Testing browser based apps using AutoIt?

In the near future I will need to test some browser based apps, mainly php based pages interacting with MySQL. Basically I will create hundreds or thousands of 'incidents' on several PCs that all ping the same server in the same time period. Current plans call for doing this by simulating webpage navigation using maxQ and just checking for normal return codes such as 200 or 202 vs 400 series return codes.

My forum search for maxQ returned nothing but I was wondering what approaches others have used hopefully involving AutoIt to some extent. MaxQ seems to work fine but it is jython/python based. I like other scripting languages such as tcl but to be honest python & jython drive me nuts. I also would like to do as much of these projects with AutoIt as possible, at least as the launcher for the maxq scripts.

If you have any experience or thoughts about testing browser based apps I sure would like to hear your opinion.

Thanks,

jh

• 2 weeks later...

There is really little magic available here and there are no convenience routines you can use that I know of.

The .Navigate2 COM method does not have a return value, so you must rely on the page source that if generated (either by the brwser, by your proxy server or by the destination server) to and parse out the status.

You can get and parse this result with _IEBodyReadHTML or with the raw text returned by _INetGetSource and you need to decide for yourself what the status is based on the info returned.

It is certainly all very doable, but not necessarily very convenient.

I have not hear of maxQ before, but I'll seek it out because it interests me... there are other testing packages available, some free, some for fee that are geared toward creating test packages or doing link validation.

What I have done, only because it was readily available to me, was to use MS Frontpage to do link validation and status capture. I created a webpage with all of the links I wanted to test on it and then used the Frontpage built-in link validation to automate the test and result collection. So, I've not had a personal need to take this any further.

Hopefully there are some ideas here to help you forward.

Dale

Free Internet Tools: DebugBar, AutoIt IE Builder, HTTP UDF, MODIV2, IE Developer Toolbar, IEDocMon, Fiddler, HTML Validator, WGet, curl

MSDN docs: InternetExplorer Object, Document Object, Overviews and Tutorials, DHTML Objects, DHTML Events, WinHttpRequest, XmlHttpRequest, Cross-Frame Scripting, Office object model

Automate input type=file (Related)

Alternative to _IECreateEmbedded? better: _IECreatePseudoEmbedded  Better Better?

IE.au3 issues with Vista - Workarounds

SciTe Debug mode - it's magic: #AutoIt3Wrapper_run_debug_mode=Y

Doesn't work needs to be ripped out of the troubleshooting lexicon. It means that what you tried did not produce the results you expected. It begs the questions 1) what did you try?, 2) what did you expect? and 3) what happened instead?

Reproducer: a small (the smallest?) piece of stand-alone code that demonstrates your trouble