Not always detecting HotKeySet strokes?...

I've recently started playing a game and I've found it much faster to perform a certain task if I make one button press perform a series of button presses.

For example...

HotKeySet("x", "Buttons")

Func Buttons()
    Send("{ALTDOWN}{LSHIFT}{ALTUP}")
EndFunc

When trying this out in notepad as a test (by switching ALTDOWN/UP with SHIFTDOWN/UP, and switching LSHIFT with the letter "a") it would replace x with a captial A. It would work perfectly. I could even hold x down and it would spam 'A's.

But when I went in to the game, I'd press x and it wouldn't always perform the function. I could hold it down and it would appear to randomly work.

If anyone knows how to fix my problem i'd be grateful!

I'm not sure if it's a computer problem, i.e. the game's raping my CPU so there's none left for my script, but I seriously doubt that could be it. Purely because so little CPU is required for the script.

Regards, Matt.

I've recently started playing a game and I've found it much faster to perform a certain task if I make one button press perform a series of button presses.

For example...

Func Buttons()
EndFunc

When trying this out in notepad as a test (by switching ALTDOWN/UP with SHIFTDOWN/UP, and switching LSHIFT with the letter "a") it would replace x with a captial A. It would work perfectly. I could even hold x down and it would spam 'A's.

But when I went in to the game, I'd press x and it wouldn't always perform the function. I could hold it down and it would appear to randomly work.

If anyone knows how to fix my problem i'd be grateful!

I'm not sure if it's a computer problem, i.e. the game's raping my CPU so there's none left for my script, but I seriously doubt that could be it. Purely because so little CPU is required for the script.

Regards, Matt.

Thats odd, because the code you posted shouldn't work at all....

You have nothing that keeps the script from closing while it waits for you to push the hotkey.

Sorry that was just a sample, i've got the necessary means of keeping the hotkeys active.

Oh well, I'm afraid i don't encounter that same problem when I add a while loop in like I have below,

While 1
     Sleep(100)
WEnd
Func Buttons()
EndFunc

I always seem to pick up the hotkeys with this...

Maybe the problem has to do with something other than the hotkeys themselves.

Might we see the whole script?

Oh well, I'm afraid i don't encounter that same problem when I add a while loop in like I have below,

While 1
     Sleep(100)
WEnd
Func Buttons()
EndFuncoÝ÷ Ø¥Á¬¬±ç¦¶brK©¶¡¢ÙÊÌ"¶aÃÉ·­êk¡¹^¬¶hÂ+a²¶§az»aj{az-쬶¦±éozÃ"pzǶ°^±Êâ¦ßêº^jëh×6
HotKeySet("{HOME}", "Close")
HotKeySet("z", "Buttons2")
$title = "Program"
$WinCheck = 0
MsgBox(0,$title,"Text")
WinWaitActive("Game")

Func Buttons()
EndFunc

Func Buttons2()
    Send("{ALTDOWN}{LCTRL}{ALTUP}")
EndFunc

Func Close()
    MsgBox(0,$title, "Text")
    Exit
EndFunc

While $WinCheck = 0
    WinWaitClose("Game")
        If @error = 1 Then
            $WinCheck = 0
        Else
            $WinCheck = 1
        EndIf
WEnd

MsgBox(0,$title, "Text")

Thats all there is.

I can explain a little about the purpose...It's for a racing game and it shifts gears by just pressing one button. Without this macro one would have to hold down the clutch, shift up or down gears and then release the clutch. When the hotkey stroke is actually picked up it works perfectly.

Well, I tried to re-write this code to see what it would do, here is what I came Up with.

HotKeySet("{HOME}","Quit")
HotKeySet("x","ShiftUp")
HotKeySet("z","ShiftDown")
If not WinExists("Game") then
    Do
        ToolTip("Waiting For Game...",0,0)
        Sleep(100)
    Until WinExists("Game")
EndIf

Do
    Sleep(100)
    ToolTip("Running...",0,0)
    If Not WinActive("Game") then
        Do
            ToolTip("Game is not active. Paused.",0,0)
            Sleep(100)
        Until WinActive("Game")
    EndIf
Until Not WinExists("Game")

Func ShiftUp()
    ToolTip("Shifting Up",0,0)
EndFunc

Func ShiftDown()
    Send("{ALTDOWN}{LCTRL}{ALTUP}")
    ToolTip("Shifting Down",0,0)
EndFunc

Func Quit()
    ToolTip("Exiting...",0,0)
    Sleep(3000)
    Exit
EndFunc

I used tooltips instead of Msgboxes because they are usually more game-friendly, however you can switch that however you want.

If you still have this problem, try reducing the sleep. I'm not sure how frequently you are switching (more than once in every tenth of a second?)

But This works for me with notepad.

Edited by Paulie

Thanks for the script but I'm still getting the same problems!

I'm guessing its not a problem with AutoIt but with my computer and the demand of the game. All the scripts I've tested work perfectly in notepad but I get problems in game.

I tried one with sleep 10000 and the problem's still there.

Thanks again. I'm going to try a different language and see if that works.

Try this at the beginning of the script:

ProcessSetPriority (@AutoItPID, 4)

This will set the autoit script's process priority to high, it should therefore respond better when you are running something that is cpu intensive along with it.

This will, however, "steal" some processing power from other processes that are currently running at a lower priority level, such as your game.

Edited by The Kandie Man

"So man has sown the wind and reaped the world. Perhaps in the next few hours there will no remembrance of the past and no hope for the future that might have been." & _"All the works of man will be consumed in the great fire after which he was created." & _"And if there is a future for man, insensitive as he is, proud and defiant in his pursuit of power, let him resolve to live it lovingly, for he knows well how to do so." & _"Then he may say once more, 'Truly the light is sweet, and what a pleasant thing it is for the eyes to see the sun.'" - The Day the Earth Caught Fire

Hehe it's funny you just wrote that!

I tried changing priority in taskmanager to high and it seemed to make little difference, however it did work more often. It appears that we've found the problem.

I even tried giving AutoIt one core and my game the other core...Just made the game a bit laggy :whistle:

Looks like I'm going to have the hook into the game to get it to work flawlessly.

Cheers for all your help guys.

• 1 month later...

try this one at the beginning of your script:

Opt("SendKeyDownDelay", 100)      ;100 milliseconds

by default keystrokes from autoit are only 5ms .. for some games you need a longer period for the game to detect the keystroke

Edited by MrPink