What other Programming Languages should I learn?

What should be the first programming language for me to learn?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the first programming language for me to learn?

• Visual Basic
    • C#
    • C++
    • J#
    • JScript
    • Ruby
    • Python
    • Java
    • Delphi
    • Other (And I specified which other Language)

As most of you know, I am fairly new to programming and AutoIt is the only language I have tried coding in, with a few exceptions of some HTML.

I feel like it is time for me to explore coding in other languages to give me more experience. Plus, it should take me a shorter amount of time to learn another language because there are tons of books written for learning programming languages. But, there are so many languages out there, I don't know which one to learn first. What do you think, what should be the first language for me to learn (please exclude HTML as I am only minorly interested in web creation)?

If you can, please tell me why that language over others.

Thanks!

***EDIT***

Notable points:

1 ) I have never learned a compiled code language.

2) My objective is academic. But, I would like to learn whatever language would be "best" to learn.

3) At this point, I am really only interested in Window's platforms

****EDIT*****

April 3, 2007 @ 1:50 PM PST

4) The more input I get from the thread the more I am inclined to learn a compiler code language before any more scripting languages

5) Are there reasons why I would choose to use one of the compiler languages over the other, like C++, or Java, or Visual Basic?

Edited by litlmike

As most of you know, I am fairly new to programming and AutoIt is the only language I have tried coding in, with a few exceptions of some HTML.

I feel like it is time for me to explore coding in other languages to give me more experience. Plus, it should take me a shorter amount of time to learn another language because there are tons of books written for learning programming languages. But, there are so many languages out there, I don't know which one to learn first. What do you think, what should be the first language for me to learn (please exclude HTML as I am only minorly interested in web creation)?

If you can, please tell me why that language over others.

Thanks!

hmmm.. really depends on what you want, if you wanted to eventually use/support another platform, i'd avoid any windows specific language, and dont bother with buying the books, you can learn by examples/sourcecode, and tutorials ALOT faster, and for free. seems like c, c++ is the most popular and has a crapload of libraries and things to play with, VB/C# would probably get you closer to the windows internals then autoit could.. there also basic, lua, python, for easy creation of games.. :shocked:

Don't bother, It's inside your monitor!------GUISetOnEvent should behave more like HotKeySet()

As you note, there are lots of other choices. I know several languages already, but recently started evaluating some other scripting languages I had not played with before (I am partial to scripting languages over compiled code)... I was looking for something that was modern and relatively intuitive (so that I don't have to get my books out *every* time I try to write something like I do with Perl). I was also looking for something that was cross-platform... relatively quickly, I narrowed my search down to either Ruby or Python.

I ended up choosing Python because I liked the syntax -- nearly everything is an object in Python (which isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I like it). There is a lot of buzz around both languages and both have extensive module libraries (loosely like the AutoIt UDFs) that add lots of unique functionality.

If your quest is academic and you have never learned a compiled code language, you probably owe it to yourself to learn one - it typically takes more investment on the front end to set up a project and debugging can be more of a challenge, the the end result can be much more robust.

So I guess the point is that you need to figure out what your objectives are in learning a new language... what are you wanting to do or learn, where (on what OS's) do you wnat to use it? The answers will guide you.

Dale

Also, just a note, HTML is not a programming language, but rather a (hyper-) text markup language... It grew out of something called SGML (Standard Generic Markup Language) that was used to create structured documents and documentation

Edited by DaleHohm

Free Internet Tools: DebugBar, AutoIt IE Builder, HTTP UDF, MODIV2, IE Developer Toolbar, IEDocMon, Fiddler, HTML Validator, WGet, curl

MSDN docs: InternetExplorer Object, Document Object, Overviews and Tutorials, DHTML Objects, DHTML Events, WinHttpRequest, XmlHttpRequest, Cross-Frame Scripting, Office object model

Automate input type=file (Related)

Alternative to _IECreateEmbedded? better: _IECreatePseudoEmbedded  Better Better?

IE.au3 issues with Vista - Workarounds

SciTe Debug mode - it's magic: #AutoIt3Wrapper_run_debug_mode=Y

Doesn't work needs to be ripped out of the troubleshooting lexicon. It means that what you tried did not produce the results you expected. It begs the questions 1) what did you try?, 2) what did you expect? and 3) what happened instead?

Reproducer: a small (the smallest?) piece of stand-alone code that demonstrates your trouble

Thanks for everyone's feedback, all is appreciated and please continue to leave feedback.

@DALE

(I am partial to scripting languages over compiled code)

Is a scripting language something like AutoIt, where as "compiled code" would be like C++? Why are you partial to scripting languages?

If ... you have never learned a compiled code language, you probably owe it to yourself to learn one

I have never learned one, know that, what do you reccomend as a compiled code language?

So I guess the point is that you need to figure out what your objectives are in learning a new language... what are you wanting to do or learn, where (on what OS's) do you wnat to use it? The answers will guide you.

I am not sure what my objectives are yet, other than just academic, but at this point, I am really only interested in Window's platforms.

Well depending on what you are working towards like everyone says, but I suggest to also think about how much time/effort/energy you want to invest. I for me like Java as a useful general-purpose language. Also platform independent but still well usable on any platform. And I find it easy to get started in if you are not investing lots of time in it, easier than for instance C which is I think more labour- and time-intensive to learn (but it produces, if done well, very effficient and fast programs).

If for instance you are choosing a university course for a certain language as part of your school education, I would probably want to learn more of C++, but if you plan to do it in spare time next to a job and/or a family or something and want some general practise, other choices might be less demanding of your time.

I once started in GWBasic, about 20 years ago at the age of 8, did TPascal, Qbasic, Java, Javascript (just a bit) and C++ (just a bit) and AutoItScript ofcourse :shocked: so I don't have experience in many corners of the coding universe. On top of that there have been big gaps between my programming periods, so I might not be the best source of information, but at least the suggestion to mention how much effort you want to put into it should be worth something. :(

Roses are FF0000, violets are 0000FF... All my base are belong to you.

Well depending on what you are working towards like everyone says, but I suggest to also think about how much time/effort/energy you want to invest. I for me like Java as a useful general-purpose language. Also platform independent but still well usable on any platform. And I find it easy to get started in if you are not investing lots of time in it, easier than for instance C which is I think more labour- and time-intensive to learn (but it produces, if done well, very effficient and fast programs).

If for instance you are choosing a university course for a certain language as part of your school education, I would probably want to learn more of C++, but if you plan to do it in spare time next to a job and/or a family or something and want some general practise, other choices might be less demanding of your time.

I once started in GWBasic, about 20 years ago at the age of 8, did TPascal, Qbasic, Java, Javascript (just a bit) and C++ (just a bit) and AutoItScript ofcourse :shocked: so I don't have experience in many corners of the coding universe. On top of that there have been big gaps between my programming periods, so I might not be the best source of information, but at least the suggestion to mention how much effort you want to put into it should be worth something. :(

ghghjgfhfg hgfh gfhru38904 fdgtghcg

Don't bother, It's inside your monitor!------GUISetOnEvent should behave more like HotKeySet()

ghghjgfhfg hgfh gfhru38904 fdgtghcg

Admittedly, that makes way more sense. Stupid me. Could have thought of that myself, encrypted advise.

Roses are FF0000, violets are 0000FF... All my base are belong to you.

You have left quite a few off of your list.

In the more formal languages Look at C++ and Delphi Or for Non-Windows use C and Pascal

Under scripting You have left off VBScript (Not the same as Visual Basic) and PowerShell. Powershell is the latest flavor of Microsofts scripting languages.

I noticed that you have included Javascript and not Java. Again not the same thing.

All languages have advantages and disadvantages. That includes scripting languages. As scripting languages go then I think that you should just stick with AutoIt or perhaps learn PowerShell. VBS is good to know if you are working on HTML as is Javascript.

It also never hurts to know how write batch scripts.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

I am an old timer but if I had it to do all over again I would learn C using a C++ compiler, the C++. For scripting I would prefer Tcl/tk over python as I find python's indentation rules maddening. Yes, I indent my code, but when moving segments in and out of functions while experimenting and debugging I really get frustrated with python. Compiled languages both have their places and I think you learn a lot of discipline and gain a lot of understainding by working with strongly typed languages such as C++.

BTW, anyone doing any reading on the next generation of C++, which is named D?

jh

@DALE

>Is a scripting language something like AutoIt, where as "compiled code" would be like C++? Why are you partial to scripting languages?

The lines can get blurry, but generally speaking, yes. Why scripting languages? Debugging primarily, lazyness too I guess. Also, the script source code IS your program... comiled code gives you a .dll or .exe and it is all too easy to forget whech version of the sources it came from (or to misplace it all together).

>I have never learned one, know that, what do you reccomend as a compiled code language?

>I am not sure what my objectives are yet, other than just academic, but at this point, I am really only interested in Window's platforms.

If what you are trying to do or learn is not clear to you yet, I suggest you spend more time surveying your choices until these questions and teir answers start to crystalize for you. If you jump into something before having an idea about this you may find yourself chasing from one to the next without fully investing in any of them.

Dale

Free Internet Tools: DebugBar, AutoIt IE Builder, HTTP UDF, MODIV2, IE Developer Toolbar, IEDocMon, Fiddler, HTML Validator, WGet, curl

MSDN docs: InternetExplorer Object, Document Object, Overviews and Tutorials, DHTML Objects, DHTML Events, WinHttpRequest, XmlHttpRequest, Cross-Frame Scripting, Office object model

Automate input type=file (Related)

Alternative to _IECreateEmbedded? better: _IECreatePseudoEmbedded  Better Better?

IE.au3 issues with Vista - Workarounds

SciTe Debug mode - it's magic: #AutoIt3Wrapper_run_debug_mode=Y

Doesn't work needs to be ripped out of the troubleshooting lexicon. It means that what you tried did not produce the results you expected. It begs the questions 1) what did you try?, 2) what did you expect? and 3) what happened instead?

Reproducer: a small (the smallest?) piece of stand-alone code that demonstrates your trouble

If what you are trying to do or learn is not clear to you yet, I suggest you spend more time surveying your choices until these questions and teir answers start to crystalize for you. If you jump into something before having an idea about this you may find yourself chasing from one to the next without fully investing in any of them.

Dale

Agreed, I don't want to jump into something that will lead me no where. Since my motivation is to just take myself to the next level, it is hard to envision what I might use these languages for. Most of my programming interest is for automation which AutoIt does a supreme job of.

It is hard to envision what I might want to do, because I don't know the relevant differences between the compiler codes. What are some options that I should consider? Meaning, can you give me some ideas of what I should consider for what I MIGHT want to do in the future? For instace, are some compiler codes better at Databasing or graphics, etc?

I feel like I am back in High School talking to guidance counselors!

GC: "So Johnny, what do you want to do after high school?"

Kid: "I dunno, have fun, be rich"

GC: "So, what do you like to do"

Kid: "I dunno...stuff. "

GC: "Great what kind of stuff?"

Kid: "I dunno...Stuff that's cool "

GC: "What kind of job you want?"

Kid: "I dunno, something that is easy, but makes me a butt load of money"

GC: "You don't know what kind of job you want?"

Kid: "I dunno, what do you have to do?"

GC: "Johnny, you should join ARMY"

Kid: "k, do I get a gun and stuff"

GC: "Yea Johnny, you get a gun"

Edited by litlmike

Shouldn't this be in chat?

Yes. Maybe some nice administrator will come along and move it.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"