oracle connection problem

i have a problem running my script on other PC;

on my PC it works fine

the code is:

; Initialize COM error handler
$oMyError = ObjEvent("AutoIt.Error","MyErrFunc")

$ado = ObjCreate( "ADODB.Connection" ) 

with $ado
    .ConnectionString =("Provider='OraOLEDB.Oracle';Data Source='maindb';User Id='x';Password='x';")
    .open

EndWith

Func MyErrFunc()
  $HexNumber=hex($oMyError.number,8)
  Msgbox(0,"COM Test","We intercepted a COM Error !"       & @CRLF  & @CRLF & _
             "err.description is: "    & @TAB & $oMyError.description    & @CRLF & _
             "err.windescription:"     & @TAB & $oMyError.windescription & @CRLF & _
             "err.number is: "         & @TAB & $HexNumber              & @CRLF & _
             "err.lastdllerror is: "   & @TAB & $oMyError.lastdllerror   & @CRLF & _
             "err.scriptline is: "     & @TAB & $oMyError.scriptline     & @CRLF & _
             "err.source is: "         & @TAB & $oMyError.source         & @CRLF & _
             "err.helpfile is: "       & @TAB & $oMyError.helpfile       & @CRLF & _
             "err.helpcontext is: "    & @TAB & $oMyError.helpcontext _
            )
  SetError(1)  ; to check for after this function returns
Endfunc

the error is: ORA-12154: TNS: could not resolve the connect identifier specified

the tnsname.ora file is ok because with the SQL plus i can connect to that database with that username and password

what could it be wrong?

pls help

what does TNSPING say?

tnsping databasename

should give you a resolving of the database to servername.

then it should connect to the oracle port to verify if a connection is phisically possible.

if this is not possible check dns resolving and possibly add hostname and IP address of the server to hostfile under

windows\sys32\drivers\etc\host

let me know how it goes...

Dimitri

tnsping maindb

TNS Ping Utility for 32-bit Windows: Version 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on 11-MAY-2

007 09:35:38

Copyright © 1997, 2005, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Used parameter files:

D:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_2\network\admin\sqlnet.ora

Used TNSNAMES adapter to resolve the alias

Attempting to contact (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = xx)(PORT = 1521)) (CONNECT_DATA = (SERVER = DEDICATED) (SERVICE_NAME = maindb)))

OK (10 msec)

I see no quotes in the connection string built by the "connection string editor" (free download at the code project)

Provider=MSDAORA.1; (this should be your oracle driver)

User ID=x;

Password=x;

Data Source=SERVERHOSTNAME;

Persist Security Info=TRUE

so I would use this as connection string:

'Provider=MSDAORA.1;User ID=x;Password=x;Data Source=mainDB;Persist Security Info=TRUE'

also plz check:

http://ora-12154.ora-code.com/

Edited by lordofthestrings

it can be another drive than this? because i can connect to some database and i can't to others

tnsping it's ok (TNS Ping Utility for 32-bit Windows: Version 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on 11-MAY-2

007 13:11:17

Copyright © 1997, 2005, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Used parameter files:

D:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\network\admin\sqlnet.ora

Used TNSNAMES adapter to resolve the alias

Attempting to contact (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS_LIST = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)

(HOST = 10.27.0.50)(PORT = 1521))) (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = amex) (SERVER = DEDICA

TED)))

OK (20 msec)

and i can't connect to this database (same errors with tnsname)

i've figure out what the problem is

my code is:

$oMyError = ObjEvent("AutoIt.Error","MyErrFunc")
$sql1 = ObjCreate( "ADODB.Connection" ) ; Create a COM ADODB Object with the Beta version
With $sql1
.ConnectionString =('Provider=MSDAORA.1;User ID=xxx_av;Password=xxx;Data Source=maindb;Persist Security Info=TRUE')
.Open

EndWith

if $oMyError.description=="" then
                FileWrite($file,"STEP 4 ---PASSED---  Connection to xxx_AV established" & @CRLF)

Else
                FileWrite($file,"STEP 4 ---FAILED---  Connection to xxx_AV couldn't be established" & @CRLF)

EndIf
$sql1.Close     

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; END FOR xxx_AV;;;;;;;;;;;

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; FOR xxx_DW;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
$sql2 = ObjCreate( "ADODB.Connection" ) ; Create a COM ADODB Object with the Beta version

With $sql2
.ConnectionString =('Provider=MSDAORA.1;User ID=xxx_dw;Password=xxx;Data Source=maindb;Persist Security Info=TRUE')
.Open
EndWith
if $oMyError.description=="" then
                FileWrite($file,"       ---PASSED---  Connection to xxx_DW established" & @CRLF)
                        Else
                FileWrite($file,"       ---FAILED---  Connection to xxx_DW couldn't be established" & @CRLF)
                        EndIf
$sql2.Close                             
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;END FOR xxx_DW;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;             

Func MyErrFunc()

$HexNumber=hex($oMyError.number,2)
  return $omyerror.description

EndFunc

the problem is that if first user doesn't exist the $omyerror is diferent than "" and in my file for the second user ,which exist , it tells me FAILED

what can i do with $oMyError.description to give it value="" after the first user verification

if i put $oMyError = ObjEvent("AutoIt.Error","MyErrFunc") before sql2 too it gives me error : operation not allowed when the object is closed and i can't put

$oMyError.description="" in the first line of the MyErrFunc function

any ideea to make MyErrFunc work corectly with sql1 and sql2 or i can use something else than MyErrFunc to tell me if the database connection is established and put than into my file?

Edited by carabusu

how about simply using tnsping to prove that your connection to the database is there?

that's why the tool was designed.. to test connectivity issues.. it can be a host name resolving problem, or it can be an other TCP related problem like connection can not be established..

if you see the last <OK>, it means that it connected to the database without errors..

I would launch that from my autoIT script using the run or runwait function..

hope this helps..

to actually test if you can log in the database, I would use OSQL.EXE or ISQL.EXE ..

SQLPlus /nolog is another command that gives some feedback can be used for troubleshooting..