Making a OS

Hello everyone. I am making an Operating System and I want to know how can I allow it to have things like a popup menu, button, and have a full screen with no frame around it? i am new and It been hard for me to understand differents commands so thats why i am asking. The things I talking about is:

Login Screen

Main Screen

Program included

making a new frame

and many more things.

p.s.

Is there a program that allow the user to lay out his design then convert it to a .au3 code?

Thank you.

Darius

• Moderators

Hello everyone. I am making an Operating System and I want to know how can I allow it to have things like a popup menu, button, and have a full screen with no frame around it? i am new and It been hard for me to understand differents commands so thats why i am asking. The things I talking about is:

Login Screen

Main Screen

Program included

making a new frame

and many more things.

p.s.

Is there a program that allow the user to lay out his design then convert it to a .au3 code?

Thank you.

Darius

You're making a what ... with what???

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

To create a true operating system, I'm assuming that you have collected resources and learnt about it for a few years, and have already created a basic operating system wiht a boot-loader and a Extended OS loader, with a basic "Hello World!" message finally appearing (I've done that).

Then, you would create a working console which handles keyboard interups and has a few basic commands (I've yet to do that).

After that, you wold create/implement a file system (*shivers*), then do som other stuff *arghs*.

Next, you'd want to gain control of the output device (screen), and start up with basic graphics.

Finally, you'll handle with program control (assuming you haven't done that monster of a thing already), window control, program-window bindings, and all other ******. You'll have a *very basic* OS running. *faints*

I gave up on the first step. After 1 year of effort.

Now, I'm gonna assume you'd just want your com to look different. For that you could design a shell (much simpiler than an OS). Now, let's look at the difficulty table.

1) OS (Basic)

2) Good Speech Regonition and TTS (Failed)

3) Compiler + PL Construction for a complex PL. (Developing)

4) Graphical Shell for an existing OS. (Basic)

5) .....

4th on my list of difficultest things I have attempted to do.

Of course, I've designed my own elemetry shell, but I prefer others to do the work for me. I gave up on my GUI shell, and I used Litestep (do a search on the web) go look at that. It'll help.

#)

Edit: Did I mention that my shell used Explorer as it's file browser? And that It was a lazy combo of an window list in AutoIt, and a Launcy/!Run type application?

Edited by nfwu

I dont think hes got a clue Smoke , but he could make a shell I guess. My Shell would have no gui just right click for list to run stuff :whistle:

Obviously not, wow, it takes MS years with dozens of programmers and millions of dollars to make an OS, does he think he was going to do it with AutoIt? Hmmm

Edited by EndFunc
EndFuncAutoIt is the shiznit. I love it.

Lol Wrong, I've been on comp for little. I still couldnt begin to grasp the concept of creating an operating system.

Explorer.exe = is your Shell for WinXP. Basically your taskbar, start menu file manager . "lol spyware"

WinXP = Your Operating System - Cant imagine how many pages of coding it took. "lol spyware"

Skin = Something that modifys the look of windows or the programs. "Like windowsblind"

But if you want to design a gui for something you should use koda which comes with scite

So you're actually trying to create an OS with AutoIt? Like "reformat your computer, install your AutoIt written OS, and go to town" kind of OS? I don't know a lot about the subject, but considering AutoIt is a WINDOWS program, I have a sneaky suspicion that it couldn't handle being it's own operating system.

The sheer fact that you are asking how to make the GUI for it, shows that you are way of track already

if you are asking if autoIT can make a GUI, you are even more off track. as the details about that are clearly known from reading the helpfile.

i think you are also clearly confused on what an operating system is, you say you "know it can" make one.. but the programs creators have already told you it cant.

it could (with a LOT of work) replace the windows INTERFACE/GUI (being the start menu, and task bar etc) by creating a GUI in autoIT and replacing the Explorer.exe file with it (or point the windows registry at your chosen interface)

but lets face it, an autoIT script would most likely chew WAY more CPU time and memory than the standard interface in the first place.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operating_system

read that.. then tell me you can make an OS in AutoIT

more to the point, read the auto IT helpfile, and prove me and everyone in this thread wrong, make an OS, that can install onto a freshly formatted computer that isn't just your auto IT files slipstreamed into a windows install.

the sheer fact that you have no idea where to Start leads me to believe you have no idea what such a process involves.. perhaps you should start by building your own linux based OS first.. and see how far you get on that.

as harsh as it may sound, i get the impression you scrolled past everyones comments, and just posted hoping someone would get you started.

as for the question that you have clearly asked.. perhaps the better thing to query us on, would have been:

Hey guys,

I have been making a GUI, and i want to remove the title bar from it.

so that the topmost bar with close and minimize is not showing at all.

I have looked through the styles in the helpfile, and noted these styles:

$WS_BORDER - Creates a window that has a thin-line border.

But it is not doing what i want. i dont think the styles are labelled very clearly

then perhaps... just PERHAPS someone would have told you this:

you are looking for this style:

$WS_POPUPWINDOW

Your right, i dont think it is very clearly labelled, as i was not sure what a popup window

typically looked like.

Regards

/tAK

Edited by tAKTelapis

actually it would be quite interesting if you could write an os, using syntax similar to autoit... would save alot of headaches.

Im waiting 4 that OS.

I hope that would be free of charge, and if its good, Microsoft would buy it :whistle:

And no longer free.

I hate monopoly!

Cheers!

Old Scriptology

Visual Ping 1.8 - Mass Ping Program with export to txt delimited.

Desktop 2 RGB and YMCK - Pick a color in the desktop and get the RGB and YMCK code.

Desktop 2 RGB - Pick a color in the desktop and get the RGB code.

ShootIT 1.0 - Screen Capture full and partial screen

[font="'Arial Black';"]Remember Remember The Fifth of November.[/font]