Is it possible to set default parameters?

Hey all!

Just a short question to the experienced coders: is it possible to define default parameters, so thta if I try to call a function with less than the normal amount of parameters, it reverts to the default value?

-Stigma

Just a short question to the experienced coders: is it possible to define default parameters, so thta if I try to call a function with less than the normal amount of parameters, it reverts to the default value?

yeah

Optional parameters are defined by assigning a default value to them, which could be a macro. They are always the last in the definition. If a parameter is given a default value, then all parameters after that one must also be given default values

http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/docs/keywords/Func.htm

like so:

Func _Func1($P1, $P2 = 0, $P3 = "abc")
endfunc
oÝ÷ Øźw5¶©j¶¦z׫³Mú?f§wMú?v«y×jémyÛhѩݪê-*ºkzÊ^rدz¢'ò¢çQnÍpØij¶¦z׫²Ë«ºÚ"µÍÑ[ÌJJoÝ÷ ÛMú?f§wMú?v«y«­¢f­Æ¥+¶Ú4jwjºZmÊ®¢Ö(¹Æ§¢÷«×yö®ÛÚç¬o&v)ඩj¶¦z׫²)íçîËb¢w[.r¬jëh×6_Func1(1, 1, "def")

now $P2 and $P3 have been overridden to 1 and "def" respectively.

Edited by Kourath

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Related question:

I've got a function defined like this:

func saveOptions($showAlert=0)
    msgbox(0, "showalert", $showAlert); Used to debug only
       ; More code here
endfunc

If I call the function with saveOptions(0) or saveOptions(1), it works OK. The msgbox appears OK.

If I call it with saveOptions() , which should default to '0', I get an undefined variable error.

What gives?

Andy

• Moderators

Hi all,

Related question:

I've got a function defined like this:

func saveOptions($showAlert=0)
    msgbox(0, "showalert", $showAlert); Used to debug only
      ; More code here
endfunc

If I call the function with saveOptions(0) or saveOptions(1), it works OK. The msgbox appears OK.

If I call it with saveOptions() , which should default to '0', I get an undefined variable error.

What gives?

Andy

Works fine here.

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

Same as SmOke_N, it works for me:

saveOptions()

Func saveOptions($showAlert = 0)
    MsgBox(0, "showalert", $showAlert); Used to debug only
    ; More code here
EndFunc   ;==>saveOptions

You must have a typo...

:)

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

Same as SmOke_N, it works for me:

saveOptions()

Func saveOptions($showAlert = 0)
    MsgBox(0, "showalert", $showAlert); Used to debug only
    ; More code here
EndFunc   ;==>saveOptionsoÝ÷ Ù.ë-«ÞjÜ©¢é캷¿ªê-xa¢Wh^²×Û¬x4¶-+¡×¢©ÞÁø¥y«­¢+ÙÍÙ=ÁÑ¥½¹Ì ¤()Õ¹ÍÙ=ÁÑ¥½¹Ì ÀÌØíÍ¡½Ý±ÉÐôÀ¤(µÍ½à À°ÅÕ½ÐíÍ¡½Ý±ÉÐÅÕ½Ðì°ÀÌØíÍ¡½Ý±ÉФìUÍѼս¹±ä(ì5½É½¡É)¹Õ¹oÝ÷ Ø    ÝÊ·ö·«mÜ(®KìÊØ^~éܶ*'Á«z)àq©eyا*+§jV©§¬¾&ºÚ"µÍÕRPÝÙ]Û][
    ÌÍÚ[]    ][ÝÜØ][ÛÉ][ÝÊ

That line fails in the way I've described.

Wierd.

Andy

Ah, hold on. I tested it using ONLY this code in a new file:

And you're right, it works.

The way the function was being called in my original app was via:

GUICtrlSetOnEvent($input0, "saveOptions")oÝ÷ Ù8Z¶X§yö¢È§¶°k"7ö÷zÇ+·Z'«t ÝËú®¢×¢ÒÉ'­èzÓ§÷§µ©Ý趹RzÓ§÷§µ©e«Þ¶¬yû§rبËajØZ½ãN¥ªÚë^®Äáz¥¥ø¥z+'¢Ø(¡Ú'¶¬J{$¶Æ²²z)j¶¦z׫±»­¶²Â)emè Þvz-q«¬yê뢻è^â秶¸±ú+èzÓ§÷§µ©Ý趹RzÓ§÷§µªÞÂìyú+fz{b¢x§+Zµ©e²Úâë"Ç¢»a¢Ç¢¶+'¢Ø Þu©Ýq«¬zÇ«®ìß춸¤zº%ì°Gbµ*hëh¢Ê(8iצ¡©Ý¶©j¶¦z×«È Þu«mçîËb¢wºÈ§z®º+jÉh¬Ê¢}ý¶Úò¶¬z+ZºÚ"µÍÚ[ÛYH  ÙÝZXÛÛÝ[Ë]LÉÝÂÜ
    ][ÝÑÝZSÛ][[ÙI][ÝËJBÝÙ^TÙ]
    ][ÝÞÑTÐßI][ÝË    ][Ý×Ô]Z] ][ÝÊBÕRPÜX]J    ][ÝÕÝ    ][ÝË
BÕRTÙ]Û][
    ÌÍÑÕRWÑUSÐÓÔÑK ][Ý×Ô]Z] ][ÝÊBÕRPÝÜX]P]Û   ][ÝÔURU   ][ÝË
L
ÍKL
L
BÕRPÝÙ]Û][
LK  ][Ý×Ô]Z] ][ÝÊBÕRTÙ]Ý]J
BÚ[HBTÛY
L
BÑ[[ÈÔ]Z]
    ÌÍÔ[HH   ][ÝØXÉ][ÝÊBNÈÙÐÞ
    ][ÝÑXYÉ][ÝË    ][ÝÉÌÍÔ[HH ][ÝÈ  [È ÌÍÔ[JBQ^][[ÈÏOIÝ×Ô]Z]

Uncomment the MsgBox() in _Quit() and you get the error back for trying to use the parameter.

Learn something new every day...

:)

Edited by PsaltyDS
Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law