Component Inventory Logger Application

I would like to write a script and then compile it in to an executable and place it on a server. The path to this application would then be emailed to people on a local network. When the user clicked on the link, a log file would be created on the server for analysis. This information would be used to determine if the components on their current system would support a Vista upgrade.

I would greatly appreciate input on keywords to search for on the forum or Internet, to commands available in AutoIt, to scripts which other users have already written.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to contribute to my endeavor.

taurus905

"Never mistake kindness for weakness."-- Author Unknown --"The highest point to which a weak but experienced mind can rise is detecting the weakness of better men."-- Georg Lichtenberg --Simple Obfuscator (Beta not needed.), Random names for Vars and Funcs

Well when they run the program, you will have to make it send you the data.. So either the users have a place on your server they have write rights or you can have a server that accept tcp connections ...

Start here if you are new Valuater's AutoIT 1-2-3Looking for an UDF - Look hereDo you need to do it twice - Autoit

This is possible with AutoIt, but why reinvent the wheel? Microsoft already has a tool that does what you're looking for, Windows Vista Hardware Assessment. It does an inventory of the machines on your network to determine Vista compatibility, and gives you reports on driver availability and upgrade options (something you'd be hard-pressed to accomplish in AutoIt). If you're looking for more things like this, look on the main Vista TechCenter site.

If, for whatever reason, an AutoIt-based solution is absolutely necessary, you may find this post to be helpful.

Edited by Sokko

Well when they run the program, you will have to make it send you the data.. So either the users have a place on your server they have write rights or you can have a server that accept tcp connections ...

Shevilie,

I would want to create a folder on the server where the user had write permissions set.

taurus905

"Never mistake kindness for weakness."-- Author Unknown --"The highest point to which a weak but experienced mind can rise is detecting the weakness of better men."-- Georg Lichtenberg --Simple Obfuscator (Beta not needed.), Random names for Vars and Funcs

This is possible with AutoIt, but why reinvent the wheel? Microsoft already has a tool that does what you're looking for, Windows Vista Hardware Assessment. It does an inventory of the machines on your network to determine Vista compatibility, and gives you reports on driver availability and upgrade options (something you'd be hard-pressed to accomplish in AutoIt). If you're looking for more things like this, look on the main Vista TechCenter site.

If, for whatever reason, an AutoIt-based solution is absolutely necessary, you may find this post to be helpful.

Sokko,

You are correct. I do not want to recreate the wheel. The "Windows Vista Hardware Assessment" tool looks like exactly what I need.

Thank you.

taurus905