How to Export icons to DLL

Hello everyone,

Just a little information for Icon:

I wanted in my program to have 2 differents icon in my tray (a bit like ZA !)

The problem we have is that we need to take a dll to extract icon (for instance: shell.32.dll)

However, I wanted to create MY icons for my program so,... I found (after a long reserch) :P this tool : Iconjack32 found here: http://www.klitetools.com/comments.php?sho...25&catid=62 or the download link : iconjack32_1.0.zip It allows you to extract icon from DLL and from EXE files BUT you can also Export your icons to DLL. (freeware)

By the way if you look for a nice icon designer program try IcoFX 1.5 (freeware)

hope that help... :whistle:

EDIT: You can now use the AutoIt Wrapper and/or FileInstall(). I updated the links !

Edited by cramaboule

My weakness is Dll's, I can't figure out how to "extract" the icon from the dll. If you're using shell32.dll, i know that this would work:

GUICtrlCreateButton ("my picture button", 10,20,40,40, $BS_ICON)
GUICtrlSetImage (-1, "shell32.dll",22)

But, say I'd create a .dll with that program that contains "Icon.ico", how do I retrieve that icon?

Thanks,

Kurt

EDIT: Got it working, nevermind. Thanks for sharing!!

Edited by _Kurt

Awaiting Diablo III..

But doesn't reshacker offer the same, to export or import icons and other resources to and from ocx, cpl , dll, exe.. etc

Reshacker has command line support and works via script commands to add, extract , edit, delete as well.

No install required so it can work standalone.

Edited by smashly

• 5 months later...

My weakness is Dll's, I can't figure out how to "extract" the icon from the dll. If you're using shell32.dll, i know that this would work:

GUICtrlCreateButton ("my picture button", 10,20,40,40, $BS_ICON)
GUICtrlSetImage (-1, "shell32.dll",22)

But, say I'd create a .dll with that program that contains "Icon.ico", how do I retrieve that icon?

Thanks,

Kurt

EDIT: Got it working, nevermind. Thanks for sharing!!

I'm having the same problem, can someone explain this to me

• 10 months later...

IconJack32 seems to no longer be available. I've been using a freeware for years called IconShop ( http://users.pandora.be/liontech/Downloads.htm ). I create ICL (icon libraries) with it. Once you drag and drop ICO files into the interface and then sort, you can save as an ICL file. Apparently, making a DLL with that is just a question of renaming to DLL.

I couldn't get either the ICL or DLL to work with the syntax for displaying randomly the icons in shell32.dll (for which I've posted a query about here http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=77475) but that may be a separate issue. What I do know is that the icon DLL file works when using as an icon source in a shortcut just like when you use the default shell32.dll and you select one of the available icons in the pack. The ICL renamed to DLL did the same thing perfectly this morning on a file I created just to test this with. So this method does work on DLLs one will use in that manner.

Whether or not such DLLs will work with AutoIt is a separate issue but thought I'd respond to this thread with an available icon library editor/creator, IconShop.

:P

Edited by Diana (Cda)