how did it do that ?!

#include <Inet.au3>

$PublicIP = _GetIP()

MsgBox(0, "IP Address", "Your IP Address is: " & $PublicIP)

I thought this was gonna return something like 192.168.x.x , since I am using a router between my computers and my modem, you know?

instead it returned my modem's ip.

so, did au3 access an outside server and determined my ip on the router as my "public" ip address?

I just wanted the lan up...

what went wrong ?

sure did-

Func _GetIP()
    Local $ip, $t_ip
    If InetGet("http://checkip.dyndns.org/?rnd1=" & Random(1, 65536) & "&rnd2=" & Random(1, 65536), @TempDir & "\~ip.tmp") Then
        $ip = FileRead(@TempDir & "\~ip.tmp", FileGetSize(@TempDir & "\~ip.tmp"))
        FileDelete(@TempDir & "\~ip.tmp")
        $ip = StringTrimLeft($ip, StringInStr($ip, ":") + 1)
        $ip = StringTrimRight($ip, StringLen($ip) - StringInStr($ip, "/") + 2)
        $t_ip = StringSplit($ip, '.')
        If $t_ip[0] = 4 And StringIsDigit($t_ip[1]) And StringIsDigit($t_ip[2]) And StringIsDigit($t_ip[3]) And StringIsDigit($t_ip[4]) Then
            Return $ip
        EndIf
    EndIf
    If InetGet("http://www.whatismyip.com/?rnd1=" & Random(1, 65536) & "&rnd2=" & Random(1, 65536), @TempDir & "\~ip.tmp") Then
        $ip = FileRead(@TempDir & "\~ip.tmp", FileGetSize(@TempDir & "\~ip.tmp"))
        FileDelete(@TempDir & "\~ip.tmp")
        $ip = StringTrimLeft($ip, StringInStr($ip, "Your ip is") + 10)
        $ip = StringLeft($ip, StringInStr($ip, " ") - 1)
        $ip = StringStripWS($ip, 8)
        $t_ip = StringSplit($ip, '.')
        If $t_ip[0] = 4 And StringIsDigit($t_ip[1]) And StringIsDigit($t_ip[2]) And StringIsDigit($t_ip[3]) And StringIsDigit($t_ip[4]) Then
            Return $ip
        EndIf
    EndIf
    SetError(1)
    Return -1
EndFunc   ;==>_GetIP

You can see teh addresses it uses...

Try

MsgBox(0,"IP Address", @IPAddress1)

BTW

The help file does say that it returns the public IP address, so please do not call it crappy just because you do not understand what public means.

Time you enjoyed wasting is not wasted time ......T.S. Elliot
Suspense is worse than disappointment................Robert Burns
God help the man who won't help himself, because no-one else will...........My Grandmother

I do think the help file should mention that using the _GetIP() function causes your computer to talk to an outside web site to get the data. That could be very critical information in some situations. Maybe it's just me, but that looks on casual reading like it should be an internal process, similar to the @IPAddress1 macro. I get that an external IP discovery site is required to see your address outside the NATs and/or Proxies in place, it should just be clearly mentioned in the help file.

:(

P.S. I put a topic in Bug Reports to recommend updating the Remarks for _GetIP() in the help file to:

Remarks

This only returns the Public IP address of a computer or network (i.e. the public IP on the WAN link of your NAT router). The address is determined by accessing an external IP discovery web site like checkip.dyndns.org or www.whatismyip.com.

:shocked:

Edited by PsaltyDS
Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law