Passing Parameters

There are several ways to pass information from one program to another: ini files, registry values, command-line arguments, environmental variables, etc. If both programs are called within the same comspec environment (ie: from a batch file) you could also use environmental variables, or errorlevels.

I can't really say that one way is better than another without knowing how much information you're wanting to pass, and how you're calling/using each program. Describe your situation a little more, and we may be able to help.

There are several ways to pass information from one program to another: ini files, registry values, command-line arguments, environmental variables, etc.  If both programs are called within the same comspec environment (ie: from a batch file) you could also use environmental variables, or errorlevels.

I can't really say that one way is better than another without knowing how much information you're wanting to pass, and how you're calling/using each program. Describe your situation a little more, and we may be able to help.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I want to collect 3 strings and pass them to a second script for use & display. The second script is compiled and launched by the task scheduler. (That's why I need one script to collect data and another to use the data, to avoid hanging the scheduled script in an InputBox.

Please see later post regarding difficulty with include.

Jay

Ah, then perhaps your best/easiest way would be to use an INI file. (The registry is also a good alternative, but isn't recommended for the inexperienced...)

Here's a very simple example:

; Define some variables
Dim $AppTitle="My App"
Dim $Default="Some text"
Dim $IniFile=@ScriptDir & "\MyFile.INI"

; Prompt user for text
$Value = InputBox($AppTitle, "Please enter some text below:", $Default, "", -1, -1, -1, -1, 10)

;Write data to INI file
IniWrite($IniFile, $AppTitle, "Text", $Value)

;Read data from INI file
$IniText = IniRead($IniFile, $AppTitle, "Text", "Not value specified")

; Display results
MsgBox(4096, $AppTitle, "Value entered: " & Chr(34) & $IniText & Chr(34))
Exit

Hope this helps!

Here's a slightly more complicated script for three values:

; Define some variables
Dim $AppTitle="My App"
Dim $Default="Some text"
Dim $IniText[4]

For $count = 1 To 3
 ; Prompt user for text
  $Value = InputBox($AppTitle, "Please enter some text below:", $Default, "", -1, -1, -1, -1, 10)

;Write data to INI file
  IniWrite($IniFile, $AppTitle, "Text" & $count, $Value)
Next

For $count = 1 To 3
 ;Read data from INI file
  $IniText[$count] = Chr(34) & IniRead($IniFile, $AppTitle, "Text" & $count, "Not value specified") & Chr(34)
Next

; Display results
MsgBox(4096, $AppTitle, "Values entered: " & @CR & $IniText[1] & @CR & $IniText[2] & @CR & $IniText[3])

Here's a slightly more complicated script for three values:

; Define some variables
Dim $AppTitle="My App"
Dim $Default="Some text"
Dim $IniText[4]

For $count = 1 To 3
; Prompt user for text

;Write data to INI file
  IniWrite($IniFile, $AppTitle, "Text" & $count, $Value)
Next
For $count = 1 To 3
;Read data from INI file
  $IniText[$count] = Chr(34) & IniRead($IniFile, $AppTitle, "Text" & $count, "Not value specified") & Chr(34)
Next

; Display results
MsgBox(4096, $AppTitle, "Values entered: " & @CR & $IniText[1] & @CR & $IniText[2] & @CR & $IniText[3])

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, I was attempting to use an .au3 or .txt file without success.

Jay

Would you explain how to use #include? In a test script I included and input script. The input script never ran that I could tell.

like #include "input.au3" ;a good running script

running test.au3 produced no visible output.

A more general question,,, where may I find more prolific and detailed info on AutoIt scripts? Maybe a tutorial?

Jay

The #include statement does not include another script for execution... (Run may be used to launch compiled scripts.)

When you #include "somefile.au3", you are basically telling your script to look within "somefile.au3" when you reference a function that is not defined within the current file. If the referenced function resides within the "somefile.au3" file, then it will call that routine instead of throwing an error.

The #include functionality allows you to build your own User Defined Library (UDF) of common functions so that you don't have to keep adding the same code snippets to each new script.

The help file contains examples for most commands/statements, and additional examples may be found within the FAQ area of the help file. You could also browse the v3 Scripts and Scraps area on this site, or Search the forums for related topics.

Hope this helps!

The #include statement does not include another script for execution... (Run may be used to launch compiled scripts.)

When you #include "somefile.au3", you are basically telling your script to look within "somefile.au3" when you reference a function that is not defined within the current file.  If the referenced function resides within the "somefile.au3" file, then it will call that routine instead of throwing an error. 

The #include functionality allows you to build your own User Defined Library (UDF) of common functions so that you don't have to keep adding the same code snippets to each new script.

The help file contains examples for most commands/statements, and additional examples may be found within the FAQ area of the help file.  You could also browse the v3 Scripts and Scraps area on this site, or Search the forums for related topics.

Hope this helps!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, that helps immeasureably! That is NOT what the help file says. I quote:

"In an AutoIt script, other scripts can be included using the #include command.

#include must be in lower-case."

And the following 2 paragraphs talk about functions, then the #include-once caveat.

I am willing to report this error if I knew to whom to report. The 'presumed path shortcuts'? (... & <...>) are also ambiguous.

I must comment on the friendliness and helpfulness of this forum. It's far, far better than others I've been on.

I'm gradually building a user's manual from help text for each function I use and from examples like yours. Thank you for your patience and helpfulness.

Jay

Jay

• Developers

What is wrong in the help file for the statement?

When you Run your xyz.au3 script the file will be included at that time.

When you compile your script into an EXE it will be included at that time not refreshed until the next compile...

:ph34r:

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

For inter-communication between scripts, you might also try setting the title window of the hidden AutoIt3 window. See the AutoItWinGetTitle and AutoItWinSetTitle commands.

I'm tempted to release another project that has all the knowledge to handle communication between 2 scripts in this manor including waiting for a specific messgae, or checking to see if a message exists. Not only do I believe people would find a use for it, but I would also use it when I had such a need myself. Maybe I'll start that project within a week. Gotta finish building my new machine. Had to order a few new parts (including an ATI Radeon X800 :ph34r::( )

Minor edit

Edited by pekster

[font="Optima"]"Standing in the rain, twisted and insane, we are holding onto nothing.Feeling every breath, holding no regrets, we're still looking out for something."[/font]Note: my projects are off-line until I can spend more time to make them compatable with syntax changes.