Using AutoIt3 has a productivity tool (i.e. mainly Hotkey manager)

I currently use GeoShell and ShellEnhancer to enhance my productivity. A friend mentioned AutoIt3 as a good replacement for the two tools. Basically, I need a hotkey manager that supports displaying of menus; I can think of other cool things that I can do given that scripting is supported, but right now I am not doing anything tricky. So far I am getting a gist that AutoIt3 is an automation tool and my use is probably not going to be very efficient, i.e. AutoIt3 is more appropriate for operations that do something and then are done, instead of my continuously running goals. Below are the things that I am looking for; can you please let me know if AutoIt3 is a program that I should invest time in learning and setting up?

• Hotkeys for running programs. Simple Win+N for firefox, Win+X for command prompt, Win+Ctrl+Z for Notepad2, etc. I currently have about 30-some shortcuts.
  • Hotkeys for showing menus that are populated with files contained in a folder. I.e. at work I use a program that has separate session files, so I have hotkey setup to popup the contents of the folders that has all the session.
  • KDE/X-like window moving and resizing capabilities. I have seen that AutoHotKey has scripts for doing this, does AutoIt3 have something similar?
  • Shortcuts for Maximizing and Restoring Windows with a single key (Ctrl+Alt+A in my case). This is one thing that my current setup doesn't support. ShellEnhancer can have keys for maximizing, or keys for restoring, but none for doing one or the other based on the current state of the window.

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, AutoIt3 can do all 4 of the tasks that you mentioned.

Many users run AutoIt "scripts" all of the time - meaning that the script never ends unless they end it or turn off the computer. You can define up to 64 simultaneous hotkeys per script. If you need more than that, you can run more than one script or define (assign) certain HotKeys only if a particular window is active and then unassign them once that window is in the background.

Edit typo

Edited by herewasplato

[size="1"][font="Arial"].[u].[/u][/font][/size]