Another Dumb Question by litlmike

This is probably a dumb question, but like the ancient proverb says:

"The only dumb question, is the one that litlmike asks."

Our genius IT department decided to reformat everyone's PC and disallow all users from running .exes. In short, I can't install AutoIt, SCITE, etc. or even run my previous scripts. They decided this probably wasn't the best idea and they are looking at reversing their decision. But, it could be weeks... In the mean time, is there still a way to "execute" my old scripts?

*EDIT* - added sentence.

Sorry if this is in the help file, but I can't install AutoIt, so no help file. ;(

Thanks in Advance!

Edited by litlmike

They can't disallow all running .EXEs. Most all programs you use, like Word, Excel and Windows Explorer are .EXEs. What they've done is identified the characteristics of all of the ones your business requires (or so they think), and have a hidden program installed on your computer (possibly SMS) which is monitoring what's running. If something isn't on the list, the .EXE is killed.

If you required AutoIt for your job, it should be a simple matter to convince them to add AutoIt/etc to the list of allowed programs. If not, you really can't do anything apart from disabling the protections they've put in place, which is probably harder than it sounds, and might have unfortunate consequences in the end for you. :)

[font="Fixedsys"][list][*]All of my AutoIt Example Scripts[*]http://saneasylum.com[/list][/font]

Damn dude, I know you put in many hours on what you use. Sorry this has happened to you. Like Lod3n suggest, you need to get with your IT group and see if you can get them to make a exception for your app. I would go as far as showing them the source code so they will be more receptive. One other idea you may want to try is to make a dummy directory with your app. Rename the app word.exe and try to see if it will run. If they have a white list of approved exe files, it may allow you to run it.

They can't disallow all running .EXEs. Most all programs you use, like Word, Excel and Windows Explorer are .EXEs. What they've done is identified the characteristics of all of the ones your business requires (or so they think), and have a hidden program installed on your computer (possibly SMS) which is monitoring what's running. If something isn't on the list, the .EXE is killed.

If you required AutoIt for your job, it should be a simple matter to convince them to add AutoIt/etc to the list of allowed programs. If not, you really can't do anything apart from disabling the protections they've put in place, which is probably harder than it sounds, and might have unfortunate consequences in the end for you. :)

Damn dude, I know you put in many hours on what you use. Sorry this has happened to you. Like Lod3n suggest, you need to get with your IT group and see if you can get them to make a exception for your app. I would go as far as showing them the source code so they will be more receptive. One other idea you may want to try is to make a dummy directory with your app. Rename the app word.exe and try to see if it will run. If they have a white list of approved exe files, it may allow you to run it.

thanks for the feedback. yea it does suck! I have tried getting with the IT group and it looks positive that they will reverse their decision, but it will take a long time for a final answer. good idea about renaming the .exes and stuff, I didn't think of it.

Is there a way to figure out what kind of protection they have on the machine? YOu made it sound like its not built in to Windows.

THanks

thanks for the feedback. yea it does suck! I have tried getting with the IT group and it looks positive that they will reverse their decision, but it will take a long time for a final answer. good idea about renaming the .exes and stuff, I didn't think of it.

Is there a way to figure out what kind of protection they have on the machine? YOu made it sound like its not built in to Windows.

THanks

If your place of employment has an "IT Group", they probably have an "IT Policy" too. Somewhere in there, the boiler plate for such things says something like "...intentionally subverting or disabling information security measures implemented by the authorized IT Group constitutes reason for dismissal and may additionally incur criminal and civil penalties."

Think before you hack a computer that doesn't belong to you...

:)

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

If your place of employment has an "IT Group", they probably have an "IT Policy" too. Somewhere in there, the boiler plate for such things says something like "...intentionally subverting or disabling information security measures implemented by the authorized IT Group constitutes reason for dismissal and may additionally incur criminal and civil penalties."

Think before you hack a computer that doesn't belong to you...

:)

Thanks for the feedback, but in this case I don't think it will be an issue. All the scripts that I have created are to improve my work efficiency and the IT group is aware of this, that is why they are looking to reverse the decision. But, they will have to go through all the red tape before they actually reverse it. In the meantime, I want to be able to work at full capacity.

@Volly

Your suggestion worked! Oh thank you Jesus! I have not gone through all the scripts to try them, but so far the most important ones do. All it required was the dummy folder under a directory of a previously approved directory - like Symantec, etc.

I wonder if I could install AU3 now? Hmmm... :)