how to SET the file properties / metadata information

Posted Image

hi there !

the question is the following: my program creates save files using a new file extension (.tlb, but that doesn't matter). i registered the filetype and associated it with my exe and the icon so i can open the save.tlb by double clicking and then proceed according to the cmdline params. no problems with that.

but now: is there a way to set the file metadata that is shown on mouse hovering and in the explorer's status bar ? i would be interested in displaying the creation date and the dimensions (~ similar information that is diplayed with image files).

i have searched the forum and found the tools (_GetExtProperty.au3 by simucal, _GetFileProperty.au3) that pull out the properties of a file by numbers, but these don't change or set the information.

anyone can help ?

thanx

j.

Edited by jennico
Spoiler

I actively support Wikileaks | Freedom for Julian Assange ! | Defend freedom of speech ! | Fight censorship ! | I will not silence.OixB7.jpgDon't forget this IP: 213.251.145.96

• Moderators

None of the File* functions in the help file work for you or do what you want?

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

no.

there is only filesettime.

i think the metadata must be written into the registry or a dll call. i guess the filetype has to be associated with the contents of the metadata/file properties. but i can't find the reg entry.

no, this cannot be. cannot be the registry.

j.

Edited by jennico
Spoiler

I actively support Wikileaks | Freedom for Julian Assange ! | Defend freedom of speech ! | Fight censorship ! | I will not silence.OixB7.jpgDon't forget this IP: 213.251.145.96

well, okay i found a first hint:

e.g.:

HKCR\dllfile:

InfoTip - REG_SZ - prop:FileDescription;Company;FileVersion;Create;Size

TitleInfo - REG_SZ - prop:FileVersion;FileDescription

this could determine the information of the filetype displayed in tooltip and statusbar.

but still i don't know how to set the file information.

j.

next hint:

HKCR\SystemFileAssociations\image

TitleInfo - REG_SZ - prop:Dimensions;Type;Size

but still i don't know how to set the file prop.

Edited by jennico
Spoiler

I tried to find enough info for me to do this and hit a brick wall. Made a decent update of Simucal's code as _FileGetExtProp(), but couldn't figure out how to make a working _FileSetExtProp().

:)

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

Oups .... Sorry, I doesn't understand de question the 1st time I read.

I think you must use ResHacker.exe to make modification on the file tag.

Look on the ResHacker.hlp and _AutoIt3Wrapper.au3 files.

Best Regards.Thierry

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

no, sorry, it is NOT an exe file or similar, it contains just data (similar to a jpg or other graphic files).

so reshacker can't do anything with it. any other 'hint, hint' ?

j.

Edited by jennico
Spoiler