhat strange trying to Read and Write from/to the same file... is this working ?

Looks to me you need to get your records and matching done in an arra7y and then when ready write the array to a file.

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

I am a bit lost as to what you want to accomplish. The code looks somewhat strange trying to Read and Write from/to the same file...  is this working ?

Looks to me you need to get your records and matching done in an arra7y and then when ready write the array to a file.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, lets make it simple, I want to write an array to a file but before i do so, i want to check to make sure the values im entering are not already in the file, and if they are, i do not want them written. How do i go about doing this?

• Developers

Ok, lets make it simple, I want to write an array to a file but before i do so, i want to check to make sure the values im entering are not already in the file, and if they are, i do not want them written. How do i go about doing this?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would read the records from the file into an Array.

Then check the value you want to write against the array first and when not found write it.

The thing i don't understand is that you talk about 50 records and about 1000 times.

Do you only want to compare against the first 50 records or all records ??

Edited by JdeB

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

Then check the value you want to write against the array first and when not found write it.

The thing i don't understand is that you talk about 50 records and about 1000 times.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

sounds to me like he's trying to get usernames off of something like a forum with 50 users and 20 posts each, and he just wants a list of usernames without dupes...

"I'm not even supposed to be here today!" -Dante (Hicks)

sounds to me like he's trying to get usernames off of something like a forum with 50 users and 20 posts each, and he just wants a list of usernames without dupes...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

exactly what emmanuel said and i want no dupes

(50 x 1000 actually...)

Edited by mcfr1es

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Every time that 50 new records are added, i want it to check the text file to see if the values that im entering are already there and if not i wish them to be added

Every time that 50 new records are added, i want it to check the text file to see if the values that im entering are already there and if not i wish them to be added

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Read the list of users into an array that you can use durring program execution.

Then, for each new user, check it against the entire array, one element at a time (hint: you'll want a For loop for this task.)

If it does exist, you can continue onto the next user without adding the user, since that is already added to the array. If not, expand the array with ReDim, and continue onto the next name.

[font="Optima"]"Standing in the rain, twisted and insane, we are holding onto nothing.Feeling every breath, holding no regrets, we're still looking out for something."[/font]Note: my projects are off-line until I can spend more time to make them compatable with syntax changes.