multiple instances of IE

Hello,

I have an AutoIT script which opens several IE windows.

I then need to access these windows to perform different tasks.

How can I reference the window I need?

It seems you can only refer to a window by it's title text. Is that correct? If so, that's a real problem for me as all of my IE windows have the exact same title text!

When I create an IE window with something like:

$oIE[$i] = _IECreate ("http://www.google.com")

Can I not use the variable I give it to refer to it later on, somehow? If so, how would I use that reference variable to make the window active?

Any thoughts very much welcomed!

Thanks,

Rob.

Each window has a unique handle. In most functions involving windows you can use the handle instead of the Title.

[center][/center]Working on the next big thing.Currently Playing: Halo 4, League of LegendsXBL GT: iRememberYhslaw

Each window will have a handle. Use the WinGetHandle command to get the info you need. You may want to put the different windows into a array first.

Thanks Guys. However, the WinGetHandle function seems to take the title of the window as an argument. The titles of all my IE instances are the same (it's the same webpage opened several times for different reasons).

Or am I missing something?

Thanks!

Try WinList. You may need to play around to see which window is which. Also, is the text in the window any different? You could try to use the IE tools to see if you can read what text is in the window. ANother thougth is to rename the window when it first appears so you can get a different name on each of them.

just use an empty string ( ,"", ) for the argument and it will take the active window. :whistle:

Here's some sample code to prove fear's theory

#include <IE.au3>

_IECreate("www.autoitscript.com", 1, 1, 0)
$handle_1 = WinGetHandle("")
_IECreate("my.yahoo.com", 1, 1, 0)
$handle_2 = WinGetHandle("")
While 1
    Sleep(2000)
    $var = MsgBox(4099, "Swap between IE windows", _
            "Click YES to switch to the Autoit website" & _
            @CRLF & "Click NO to switch to Yahoo")
    Select
        Case $var = 6
            WinActivate($handle_1)
        Case $var = 7
            WinActivate($handle_2)
        Case Else
            Exit
    EndSelect
WEnd
Edited by SpookMeister

[u]Helpful tips:[/u]If you want better answers to your questions, take the time to reproduce your issue in a small "stand alone" example script whenever possible. Also, make sure you tell us 1) what you tried, 2) what you expected to happen, and 3) what happened instead.[u]Useful links:[/u]BrettF's update to LxP's "How to AutoIt" pdfValuater's Autoit 1-2-3 Download page for the latest versions of Autoit and SciTE[quote]<glyph> For example - if you came in here asking "how do I use a jackhammer" we might ask "why do you need to use a jackhammer"<glyph> If the answer to the latter question is "to knock my grandmother's head off to let out the evil spirits that gave her cancer", then maybe the problem is actually unrelated to jackhammers[/quote]

$oIE1 = _IECreate(someURL)
$oIE2 = _IECreate(someURL)
$oIE3 = _IECreate(someURL)
$oIE4 = _IECreate(someURL)

$handle1 = _IEPropertyGet($oIE1, "hwnd")
$handle2 = _IEPropertyGet($oIE2, "hwnd")
$handle3 = _IEPropertyGet($oIE3, "hwnd")
$handle4 = _IEPropertyGet($oIE4, "hwnd")

Then use the handle in any of the standard AutoIt functions in place of the title...

Dale

Free Internet Tools: DebugBar, AutoIt IE Builder, HTTP UDF, MODIV2, IE Developer Toolbar, IEDocMon, Fiddler, HTML Validator, WGet, curl

MSDN docs: InternetExplorer Object, Document Object, Overviews and Tutorials, DHTML Objects, DHTML Events, WinHttpRequest, XmlHttpRequest, Cross-Frame Scripting, Office object model

Automate input type=file (Related)

Alternative to _IECreateEmbedded? better: _IECreatePseudoEmbedded  Better Better?

IE.au3 issues with Vista - Workarounds

SciTe Debug mode - it's magic: #AutoIt3Wrapper_run_debug_mode=Y

Doesn't work needs to be ripped out of the troubleshooting lexicon. It means that what you tried did not produce the results you expected. It begs the questions 1) what did you try?, 2) what did you expect? and 3) what happened instead?

Reproducer: a small (the smallest?) piece of stand-alone code that demonstrates your trouble

No, that won't work... use $oIE in _IENavigate

Use the handle in functions like WinMove, WinActivate etc.

Dale

Free Internet Tools: DebugBar, AutoIt IE Builder, HTTP UDF, MODIV2, IE Developer Toolbar, IEDocMon, Fiddler, HTML Validator, WGet, curl

MSDN docs: InternetExplorer Object, Document Object, Overviews and Tutorials, DHTML Objects, DHTML Events, WinHttpRequest, XmlHttpRequest, Cross-Frame Scripting, Office object model

Automate input type=file (Related)

Alternative to _IECreateEmbedded? better: _IECreatePseudoEmbedded  Better Better?

IE.au3 issues with Vista - Workarounds

SciTe Debug mode - it's magic: #AutoIt3Wrapper_run_debug_mode=Y

Doesn't work needs to be ripped out of the troubleshooting lexicon. It means that what you tried did not produce the results you expected. It begs the questions 1) what did you try?, 2) what did you expect? and 3) what happened instead?

Reproducer: a small (the smallest?) piece of stand-alone code that demonstrates your trouble