notepad

Is there a major difference between FileSelectFolder and FileSaveDialog? I am trying to automate notepad and then save the file in the desktop folder of all users\desktop. Not sure which option would be the best for me to use.

thanks

Is there a major difference between FileSelectFolder and FileSaveDialog? I am trying to automate notepad and then save the file in the desktop folder of all users\desktop. Not sure which option would be the best for me to use.

thanks

You cannot select a file with FileSelectFolder(). You would be selecting the folder, then using a file name derived elsewhere.

FileSaveDialog() will select a complete path to save to, including both the folder and file name.

From your description, it sounds like you want FileSaveDialog() with the "init dir" parameter pointed to the desktop folder.

:)

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

You cannot select a file with FileSelectFolder(). You would be selecting the folder, then using a file name derived elsewhere.

FileSaveDialog() will select a complete path to save to, including both the folder and file name.

From your description, it sounds like you want FileSaveDialog() with the "init dir" parameter pointed to the desktop folder.

When I use the FileSaveDialog and then run my script the Save As box pops up with Desktop in the Save in field only its my desktop folder and not All Users\Desktop folder. Is there something I am missing in my script. Here is what I have so far:

;Open Notepad, write multiple lines and save to all user desktop

Run ("Notepad.exe")

Sleep (2000)

Send ("Hello, Welcome to Your System.")

Send ("This file will be saved when closed.")

Sleep (2000)

$var = FileSaveDialog( "", "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop", "Scripts (*.aut;*.au3)|Text files (*.ini;*.txt)", 2)

If @error Then

MsgBox(4096,"","Save cancelled.")

Else

MsgBox(4096,"","You chose " & $var)

EndIf

Shortened the demo to get rid of fluff and use the macro:

$var = FileSaveDialog("", @DesktopCommonDir, "Scripts (*.aut;*.au3)|Text files (*.ini;*.txt)", 2)

If @error Then
    MsgBox(4096, "", "Save cancelled.")
Else
    MsgBox(4096, "", "You chose " & $var)
EndIf

Still got the same result you did... gotta love how Microsoft always knows better than you do what you REALLY wanted! :)

That explains the Vista slogan: "Where do you want to beg permission to go today?"

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

Hi,

For saving you need to write data to file:

;Open Notepad, write multiple lines and save to all user desktop

Run ("Notepad.exe")

Sleep (2000)
Sleep (2000)

$var = FileSaveDialog( "", "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop", "Scripts (*.aut;*.au3)|Text files (*.ini;*.txt)", 2)

If @error Then
Else
FileWrite($var, "Hello, Welcome to Your System." & @CRLF & "This file will be saved when closed.")
EndIfoÝ÷ Øhm¶§)í«jDz¢éÞyÚ)zyèµêZtêâ*.ë-Á©í¶½æ¥ØZ¶¬Â¸­z{hyØ­¡ùèµêZvØ^Úò¶¬jëh×6Opt("WinTitleMatchMode", 2)

Run ("Notepad.exe")

Sleep (2000)
Sleep (2000)

If @error Then
Else
    $GetNotepadText = ControlGetText(WinGetTitle(" - Notepad"), "", "Scintilla1")
    FileWrite($var, $GetNotepadText)
EndIf

Spoiler

Using OS: Win 7 Professional, Using AutoIt Ver(s): 3.3.6.1 / 3.3.8.1

AutoIt_Rus_Community.png AutoIt Russian Community

My Work...

Spoiler

AutoIt_Icon_small.pngProjects: ATT - Application Translate Tool {new}| BlockIt - Block files & folders {new}| SIP - Selected Image Preview {new}| SISCABMAN - SciTE Abbreviations Manager {new}| AutoIt Path Switcher | AutoIt Menu for Opera! | YouTube Download Center! | Desktop Icons Restorator | Math Tasks | KeyBoard & Mouse Cleaner | CaptureIt - Capture Images Utility | CheckFileSize Program

AutoIt_Icon_small.pngUDFs: OnAutoItErrorRegister - Handle AutoIt critical errors {new}| AutoIt Syntax Highlight {new}| Opera Library! | Winamp Library | GetFolderToMenu | Custom_InputBox()! | _FileRun UDF | _CheckInput() UDF | _GUIInputSetOnlyNumbers() UDF | _FileGetValidName() UDF | _GUICtrlCreateRadioCBox UDF | _GuiCreateGrid() | _PathSplitByRegExp() | _GUICtrlListView_MoveItems - UDF | GUICtrlSetOnHover_UDF! | _ControlTab UDF! | _MouseSetOnEvent() UDF! | _ProcessListEx - UDF | GUICtrl_SetResizing - UDF! | Mod. for _IniString UDFs | _StringStripChars UDF | _ColorIsDarkShade UDF | _ColorConvertValue UDF | _GUICtrlTab_CoverBackground | CUI_App_UDF | _IncludeScripts UDF | _AutoIt3ExecuteCode | _DragList UDF | Mod. for _ListView_Progress | _ListView_SysLink | _GenerateRandomNumbers | _BlockInputEx | _IsPressedEx | OnAutoItExit Handler | _GUICtrlCreateTFLabel UDF | WinControlSetEvent UDF | Mod. for _DirGetSizeEx UDF

AutoIt_Icon_small.pngExamples: 
ScreenSaver Demo - Matrix included | Gui Drag Without pause the script | _WinAttach()! | Turn Off/On Monitor | ComboBox Handler Example | Mod. for "Thinking Box" | Cool "About" Box | TasksBar Imitation Demo

Like the Projects/UDFs/Examples? Please rate the topic (up-right corner of the post header: Rating AutoIt_Rating.gif)

* === My topics === *

==================================================
My_Userbar.gif
==================================================

AutoIt is simple, subtle, elegant. © AutoIt Team