Run and external command help

Hi, I am new to the wonders of autoIT and after two days of searching through the forums I need help! Im stuck and digging a deepr hole for myself by the hour.

I have a small script I wrote that lists all the powerpoint files in a folder through a gui and then should pass on the selected file to a command that it will run with the external pptview application.

I can get the script to work if I manually type the file name. with the two methods below but I am stuck on how to pass the variable to the command line. I have tried numerous ways and now I feel I am going round in circles.

Run('pptview.exe /s copy of presentaion1.ppt', @scriptdir)

Run(@ComSpec & " /c " & 'pptview.exe /s "copy of presentation1.ppt"', "", @SW_HIDE)

I would imagine it to be something like

Run('pptview.exe /s & $SelctedFile, @scriptdir)

But I cant get it to work.!!!!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

brian

Hi hubertus, thanks for the reply.

Yes this works fine for files with no spaces in the name

ShellExecute('pptview.exe', "/s " & $s_text)

I never made clear in my last post that I need it to be able to handle file names with spaces ect (copy of presentation1.ppt)

Thanks again

I have manage to complete what I want but I have to write the vairable to a txt file and use a batch command to run it using

FileWrite($file,$s_text)

FileClose($file)

Run(@ComSpec & " /c " & 'play.bat', "", @SW_HIDE)

I woudl love for AutoIT to be able to complete all this internally. Anyone?

Hi hubertus, thanks for the reply.

Yes this works fine for files with no spaces in the name

ShellExecute('pptview.exe', "/s " & $s_text)

I never made clear in my last post that I need it to be able to handle file names with spaces ect (copy of presentation1.ppt)

Thanks again

Use single quotes to include double quotes as part of the string:

$s_text = 'copy of presentaion1.ppt'
ShellExecute('pptview.exe', ' /s "' & $s_text & '"')oÝ÷ Ù8^¥ªÚë^®ÊZ²Ç¶i¶øÁì^Â¥u·¡×¿³~¢¨~Þ±éíj*'ÖmßÜ¡×I8^½ªâi¹^˧ç²Æ«Ê'ò¢çhmÁ©í¶¬z+[ºÛ-Ygyçm¢ë²)àꮢ׬¶§rZ,^+^­©]¢æåz«¨µëºÚ"µÍÚ[^XÝ]J   ÌÎNÜY]Ë^IÌÎNË    ÌÎNÈÜÈ ][ÝØÛÜHÙÙ[Z[ÛK   ][ÝÉÌÎNÊ

:)

Edited by PsaltyDS
Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

Many Thanks to Hubertus72 & PsaltyDS

I have go it working now without external batch files !

This is the part that had me stuck...

Thanks again

brian

This is the part that had me stuck...

Just for completeness, I'll mention another good fix: FileGetShortName()

Returns the 8.3 format short name of the file that can use without double quotes:

$s_file = FileGetShortName(@ScriptDir & '\copy of presentaion1.ppt')
ShellExecute('pptview.exe', ' /s ' & $s_file) ; no double quotes needed

:)

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

:D

Where'd you find the :ninja; smiley? That's cool, and it doesn't come up in my smiley list in the forum editor... :)

$var_to_evaluate = "test test123"           ; var to evaluate, put space in it or not.
if stringinstr($var_to_evaluate," ") then       ; if in the string variable you find a space
    $var_to_evaluate = '"' & $var_to_evaluate & '"' ; enclose var to evaluate with double quotes
Else                            ; otherwise
    $var_to_evaluate = $var_to_evaluate         ; leave variable intact
EndIf                           ; end conditional statement.

sorry for late reply.

hope this code does what you need..

Edited by lordofthestrings