Pretty HTML Oriented.. but give it a try

In experimentation for BlogIt 0.22, I decided to test out a skin switcher. I set things up, and to my surprise, everything worked the first time. Just to show you, here is index.auw:

;index.auw
;for BlogIt
;coding by sandman
;skins by www.freecsstemplates.org

#include "web.au3"

If _Get("preview") <> "" Then
    $prevskin = _Get("preview")
    $skinlist = FileRead("skins.txt")
    $findskin = StringInStr($skinlist, $prevskin)
    If $findskin = 0 Then
        _MsgBox("Invalid skin name.")
    Else
        _StartWebApp("BlogIt Skin Preview :: " & $prevskin, "<link rel='stylesheet' href='skins/"&$prevskin&"/default.css'>")
        $pgheader = FileRead("html/index_header.html")
        Echo($pgheader)
        $content = FileRead("html/postheader.html")
        Echo($content)
        $pgfooter = FileRead("html/index_footer.html")
        Echo($pgfooter)
    EndIf
Else
    ;load skin
    $rskin = IniRead("options.ini", "Settings", "skin", "chromz")
    ;start page, and show skin
    _StartWebApp("BlogIt :: Index", "<link rel='stylesheet' href='skins/"&$rskin&"/default.css'>")
    ;load constant headers
    Echo($pgheader)
    ;load main content
    Echo($content)
    ;load constant footers
    Echo($pgfooter)
EndIf

Now, this actually works fine. I don't even really need to post it. The <link rel='stylesheet'... actually shows up in the HTML code.

But for some EXTREMELY ANNOYING reason, the CSS doesn't show up.

By default, default.css sets a background and other things that do not require correct <div> tags. I have no idea why it is not showing these.

Things I have already tried:

• commenting out numerous sections of index.auw = FAILED
  • moving default.css to the same directory as page and changing the href link = FAILED
This has been an extremely frustrating addition.. if the code even shows in the page source, WHY ISN'T IT WORKING?!?!

Sorry for yelling :shocked: ,

SANDMAN!

Edited by sandman

[center]"Yes, [our app] runs on Windows as well as Linux, but if you had a Picasso painting, would you put it in the bathroom?" -BitchX.com (IRC client)"I would change the world, but they won't give me the source code." -Unknownsite . blog . portfolio . claimidcode.is.poetry();[/center]

1. Sure.. I'll comment it a bit too. Comments are marked with a ;.

<html><head>;SEE, IT'S RIGHT HERE!!<link rel='stylesheet' href='skins/chromz/default.css'><title>BlogIt :: Index</title></head><div id="logo">
    <h1><a href="#">blogit</a></h1>
</div>
<div id="menu">
    <ul>
        <li class="active"><a href="index.auw" title="">View Posts</a></li>
        <li><a href="admin.auw" title="">Write a post</a></li>
    </ul>

</div>
<div id="wrapper">
    <div id="col-two">
<div id='footer'><p id="legal">Copyright &copy; 2007 Chromz. All Rights Reserved.</p><p align='right' id='legal'><a href='http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=44582'>BlogIt v0.21 &copy; sandman 2007.</a></p></div>

2. Sorry, during the time I was trying to fix this I changed the parameters a bit.. must have forgotten to change that. :shocked:

Also, I forgot to revert it back to the skin switcher version.. OOPS! I'll do that right now :(

Correct index.auw code:

;index.auw
;for BlogIt
;coding by sandman
;skins by www.freecsstemplates.org

#include "web.au3"

If _Get("preview") <> "" Then
    $prevskin = _Get("preview")
    $skinlist = FileRead("skins.txt")
    $findskin = StringInStr($skinlist, $prevskin)
    If $findskin = 0 Then
        _MsgBox("Invalid skin name.")
    Else
        _StartWebApp("BlogIt Skin Preview :: " & $prevskin, "<link rel='stylesheet' href='skins/"&$prevskin&"/default.css'>")
        Echo($pgheader)
        Echo($content)
        Echo($pgfooter)
    EndIf
Else
    ;load skin
    $rskin = IniRead("options.ini", "Settings", "skin", "chromz")
    ;start page, and show skin
    _StartWebApp("BlogIt :: Index", "<link rel='stylesheet' href='skins/"&$rskin&"/default.css'>")
    ;load constant headers
    Echo($pgheader)
    ;load main content
    Echo($content)
    ;load constant footers
    Echo($pgfooter)
EndIf

[center]"Yes, [our app] runs on Windows as well as Linux, but if you had a Picasso painting, would you put it in the bathroom?" -BitchX.com (IRC client)"I would change the world, but they won't give me the source code." -Unknownsite . blog . portfolio . claimidcode.is.poetry();[/center]

Would it be safe to assume that if you wrote that HTML into a separate file and loaded that, it still does not work?

I notice two things right off the bat, no <body> tags, and no closing <html> tag. Don't know if that will fix the problem, but it's bad form. :shocked:

I'll have a look at it some more later, right now I'm going to bed.

*Edit: Just had to mention, you don't close two of the <div>'s either ("wrapper" and "col-two").

Edited by Saunders

Would it be safe to assume that if you wrote that HTML into a separate file and loaded that, it still does not work?

I notice two things right off the bat, no <body> tags, and no closing <html> tag. Don't know if that will fix the problem, but it's bad form. :shocked:

*Edit: Just had to mention, you don't close two of the <div>'s either ("wrapper" and "col-two").

Too right! What you doing up so early your time???

Yeah, I noticed that too.. I didn't think that that would change much, though.

I have already tried copying it into a HTML file and opening it, same result.

Tested in both IE and FF. But, as my last resort, I will try adding in the body and closing div tags. I will post the results soon.

Oh, I feel stupid now....

That worked...

:shocked:

Thank you Saunders! :(

Ugh, wait...

It just stopped working again... :shocked:

I didn't even change anything :(

Sorry I took so long, been a little busy.

Strange that it worked, then didn't... strange indeed.

I do have some other suggestions.

• Ensure that the path is correct as far as the browser is concerned. Easy enough to do, just add a link to that same page, like <a href="skins/chromz/default.css">Test</a>. You wouldn't believe how many times that's screwed me up (some servers are picky about case sensitivity too, skins/chromz is different from Skins/ChromZ, etc).
  • Try adding type="text/css" to the link tag that calls your CSS file. (<link rel="stylesheet" href="skins/chromz/default.css" type="text/css">)
  • If that doesn't work, you can also import the CSS file in a standard <style> tag. Like so:
    <style type="text/css">
        @import url("skins/chromz/default.css");
    </style>
  • Try using an absolute path to the CSS file instead of a relative one.
  • And last, I really don't think this will make a difference, but maybe use double quotes (") instead of single quotes (') for the attributes.
Hopefully something works for you.

Keep me posted! :)

AHA!!

#1 proved to be the error, although I haven't tried the other solutions, although I don't think I need to now :D

I have no idea why, but when I clicked the link it gave me a Not Found page.. I am 100% sure that it is there, so this is really confusing.. :)