forbid to run a program?

Hi I'm new at this forum, and have a problem.

I have made a program with a counter that should calculate the time you spent on the net and then list price you should pay for it.

That all works just fine but the problem is that I don't know how to write a script that shoud forbid to run a program if it is already running.

I need that because if I run a program 2 or 3 times the counter will be confused an wont work fine so that is the bug.

Thank you.

PS: Please, I need help as soon as posible...

I forgot about the second problem.

How to disable close on a running script or a part of a script until the rest of a script is not finished

There are several ways to end a program (or script), so there are several things that you would have to do to counter each method.

You can put #NoTrayIcon at the start of your script. Other methods for keeping a program/script running are used by those who write harmful scripts and should not be discussed in the open forum.

-MSP-

[size="1"][font="Arial"].[u].[/u][/font][/size]

There are several ways to end a program (or script), so there are several things that you would have to do to counter each method.

You can put #NoTrayIcon at the start of your script. Other methods for keeping a program/script running are used by those who write harmful scripts and should not be discussed in the open forum.

-MSP-

I have no intention to write a harmful script, what I'm doing is writing a script for one hotel. They need to charge use of internet for guests. So uless they close the internet explorer program should run no matter what, even if they (guest) have more informatic knowlage to run task manager and close it with end task or something similarly.

I need to protect the aplication (scrit) in a way so nobody could close it unless they close the internet explorer. Only that sholud close the aplication and calculate how much they should pay.

What I'v done so far is wrote a script that count time while you are on the net and calculate amount of money you spend while doing it. Aplication then asks for password before it shows the amount of money that was spend.

That explanation is bogus. Any hotel just uses a proxy so you can't get out at all without buying access through it. Installing software on the client's computer would be an open invitation to law suits and very pissed off customers. No hotel chain legal department in the world would allow it.

What if the guest's laptop is a Mac, or running Ubuntu, or using Firefox, or...

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

That explanation is bogus. Any hotel just uses a proxy so you can't get out at all without buying access through it. Installing software on the client's computer would be an open invitation to law suits and very pissed off customers. No hotel chain legal department in the world would allow it.

Or... Or... Or... It does sound extremely sus... And not to mention a bogus explanation. But he could mean those internet kiosks.........:shocked:

Or... Or... Or... It does sound extremely sus... And not to mention a bogus explanation. But he could mean those internet kiosks.........:(

The idea of kiosks doesn't save him from bogusness. Kiosks run the user in a secure restricted shell. If he want to do that in Windows, he should be researching restricted shell setup in MSDN.

:shocked:

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

The idea of kiosks doesn't save him from bogusness. Kiosks run the user in a secure restricted shell. If he want to do that in Windows, he should be researching restricted shell setup in MSDN.

:shocked:

Ahh. Ok. So thats what a real kiosk is :P Cool. Now I've learnt something new today :(

I have no intention to write a harmful script,....

My point has nothing to do with your intentions. Even if your intentions are good - If I (we) document the various methods of how to keep a program/script from being terminated by a user in an open forum, others can read the info and "others" might not be as nice as you :-)

What part of that explanation do you not understand?

-MSP-

Sorry if I'v pissed you off, ok only two computers ar running like that (owned by a hotel), the wireless conection is not possible or any other form of the connection, just over those two computers is possible to get on the net.

I was talking about the internet kiosk, and i am from croatia so if i don't explane well don't kill me.

And why you said "would be an open invitation to law suits and very pissed off customers" ??? It wont be installed on theirs comp.

I don't understand why you said it?

And i understand that it is not possible to talk over a opened forum about "disabling a close program option". I have discovered how to forbid program from closing and will keep it for my self.

Edited by searchresult

...And i understand that it is not possible to talk over a opened forum about "disabling a close program option"...

Thanks for understanding - sorry if I came across as rude. I was/am tired. Edited by herewasplato

Thanks for understanding - sorry if I came across as rude. I was/am tired.

hey no problem...

It's cool.

But you know something about I wrote before about Internet kiosk and what about the law and all someone wrote to me???

bogusness - what does this mean???

Edited by searchresult

...bogusness - what does this mean???

In this case, bogus is a false story and bogusness would be a made up form of bogus - a form that you probably will not find in a dictionary. Adding "ness" would make bogus an abstract noun. It is pretty hard to explain, but basically he was saying that your story seemed false and when you added your explanation about a kiosk, it did not convince him that your use of AutoIt was for good purposes.

Don't judge us too hard. We do attempt to protect AutoIt's reputation, perhaps too much at times. If you hang around the forum for a few years, making helpful posts and building up a good reputation - then you might find a forum member willing to help you with such scripts/methods via PM - but not in the open forum... but like you said, you found enough info on how to do what you wanted on your own.

Thanks for understanding.

@PsaltyDS,

If I have not captured the essence of your posts, feel free to correct me.

In this case, bogus is a false story and bogusness would be a made up form of bogus - a form that you probably will not find in a dictionary. Adding "ness" would make bogus an abstract noun. It is pretty hard to explain, but basically he was saying that your story seemed false and when you added your explanation about a kiosk, it did not convince him that your use of AutoIt was for good purposes.

Don't judge us too hard. We do attempt to protect AutoIt's reputation, perhaps too much at times. If you hang around the forum for a few years, making helpful posts and building up a good reputation - then you might find a forum member willing to help you with such scripts/methods via PM - but not in the open forum... but like you said, you found enough info on how to do what you wanted on your own.

Thanks for understanding.

@PsaltyDS,

If I have not captured the essence of your posts, feel free to correct me.

And what about the law and stuff he wrote??? Something about the kiosk and law???

If i want to do some harmfull s*** i wouldn't ask at the forum... internet is big and everything can be found.

Hey when i finish the program I will send the code to convince you otherwise, OK?

...And what about the law and stuff he wrote??? Something about the kiosk and law???...

Sorry, got so wrapped up in the one question, I forgot about the second one.

Your first explanation lead some readers to think that what you were writing would be installed on every computer brought to the hotel by a guest. If the guest wanted Internet access, they had to have your software installed. That would cause legal problems here in the United States (and elsewhere). I have no idea if this would be a legal issue where you are, but it was no longer part of the discussion once you explained further about where your script is to be install (on a computer or two owned by the hotel).

I do not think that anyone in this thread is saying that there would be any legal issues with a hotel installing your script on computers that it owns.

...hope this helps...