Send text all at once instead of one char at a time?

I'm probably thick, although I've been doing my best to ensure I check the help file and forums before I post, but:

How do you send text all at once?

Send("Error Message")

This sends each character one at a time. I'd like to skip this gonkiness because I have tons of text to type. My scripts run pretty slow because of it.

Is there an easy command that I've just overlooked in the helpfile to make this happen?

Thanks!

Jim

• Moderators

I'm probably thick, although I've been doing my best to ensure I check the help file and forums before I post, but:

How do you send text all at once?

Send("Error Message")

This sends each character one at a time. I'd like to skip this gonkiness because I have tons of text to type. My scripts run pretty slow because of it.

Is there an easy command that I've just overlooked in the helpfile to make this happen?

Thanks!

Jim

What are you sending it to?

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

Just a database program - I also use it in other scripts to key in website addresses into web browsers, etc - I'm just looking for a way to get my "pre-recorded" text to output in a solid chunk, like a copy/paste, rather than 1-character-at-a-time-really-fast.

Thanks!

Jim

• Moderators

Just a database program - I also use it in other scripts to key in website addresses into web browsers, etc - I'm just looking for a way to get my "pre-recorded" text to output in a solid chunk, like a copy/paste, rather than 1-character-at-a-time-really-fast.

Thanks!

Jim

Well ...

You could do it like ClipPut($Var) ... Then Send('^v') ... ($Var containing all the text)

You could Speed up the send key delays (Opt - SendKeyDelay)

You could see if the item you are sending to is a Control and use ControlSetText()

So there are a few options.

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

Smoke,

Thanks - I'll look into all these.

Also, I've been trying like crazy to get a handle on auto IT, but I'm still kind of stumped a lot. Any place you reccomend looking to learn it better? The autoit1-2-3 that I've downloaded seems to be broken somewhat, although I have used it to learn some stuff.

As I'm still trying to learn to script/program in general, it makes it that much more challenging.

Thanks for your advice,

Jim