Does tcp/ip require a static IP?

I have made a small server and client script so students in my orchestra can send our teacher their practice slips online. It works great on LAN but I want students to be able to connect from thier home. Does the computer running the server script require a static IP address for the client to work over the internet? For a static IP with my ISP it's like $10 more a month which is to much. I'm thinking I could have a .ini on a free file hosting service that is kept updated with the current server IP and have the client download it every few hours or so. Before I do more to set this up I want to know if it will even work. Help is MUCH appreciated, Hallman

Edited by Hallman

Rather than check every few hours, I'd have the client check the service when it sends stuff, that way, you know it will be current all the time.

Well, it checks everytime it trys to connect plus every few hours. I just want to know if my IP needs to be static for the tcp/ip functions to work correctly ...

Also, is there a way to keep your ip from changing (or at least not as often) without paying the extra $$$?

Well, it checks everytime it trys to connect plus every few hours. I just want to know if my IP needs to be static for the tcp/ip functions to work correctly ...

Also, is there a way to keep your ip from changing (or at least not as often) without paying the extra $$?

Yes, leave your router on and don't turn it off. As soon as the DHCP lease time is up, the router will request a new IP address. Since the one it was using was just released, you will most likely get the same exact IP address as before. If you don't have a router, make sure you leave your PC on all the time so that it can make a request.

This of course isn't a sure thing and your IP address may very well change, but it works for me.

- The Kandie Man ;-)

Edited by The Kandie Man

"So man has sown the wind and reaped the world. Perhaps in the next few hours there will no remembrance of the past and no hope for the future that might have been." & _"All the works of man will be consumed in the great fire after which he was created." & _"And if there is a future for man, insensitive as he is, proud and defiant in his pursuit of power, let him resolve to live it lovingly, for he knows well how to do so." & _"Then he may say once more, 'Truly the light is sweet, and what a pleasant thing it is for the eyes to see the sun.'" - The Day the Earth Caught Fire

Make sure you got the right ports forwarded. Most likely 80

um ... sorry but how do you do that? I cant get any computers to connect. My computer is not on a LAN but my friends is and the client/server works fine between his computers but again nothing outside of his LAN is able to connect.

um ... sorry but how do you do that? I cant get any computers to connect. My computer is not on a LAN but my friends is and the client/server works fine between his computers but again nothing outside of his LAN is able to connect.

Most (sane) homes have a router on the Cable/DSL interface with a basic firewall that blocks incoming connections for (good) security reasons. Most of these routers can be configured to pass particular ports to a particular address on the inside LAN, but get help from someone who knows the risks of doing that.

:)

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

• Moderators

Do you have the "Server Script/Exe" PC setup as a server?

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

Do you have the "Server Script/Exe" PC setup as a server?

I have no knowlege on this subject so I imagine it's a no. All I know is that i'm trying to run a server script on my personal computer. I have done nothing exept write the script and run it. I have changed no settings, and I'm not running anything else. How do I set up my PC to be a server? I apologise for my ignorance.

Hallman

Edited by Hallman