Closing Program

This is a feasibility question...

In my office, we use Microsoft Office Communicator pretty extensively.

It does not automatically save the chat history- which can be quite frustrating. It does have an option on the menu to email yourself the chat history.

Is there a way - to have autoit watch for chat windows being closed, interrupt the close and select the option to email the chat history?

Also - I'm not looking for someone to do the programming - I'd just like some basic guidelines on what commands to look at (if it's possible)

Edited by Phases

• Moderators

Trying to spy on some girl in the office? :whistle:

Wouldn't it just be easier to set it to set the "save" the chat file history by default, or even email on close by default? Seems it would be the same effort involved if not less.

I don't even know if that's an option, might go poke around on Microsofts site to see.

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

Wouldn't it just be easier to set it to set the "save" the chat file history by default, or even email on close by default? Seems it would be the same effort involved if not less.

I don't even know if that's an option, might go poke around on Microsofts site to see.

press alt + f11 in the program, and it should bring up vba, in there, you should be able to choose the event to set code for, there should be a 'before close' or 'before exit' event, in there you should be able to set it to save the active chat. i know it's not an autoit solution, but it does solve your problem. i'll take a look if we have communicator here, and i'll see if i can't whip up a COM solution using autoit after lunch

LOL - no. I have to keep a record my my discussions with my staff. CYA issue.

press alt + f11 in the program, and it should bring up vba, in there, you should be able to choose the event to set code for, there should be a 'before close' or 'before exit' event, in there you should be able to set it to save the active chat. i know it's not an autoit solution, but it does solve your problem. i'll take a look if we have communicator here, and i'll see if i can't whip up a COM solution using autoit after lunch

ALT-F11 did not bring up VBA...

ALT-F11 did not bring up VBA...

cool, that's the hotkey in other office apps, i'll look into it. bad assumption on my part.

***edit***

the only scripting documentation i can find dealing with communicator involves the server so it's probably not the way that you want to go... we don't use it here at the office, and i know that i don't use it at home, so it looks like there's not much that i can do to help on this one...

Edited by cameronsdad

cool, that's the hotkey in other office apps, i'll look into it. bad assumption on my part.

***edit***

the only scripting documentation i can find dealing with communicator involves the server so it's probably not the way that you want to go... we don't use it here at the office, and i know that i don't use it at home, so it looks like there's not much that i can do to help on this one...

Oh well. I guess I'll just get into the habit of hitting File->Send as email

*sigh*

• Moderators

Oh well. I guess I'll just get into the habit of hitting File->Send as email

*sigh*

The idea that you should be most wanting to know, is how to hook the window so you know when it's closing to even achieve any of the other.

I mean, you could use WinMenuSelectItem maybe, maybe set up a ControlGetText() + _InetSMTPMail() to mail the text of the chat... I think the chat thing is medial in comparison of making sure AutoIt knows what to do and when to do it personally.

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

Is there a way - to have autoit watch for chat windows being closed, interrupt the close and select the option to email the chat history?

What if you monitored the chat like once per minute and saved the chat contents. When the window is closed, the chat monitor would notice that and then send the chat history. Dunno if it takes too much cpu/ram..?

Maybe monitoring the status bar would make it easier to see when the chat has new entries.

The crucial part of this solution is WinGetText(): can it see the contents of the chat window?

Edited by amokoura

What if you monitored the chat like once per minute and saved the chat contents. When the window is closed, the chat monitor would notice that and then send the chat history. Dunno if it takes too much cpu/ram..?

Maybe monitoring the status bar would make it easier to see when the chat has new entries.

The crucial part of this solution is WinGetText(): can it see the contents of the chat window?

Thanks for the ideas.

If I get some time - I'll see what I can cobble together. :-)