Compiled EXE:s executed from network drives makes computers crash

eda

Hi.

I don't know if this is a AutoIT bug, or what it is. I did search for it in forums but could not find it anywhere.

After applying windows updates: KB925902, KB930178, KB931261, 931784 and KB932168

Then running any AutoIT compiled EXE from network drives, some computers shows a blue error screen for a verry short time and then reboots it self. Running the same AutoIT compiled EXE from local drives works fine.

Facts:

I don't think source code is importent due to the error occurs with tree diffrent EXE:s that I made and two of them craches then a msgbox is going to show up and the third then trying to read from the registry.

Anyway... here is a testcript I made and this makes the computer reboot:

MsgBox(0, "crashtest", "If U can see this, then Your computer have not crashed.")

Even this "code" makes the computer to crash:

; No code at all

The three diffrent EXE:s are of tree diffrent AutoIT versions (determined by rightclicking the compiled EXE --> properties --> Version)

Compiled EXE version: 2.63.0.0, 3.0.102.0, and 3.2.2.0

Running the AU3 file by AutoIT.exe works fine.

Since the error only occurs then executing from network drives maby also this information is of importance:

Network OS: Novell Netware 6.5+SP5

Novell workstation client: 4.91+sp3 (4.91.3.20061109)

Tryed to upload a *.mht file showing the Microsoft crach report webpage specific to this case but was not allowed to do that.

If You like some more information please tell me, and I try to handle it over to You.

Kind Regards \\Mike

Novel is an especially hostile network executor. I have had issues with fully permission granted environments when access network executables. Your problem is Novel from my experience.

You may be correct Mr Icekirby, I tried to run the same AutoIT compiled EXE from an windows share and then I do that I have a messagebox saying something like: "Unknown software distributor, would You like to run this software?"

I answer yes by klicking the [run] button, and the software runs fine.

But I also have a lot of other executables running from my Netware server whitout any problems at all.

The question is: Is it Novell who has the problem or is it the AutoIT compiler, or is it Microsoft or....

That is the type of question you probobly newer get an answer of, right?

Thanks for answering!

Kind Regards \\Micke

• 2 weeks later...

After applying windows updates: KB925902, KB930178, KB931261, 931784 and KB932168

Then running any AutoIT compiled EXE from network drives, some computers shows a blue error screen for a verry short time and then reboots it self. Running the same AutoIT compiled EXE from local drives works fine.

A client of mine (still on NetWare 4.11) applied updates to a Windows 2000 Pro station today and started having similar issues. They were KB925902, KB931784, KB930178, and KB932168. Three of them matched the list you provided, so I suspect that it's one of those. He uninstalled the patches and the problem went away. He was having issues with an Access database and accessing Word templates stored on the server so it's not limited to AutoIT.