Startup Scripts

Hello,

I have been using AutoIt for a few years now. I create and compile many Login scripts that I store in the Sysvol\scripts folder. (for active directory). In the last few months I have had 3 scripts detected as a "false" positive by our antiVirus software. With out going into great detail, lets just say it caused a sysvol replication nighmear.

Rather than Compiling scripts, I would like to leave them all uncompiled, and run them at login. This would benefit me in atleast 2 ways.

1) The files would never be deleted by the virus scanner.

2) The files would not get "Locked"

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can run scripts without compiling them, and with out installing autoit?

Would the DLL version of autoit require using autoit3.exe to run the scripts?

Thank you!

AutoItX.dll is used in another lauguage like VBScript witch can be used in a startup script. Using an Au3 needs an interpreter to run so you do need AutoIt3.exe or another compiled script to execute your script. Au3 files work fine as a startup script with using an interpreter.

:whistle:

• Moderators

Hi ZipleR... You are going to have to automate it somehow using a compiled script ... You can use 1 compiled script though to run them all with using /AutoIt3ExecuteScript....

Example of something the compiled script may look like:

$FileLocationName = @ScriptDir & '\Sysvol\scripts\Script1.au3'
Run('"' & @AutoItExe & '" /AutoIt3ExecuteScript "' & $FileLocationName & '"', '', @SW_HIDE)
At least this way, you would only ever have to worry about 1 executable being up to date with the latest release(s) to avoid issues with False Positives and AV software.

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

A3X files are an option also, which is a compiled script without the interpreter. An A3X can include any #include files and FileInstall()'s so you still need an interpreter such as AutoIt3.exe or another compiled script like SmOke_N shows with his example.

You could create a batch file and place it in your startup folder located at "D:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup".

Runit.bat

"%homedrive%\scripts\AutoIt3.exe" "%homedrive%\scripts\startupscript1.au3"
"%homedrive%\scripts\AutoIt3.exe" "%homedrive%\scripts\startupscript2.au3"
"%homedrive%\scripts\AutoIt3.exe" "%homedrive%\scripts\startupscript3.au3"
"%homedrive%\scripts\AutoIt3.exe" "%homedrive%\scripts\startupscript4.au3"

Just another way to do it without using an actual autoit script to start and oversee the process.

Edited by The Kandie Man

"So man has sown the wind and reaped the world. Perhaps in the next few hours there will no remembrance of the past and no hope for the future that might have been." & _"All the works of man will be consumed in the great fire after which he was created." & _"And if there is a future for man, insensitive as he is, proud and defiant in his pursuit of power, let him resolve to live it lovingly, for he knows well how to do so." & _"Then he may say once more, 'Truly the light is sweet, and what a pleasant thing it is for the eyes to see the sun.'" - The Day the Earth Caught Fire

I put my compiled scripts all in a subdir called "CompiledScripts". Then I put my CompiledScripts folder in my antivirus program's Exclude List. Way easier than the other workarounds IMHO.

Just my 2ct.

Roses are FF0000, violets are 0000FF... All my base are belong to you.

But he has the scripts running on a server, so its not just local AV scans he has issues with, any clients will most likely scan it before executing

you should be able to assign a Logon script via your Group Policy, test applying it directly such as:

\\server\netlogon\autoit3.exe \\server\scriptname.au3

that SHOULD work..

in that first au3 script, call each extra script you are running (if you have more than one) in the similar manner

that way, its just as easy to add a whole extra script into the mix at any stage

But he has the scripts running on a server, so its not just local AV scans he has issues with, any clients will most likely scan it before executing

Any AV program should be able to support UNC paths or network locations in the exclude list. For my own AV scanner (Norman Virus Control) I can set my clients no exclude ANY network location, which is safe as long as I have my server on-access-scanned too. Saves a lot on network capacity and network access times too. Worth a try, IMHO.

Roses are FF0000, violets are 0000FF... All my base are belong to you.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for leaving this one out here so long, forgot to check it until now.

Thank you for all of the replies. Some good advice.

While reading the suggestions for using a batch file etc to launch Autoit3.exe (and not needing to register it) I realized that Group Policy "Startup Scripts" already has a built in feature to use a third party interrupter.

Heres how you do it (Super simple)

1) Copy Autoit3.exe to your Sysvol share

2) Edit the group policy and add a startup script (Computer Configuration >Windows Settings > Scripts > Startup)

3) in the "Script Name" field put the location of Autoit3.exe (ex: \\TestCorp\sysvol\TestCorp.com\scripts\autoIt3.exe)

4) in the "Script Parameters" field put the location of the Autoit .AU3 file (ex: \\TestCorp\sysvol\TestCorp.com\scripts\TestScript.au3)

post-15525-1177448937_thumb.jpg

I just tried this out and it worked great. Now if I ever want to upgrade autoit I only have to overwrite the one Autoit3.exe file, rather than having a local copy of it on each PC.

This will also beat having tuns of compiled autoit scripts out there which is hard to keep track of changes with version numbering ect. Also wont have to worry about AV false detecting Autoit3.exe as a Virus.

Thanks for your help guys!