opt("SendKeyDelay", -0 )?

bigred

Is there any way to have the text being sent by the send command to appear instantly? I need it to work the same way the ControlSetText and ControlCommand(EditPaste) work, in the way that the text appears instantly in the edit field.

Any ideas? Or would this need to be implemented by the Devs?

Send cannot instantly send different keys. Same as when you try to enter text on your keyboard. If you'd press all keys for one word you'll just have character jam and not the text you wanted. So Send basically does the same as you: pressing one key after the other.

If you need to show some text instantly, you could try working with the clipboard. Copy the text to clipboard and then paste it.

What about using ControlSetText as you already said?

You can't have the same effect with Send()...

If you are really really stuck you may try Autoit2 that could.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I need to send variables in the text string and so far I haven't found a way to encapsulate them into a ControlSetText or ControlCommand(EditPaste) string.

I could use EditPaste a bunch of times but that would not be practical in this case. Check out post #9 in this thread for an explanation.

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4646

EDIT: Err nevermind I think JdeB has solved the issue of using ControlSend.

Send cannot instantly send different keys. Same as when you try to enter text on your keyboard. If you'd press all keys for one word you'll just have character jam and not the text you wanted. So Send basically does the same as you: pressing one key after the other.

If you need to show some text instantly, you could try working with the clipboard. Copy the text to clipboard and then paste it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True, but the other text send commands can do it, why not this one? I just need a command that will let me send text instantly with encapsulated variables. Oh and it has to be as reliable as possible. :ph34r:

Well I need to encapsulate variables in the string. How could I do that prior to putting it in the clipboard?

Have the sendkeydelay and keydowndelay set to -1.  That is the quickest that send will work but then you might have reliability issues.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ahh that worked pretty well. What sort of reliability issues might I face? What would the cause be, and is there a way to help prevent them without upping the delays? Edited by bigred

True, but the other text send commands can do it, why not this one?  I just need a command that will let me send text instantly with encapsulated variables.  Oh and it has to be as reliable as possible.  :ph34r:

I'm not really sure about this but here's what I think: ControlSend does not simulate keypresses. So it does not have the drawback of simulating to press the key down, then release the first key, press the next key down, release the second key...

Instead it simply tells windows: "Send the following keys to the specified control".

Edited by sugi

• Administrators

I'm not really sure about this but here's what I think: ControlSend does not simulate keypresses. So it does not have the drawback of simulating to press the key down, then release the first key, press the next key down, release the second key...

Instead it simply tells windows: "Send the following keys to the specified control".

Send() is a very low level function that simulates the actual keypresses on the keyboard. Eventually windows turns these keypresses into windows messages that it sends to the message queue of a window

ControlSend() creates and sends the windows messages directly to a windows message queue (key up/key down type messages)

ControlSetText() Just sends a single "change your text to this" message

The fewer messages sent, the less chance of things going wrong.