AutoIt Linux

Note: Autoit is almost FULLY compatible with WINE

If you run ubuntu, it's as simple as "sudo apt-get install wine" , installing wine, and associate it wil exe files. Download Autoit and SciTe for windows on Ubuntu, and run "wine C:\Program Files\Autoit3\SciTE\scite.exe" from the console. Even Syntax Highlighting works on SciTe.

I have Wine installed and AutoIt with it. But I want to create linux applications, not windows ones. AutoIt is awesome and not difficult to learn...maybe there's something like it for Linux users?

I have Wine installed and AutoIt with it. But I want to create linux applications, not windows ones. AutoIt is awesome and not difficult to learn...maybe there's something like it for Linux users?

Many of the things AutoIt does fluently in the Windows environment are considered horrible security lapses in Linux, like intercepting and simulating keyboard and mouse activity, one process writing to another processes GUI controls, etc. I don't think allowing that kind of thing has ever been part of the Linux community's thinking. There are plenty of languages for doing your own GUI stuff, like C++ and Java that are nearly the same in Linux as in Windows. Then there's GTK and QT (depending on your desktop choices).

But when you want one program to screw around with another (which AutoIt excels at) you hit a brick wall in Linux. That's a big part of why it's more secure. I think a hypothetical AutoIt program running under Linux would seem a lot like AutoIt on Windows trying to work with GameGuard type blocks, only on every window and process, not just a game.

This kind of thinking about security is also why (I believe, as a non-expert non-programmer), FireFox, built on the same principles, doesn't expose an API for something like Dale Hohm's IE.au3 to exploit, and OpenOffice.org Calc can't be externally manipulated like MS Office Excel can, even in Windows.

:)

P.S. I did have AutoIt 3.something and SciTE running under WINE on SUSE 10.0 at one time. Even the RegRead() and RegWrite() functions worked. The MsgBox popups were kind of ugly and SciTE's useful context help was kind of broken, but it worked overall.

Edited by PsaltyDS
Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

RapidQ works on linux too, but development has stopped long time ago :)

FreeBASIC has VB like syntax and works on many platforms.

depending on what you want to do maybe the linux shell utils can do the job for you.

allmost everything i wanted to do on linux was finaly made as a shell script, it's just much

more powerfull than Batch files on windows.

Ruby is pretty nice too - You can try it here live in your browser :)

PHP can be compiled to native binarys too nowadays (pcc from roadsend)

Many of the things AutoIt does fluently in the Windows environment are considered horrible security lapses in Linux, like intercepting and simulating keyboard and mouse activity, one process writing to another processes GUI controls, etc. I don't think allowing that kind of thing has ever been part of the Linux community's thinking.

does this barrier exist between 2 windows programs on wine too?

or is it just impossible to mess with native linux things.

i remember au3_spy to work but i didnt try modifying anything.

This kind of thinking about security is also why (I believe, as a non-expert non-programmer), FireFox, built on the same principles, doesn't expose an API for something like Dale Hohm's IE.au3 to exploit, and OpenOffice.org Calc can't be externally manipulated like MS Office Excel can, even in Windows.

There is a interface for firefox, at least for windows.

but its well hidden and almost unknown somewhere deep in the source tree :)

there is even a com stub, and a example on how to use it on this forum (by Stumpii i think).

CoProc Multi Process Helper libraryTrashBin.nfshost.com store your AutoIt related files here!AutoIt User Map

does this barrier exist between 2 windows programs on wine too?

or is it just impossible to mess with native linux things.

i remember au3_spy to work but i didnt try modifying anything.

Not between two windows inside WINE, I don't think. But definitely between anything in WINE and any native Linux process or Gnome/KDE/X window.

There is a interface for firefox, at least for windows.

but its well hidden and almost unknown somewhere deep in the source tree :)

there is even a com stub, and a example on how to use it on this forum (by Stumpii i think).

I found Stumpii's "Automating Mozilla/Firefox", which uses an ActiveX plugin to Mozilla from Adam Lock. The last version on that page is dated December 2005, and is for Firefox 1.5.

Of course Firefox supports plugins ("Add-ons" or "Extensions" like AdBlock). And it's completely open source. So if you want to code or download an add-on that opens a remote-control API to your copy of Firefox -- well, more power to 'ya. But making Firefox emulate what they see as the worst security behaviors of MS IE, is not a priority in that community!

:)

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

• 7 years later...

I'm fan of Autoit, i like very much and use it to make several programs to automate task with error log controls and windows showing information, i'ts very versatile, but i think there is no other thing like that in linux for two reasons, first and most important i'ts based on Windows Libraries and so it can interact with almost any "dll"; second in linux you don't need to use autoit, it's another programming philosophy, a open one. When i need to do things like Autoit on Windows in Linux, simply use bash and perl scripts, bash is very powerful, it's awesome, and it's not only bash, there are many commands like sed, cat, cut, grep, awk, etc... there are essential to know if you want to be a linux administrator too, as the pipes, when you know these commands, you simply don't need autoit on linux, there are even commands to show dialog box and interact with them.

Welcome to Autoit and the forum!

You noticed that this thread is more than 7 years old?

Please do not necro old threads :naughty:

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki