"=" versus "=="

Sorry if this has been asked 1,000 times already, but I cannot enter these symbols into the search feature on the forums and the Help File has very little to say about these operators.

When would we use "==" versus "=" ? The help file seems to imply that the only difference between them is that "==" is case sensitive, is that entirely accurate? I bring this up because of a piece of code that I have been using in many of my scripts suddenly did not work in a new script, and after hours of debugging, I decided to try using "==" instead of "=" and the script ran perfectly.

I will post the example at the bottom of thread, but the short of it is that I was looping and testing for a String value, and when a certain string appears then stop the loop. The below example works if the string value does/does not contain a space (" "), whereas previously when I used "=" it only worked as long as there was no space (" ") in the string. Feedback please?

Thanks in Advance.

Help File:

= Tests if two values are equal (case insensitive if used with strings)

== Tests if two values are equal (case sensitive if used with strings)

Func Find_Table_in_Browser ($oIE, $iEnd)
    ;Get TableData i.e. like a List of Usernames
    $iCC = 0
    Do
        $oTable = _IETableGetCollection ($oIE, $iCC)
        $aTableData = _IETableWriteToArray ($oTable)
        $iCC+=1
    Until $aTableData[0][0] == $iEnd ; previously was just "="
    Return $aTableData
EndFunc;<==Find_Table_in_Browser()

== is to check whether something is true in C++, autoit doesn't really need this. A regular = will check and assign values

= is to assign values to a variable

F@m!ly Guy Fr33k! - Avatar speaks for itself__________________________________________________________________________________________ite quotes... - Is your refrigerator running? If it is, It probably runs like you...very homosexually - Christians don't believe in gravity - Geeze Brian where do you think you are, Payless?- Show me potato Salad!__________________________________________________________________________________________Programs available - Shutdown timer[indent][/indent]

Thanks

Then how do we account for the fact that using "==" fixed my script?

Apparently it is needed for something because there are many examples in the helpfile that uses them and other scripts on this site. I don't exactly what the difference is either but would like to know also.

EndFuncAutoIt is the shiznit. I love it.

Unless used with a string = and == are the same.

The help file explains this fine i think.

1==1 true

"1"=="1" true

1=1 true

"a"="A" true

"a"=="A" false

It is posible that there is some sort of auto-trim used with the == version but you could try and test somthing like

Func Find_Table_in_Browser ($oIE, $iEnd)
    ;Get TableData i.e. like a List of Usernames
    $iCC = 0
    Do
        $oTable = _IETableGetCollection ($oIE, $iCC)
        $aTableData = _IETableWriteToArray ($oTable)
        $iCC+=1
    Until StringStripWS ($aTableData[0][0],8) = StringStripWS ($iEnd,8)
    Return $aTableData
EndFunc;<==Find_Table_in_Browser()

== is to check whether something is true in C++, autoit doesn't really need this.

That's not entirely true as explained above. Edited by evilertoaster