Start/Stop a Service

midiaxe

Hello everybody,

I have an installation where I need to stop an existing service before the installation and restart after. I looked at the AI doc and didn't find anything about starting/stopping a service. I guess it's not available yet in the current version ( I hope I'm wrong). I can use "net start <service>" and "net stop <service>" but would like to use an autoit function.

Thanks,

=MX=

To Ezzetabi,

to Disable service see :

RegWrite("HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\{servicename}\Start".........

Andre

What about Windows without using AutoIt ?It would be the same as driving a car without an steering Wheel!

If you know you'll only be using WinXP ONLY, try the SC command (Service Controller). Use Windows Help (gasp!) and type A-Z in the search bar, and click on "Command-line reference A-Z" and then on the letter S at the top of the window. SC will be at the top of the list - click on it for the full reference.

Jerry

If you know you'll only be using WinXP ONLY, try the SC command (Service Controller).  Use Windows Help (gasp!) and type A-Z in the search bar, and click on "Command-line reference A-Z" and then on the letter S at the top of the window.  SC will be at the top of the list - click on it for the full reference.

Jerry

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you want to remove service see these keys :

regdelete("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentControlSet\Services\xxxxxxxxx")

regdelete("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\xxxxxxxxxxxxx")

where the x are service name.

To stop the service :

RunWait(@ComSpec & " /c " & 'net stop <service>', "", @SW_HIDE) works fine.

chees

Edited by kristoff

If you want to remove service see these keys :

regdelete("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentControlSet\Services\xxxxxxxxx")

regdelete("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\xxxxxxxxxxxxx")

Er, maybe you mean:

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services"

Use Mozilla | Take a look at My Disorganized AutoIt stuff | Very very old: AutoBuilder 11 Jan 2005 prototype I need to update my sig!

• 1 month later...

Larry,

Could you expound upon your comment of trapping the return code when using the "Net Stop" command to stop a service. As an example, stopping and then restarting the "Spooler" service. Obviously there should not be an attempt to restart the service until it has completed a stop. I would be interested in seeing an example of AutoIT using the return code to test a 'Pass' / 'Fail' type of scenario.

Thanks,

ZK

If you know you'll only be using WinXP ONLY, try the SC command (Service Controller).  Use Windows Help (gasp!) and type A-Z in the search bar, and click on "Command-line reference A-Z" and then on the letter S at the top of the window.  SC will be at the top of the list - click on it for the full reference.

Jerry

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

or, if you're not just using XP, try using SysInternals' PsService

"I'm not even supposed to be here today!" -Dante (Hicks)