Trickle data over network...

I am building a GUI script to keep my various XP deployment servers up to date. Some of our sites are in remote northern Canadian locations where site to site VPNs aren't all that powerful. Also we use a network heavy production application that is communicating with far off servers. I am trying to find out if it is possible to use AutoIT to make a script that copies files from one location to another by throttling the bandwidth to a more manageable level. Some of the data I transfer can be several hundred megabytes in size, so I don't want my transfers to interfere with our other 24/7 production traffic. Does anyone know if this is possible? Are there some convenient DLL calls that could make this happen?

Perhaps this might do what you want:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003...rview/bits.mspx

This document is an introduction to the Background Intelligent Transfer Service. It is intended for IT professionals who are interested in using BITS from within a software application.

BITS transfers files using leftover bandwidth. For example, if you are currently using 60 percent of your bandwidth, BITS will only use the remaining 40 percent. BITS also maintains file transfers when a network disconnection occurs, or a computer needs to be restarted: When the network connection is re-established, BITS will continue where it left off.

Note: BITS version 1.0 is included with Windows XP and supports only downloads. BITS version 1.5 is included with Windows Server 2003 and supports both downloads and uploads. Version 1.5 will be available as a redistributable for Windows 2000 and Windows XP following the release of Windows Server 2003. Uploads require Internet Information Services (IIS) server with the BITS server extension installed.

[size="1"][font="Arial"].[u].[/u][/font][/size]

That isn't quite what I am looking for but it is very promising. If it has the ability to set the speed in which it uses to transfer files, then it will be a 100% winner. My PC bandwidth isn't the question, it is the overall network strain that is.

Thanks for the info.

I do not think that BITs is meant to allow one to set a fixed amount of bandwidth, it uses "what is not in use by other programs". It varies during the file transfer. I've watched it in work via a poor dial-up connection while streaming audio... when the audio stream was shutdown, BITs used more bandwidth, once the audio stream was restarted, BITs self-adjusted to use less bandwidth - all while transferring one large file.

[size="1"][font="Arial"].[u].[/u][/font][/size]

• Developers

Agree, it is supposed to auto throttle the used bandwidth depending on what is available. .

Windows update/SUS/WUS and SMS use it to transfer the patches and packages from the distribution point to the PC's.

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)