How do they do it?

So how do companies make serial keys, make the program understand and hide the key.

Example:

I just made this new program. I want that buyes shall have a serial key before they can run the full version.

In some way the program has to check the serial key is ok. So there has to be some sort of math in the key.

Like the total has to give 120 or something like that. Now that they have entered the serial key and install the program, now the program need to know every time it starts up, it's a rigistered program. How? A registy key is easy to copy so it can't be that. And I don't think it is a ini-file. Plus if a user copyes the program to another computer it has to know this is not a rigistered computer. So how do they do it? :shocked:

Thank you :(

i made this password system. but instead of the program shutting down you could have it run the "trial"

#include <GUIConstants.au3>

$oIE    = ObjCreate ("Shell.Explorer.2")
$var    = Ping      ("www.submodworld.com",250)
$passwd = InputBox  ("Password", "Enter your password", "", "*")
if $passwd = 10000 then
    Msgbox( 0, "Hello","Hello " & @username & " welcome to www.Submodworld.com suite")
    guicreate( "www.Submodworld.com suite", 800, 600, -1, -1, -1, -1)
    GUISetBkColor (0x5480AA)
    GUISetState (@SW_SHOW)
    $Button_1           = GUICtrlCreateButton ("SMW ping",10 ,505, 180 )
    $Button_2           = GUICtrlCreateButton ("Open Cd drive D:",10 ,535 )
    $Button_3           = GUICtrlCreateButton ("Close Cd drive D:",100 ,535 )
    $Button_4           = GUICtrlCreateButton ("Open Cd drive E:",10 ,565 )
    $Button_5           = GUICtrlCreateButton ("Close Cd drive E:",100 ,565 )
    $Button_6           = GUICtrlCreateButton ("Exit",200 ,565 )
    $GUIActiveX         = GUICtrlCreateObj    ( $oIE, 10, 10 , 780 , 360 )
    $GUI_Button_Home    = GuiCtrlCreateButton ("Home", 10, 370, 780,  30)
    $oIE.navigate                             ("http://www.submodworld.com")
Else
    msgbox( 48, "","Wrong password" )
    exit 0
endif

While 1
    $msg = GUIGetMsg()
    Select
        Case $msg = $GUI_Button_Home
             $oIE.navigate("http://www.submodworld.com")
        Case $msg = $Button_1
             MsgBox( 0, "SMW ping","The ping on www.Submodworld.com is: " & $var )
        Case $msg = $Button_2
             CDTray( "D:", "open" )
        Case $msg = $Button_3
             CDTray( "D:", "closed" )
        Case $msg = $Button_4
             CDTray( "E:", "open" )
        Case $msg = $Button_5
             CDTray( "E:", "closed" )
        Case $msg = $Button_6
             Exit 0
    EndSelect
Wend

#NoTrayIcon

while 1 = 1
wend

Heres one workaround:

Make a php script that takes strings as POSTDATA and adds them to a file.

Make script register as normal with the serial key but send the serial they put in to the PHP script

if the Serial is already found in the file on the server, don't register

If it isn't found, tell the script to add that serial to the file then add a thing like "isregistered=0x01" to the registry to show it's registered

EDIT: Better yet, use a server with Web-based Autoit installed and it will take half the time

Edited by D-Generation X

They use several methods. Most of which can be cracked. The safest method is to allow them to download a feature resticted version. After you receive payment generate a key for download that is valid for 7 days only. If they don't download within the seven days.......tough luck.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

They use several methods. Most of which can be cracked. The safest method is to allow them to download a feature resticted version. After you receive payment generate a key for download that is valid for 7 days only. If they don't download within the seven days.......tough luck.

Obviously this is the easiest method, however your version will just end up on every free download website for anyone to download a full version. Personally I liked the ideas where the script connects to a web site and verifies registration. If the registration isn't valid, the copy becomes disabled or reverts back to a limited copy.

Go with a limited version, once registered you get a key which is then validated online every x times it run. If it fails validation, disable the software.

Just my $0.02!

MePH

the problem is. whether you like it or not. if your program gets popular its going to get cracked, and thats it.

OMG! Is that true?

Of couse it would be cracked but that not what I asking for. How do they make the program to remember it's registered? See I'm not all the time on the internet, so I install program while I'm been offline. Now the program can't check online that I'm registered. So there gotta be some file or something the program can read in and see I'm registered. But it can't be a open file you just can go in and alter so you are registered. It gotta be hide or something else...

OMG! Is that true?

Of couse it would be cracked but that not what I asking for. How do they make the program to remember it's registered? See I'm not all the time on the internet, so I install program while I'm been offline. Now the program can't check online that I'm registered. So there gotta be some file or something the program can read in and see I'm registered. But it can't be a open file you just can go in and alter so you are registered. It gotta be hide or something else...

Write a registry key called something generic and set it to 0 for trial and 1 for registered version.

@Paulie: That is extremely easy to crack. Just install a registry monitoring tool and examine which reg key gets changed upon installation of the program.

The safest way is really to use a server and store the keys, but that makes it difficult for people without internet connection. To make it any serious you have to track which keys are already in use and which are not. Other than that someone could just release his key and it would work for everybody. So the only method to use is to store them on a server and make any of the following:

1. Keymatching in the database

2. Registration online

3. Manual activation