AutoIt and Databases

I was hunting around in the AI help file for some db functionality and came up relatively empty. Does AI have any means to store data aside from a flat file format?

Integration with xSQL or Access would be fun.

Another thing I noticed that I think is new in AI3x is FTP functionality, but nothing for PUT. Why not? AI would be fantastic for a scheduled backup application, but not so much if it can't PUT anything anywhere.

Lastly, has anyone discovered where AI becomes inadequate with gui and processing where a higher level language like VB, Python or C would be the better choice? i.e. has anyone attempted a full blown app like a PIM with AI?

Thanks

-Scott

Search forum for "ADODB.Connection"

example of search

You can manipulate also Access DB via COM in Autoit.

Holy smokes, SQLite is now embedded with the Autoit package! I think I don't need Access anymore.

I found this nice free SQLite admin tool yesterday, but I'm not sure if I'll even need it...

http://the-stickman.com/web-development/at...istration-tool/

I am now seriously considering writing a fullblown contact manager in Autoit with a SQLite db.

The advantages of Autoit over VB.net are:

Faster development time.

Full control over the development.

Don't have to constantly wait for the IDE to refresh, even on a P4 3.06ghz box.

I needed Autoit anyway to move data to a 3rd party calendar app.

The app will most likely run much faster.

Final app will not need to dowload 100meg .net framework.

1/2 of it is practically done already thanks to guys here.

I can fire my coder!

Some disadvantages are:

Lot of code in one big au3 file.

Bit of a learning curve with both Autoit and SQLite (for me personally).

Whatever I run into that I can't do with Autoit that can be done in vb.

If this forum goes down again I'm stalled!

I'm not going to work on my gas mileage tracker for quite awhile.

I hope this works. I'm soaking up info on this as fast as I can trying to find something that will make it not work, but I can't find anything.

Mucho thanks for the links!

When are they sending out the "I survived the Autoit forum crash of 5-24-2007" t-shirts? :)

-Scott

You can make your own include file and to it some of your code (functions)

use:

#include "my_functions.au3"

and place my_functions.au3 in the same directory as your main script

I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote that...

If this contact manager app uses a relational db is there any chance that I might run into hangups with namespaces or abstract data types?

From Wikipedia:

"There are a few omissions in the Autoit programming language that some may find limiting. Autoit lacks (or has only limited support for) such features as: Namespaces; object-oriented programming; abstract data types; reference types; classes; and advanced graphics functions."

Reading (still reading) this thread http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17099 on SQLite I'm am quite convinced that Autoit will work nicely for my db app.

It's going slow though.

1) That thread is very advanced stuff, I really need a chopped down version that just reads and writes to a db from a few fields so I can get an idea what I do and don't need as far as support objects. The excel thing that keeps getting thrown into the mix is just confusing as all get out.

2) I keep running into errors on W2k with written Autoit scrips. Running the post 2 code from that thread spits up a bunch of these...

Posted Image

...ironically referencing EXCEL stuff again!

I also had problems running the Autoit 1-2-3 app where it would not show the choices on any of the tests. Kinda funny how that turned out but it still won't work on W2k for some reason.

3) I'm totally new to SQLite, but I'm picking up on it pretty steadily.

4) Things have changed around here quite a bit it seems. Not sure exactly, but it seems as if things slowed down here and at the same time a select few have taken Autoit to some amazing new levels. I also get the impression that donations are weak. I am already planning to make a large donation if I get this app off the ground. It was worth it when I donated 20 bucks for my MultiClip app (that I still use daily) and it will be worth several hundred bucks when this new one gets completed. I'm not paying for a vb coder anymore thanks to Autoit.

Since I have such a nice - search able title to this thread, I'm thinking of having a mod wipe all this babble so I can restart it with some project code and build from that.

2) I keep running into errors on W2k with written Autoit scrips. Running the post 2 code from that thread spits up a bunch of these...

Posted Image

...ironically referencing EXCEL stuff again!

I also had problems running the Autoit 1-2-3 app where it would not show the choices on any of the tests. Kinda funny how that turned out but it still won't work on W2k for some reason.

You probably don't have properly installed Excel. When you use COM objects they must be properly instaled/registered in system.

Autoit 1-2-3 is not working on Win9x due to call some API functions from higher Windows versions so maybe on W2K it's similar reason.

You probably don't have properly installed Excel. When you use COM objects they must be properly instaled/registered in system.

Autoit 1-2-3 is not working on Win9x due to call some API functions from higher Windows versions so maybe on W2K it's similar reason.

I have office 2000 installed and working, use excel all the time.

I rethought this whole project and decided to circle back for the 4th time to come to a completely different solution...

FileMaker pro

I can't afford to keep stalling when I can't figure out code, I'm too visual, not a coder.

FileMaker looks promising and will give a lot of functionality without me having to try and digest a ton of code.

Mod: you can wipe this whole thread if you want.