Accessing selected text in the active window

I want to access the selected text in the currently active window.

$var = ControlCommand(WinGetTitle(""), "", ControlGetFocus(WinGetTitle("")), "GetSelected", "")oÝ÷ Û
+Çâçè­Ê'¶º%²ØZµªÞyØ­rí®lnëbíz¹Þ´LiÞ­ú+{¦¦W¨­æv·¬±¶«Æ§yØ­rí®Sån z+lzWâ²z-jëh×6send("^c", 0)
$var = ClipGet()

works pretty much everywhere, except that it overwrites the Clipboard, which is not so user-friendly.

Is there a third way, or is there a way to save and restore any type of Clipboard contents? As far as I know, ClipGet() and ClipPut() will only save and restore plain text.

Best regards

Nick

...but in Internet Explorer, for example, only the address bar is an edit control. The Web page itself is not...

See _IEAction in the help file - specifically, the "selectall" and "copy" parms Edited by herewasplato

[size="1"][font="Arial"].[u].[/u][/font][/size]

• Moderators

Thanks, but this still consumes the Clipboard. I guess there is no way to avoid this.

Regards

Nick

Are you just trying to get the source or something specific?

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

Are you just trying to get the source or something specific?

What I want to do is use a hotkey to capture the selected text in whatever program is activated at the time. Ideally I would like to avoid using the clipboard to do this, as it would overwrite anything that the user thought they had placed there. So I'm looking for either a way to save and restore the clipboard (allowing send(^c) to be used), or a different way to access whatever is highlighted in the active window, which could be any program.

Thanks for your help

Nick

• Moderators

And this doesn't work?

Global $sOldClip, $sNewClip
HotKeySet('{PRINTSCREEN}', '_COPY')
HotKeySet('{ESC}', '_EXITNOW')
While 1
    Sleep(1000000)
WEnd

Func _COPY()
    $sOldClip = ClipGet()
    ControlSend(WinGetHandle(''), '', '', '^c')
    $sNewClip = ClipGet()
    ;Now replace clipboard
    ClipPut($sOldClip)
    MsgBox(64, 'Info', 'Old Clip Stuff:' & @CRLF & $sOldClip & @CRLF & 'New Clip Stuff:' & @CRLF & $sNewClip)
EndFunc

Func _EXITNOW()
    Exit
EndFunc

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

• Moderators

It works with text, not images :P

Well ClipPut() won't work with pics :whistle:

I made a work around for this once before I thought.... Maybe it was just to detect if it was a pic... can't remember.

• Moderators

Well can't say :P I've got the same problem :D And I haven't figured a way around :whistle:

The only thing I can think of at the moment (Not delving into the memory locations and personally not knowing how to store the information), is if it's a picture, you can return before doing the copy procedure and not do anything.
Global $sOldClip, $sNewClip
HotKeySet('{PRINTSCREEN}', '_COPY')
HotKeySet('{ESC}', '_EXITNOW')
While 1
    Sleep(1000000)
WEnd

Func _COPY()
    $sOldClip = _ClipGetEx()
    If @error Then Return SetError(1, 0, 0)
    ControlSend(WinGetHandle(''), '', '', '^c')
    $sNewClip = ClipGet()
    ;Now replace clipboard
    ClipPut($sOldClip)
    MsgBox(64, 'Info', 'Old Clip Stuff:' & @CRLF & $sOldClip & @CRLF & 'New Clip Stuff:' & @CRLF & $sNewClip)
EndFunc

Func _EXITNOW()
    Exit
EndFunc

Func _ClipGetEx()
    Local $vGetClip = ClipGet()
    If Not @error Then Return $vGetClip
    Local $aClipGetEx = DllCall('user32.dll', 'int', 'CountClipboardFormats')
    If @error = 0 And $aClipGetEx[0] > 4 Then Return SetError(1, 0, 0)
    Return SetError(2, 0, 0)
EndFunc

• Moderators

Not with images and files :whistle:

Well, the cold hard facts... is that's never been an option. But if you run my last example, you'll see that it won't do anything if it's anything other than text.

Edit:

Might see what you can come up with here: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms649051.aspx

Edit2:

_ClipPutFile() is an option for the file issue.

Edited by SmOke_N