LazyReader(c)

I failed to document what you can do with LazyReader©, so here goes:

HotKeys:

To speak text contents in the clipboard, press Control-T.

To render a WAV file of the text contents in the clipboard, press Control-W.

Note: The resulting file will be placed under the WAV sub-folder. Look for the temp file with the most recent time stamp.

If you want to pause the voice, press Control-Shift-Pause.

If you want to resume a paused voice, press Control-R.

Note: When the voice is in a paused state, it will not respond to the Talk Hot Key. You will not be able to speak new clipboard contents until the current text is read completely OR the voice is stopped.

If you want to stop the voice, press Control-S.

To close LazyReader©, press Control-E.

Configuration Dialog:

To access configuration settings, you can either right-click on LazyReader© OR click on the Tray Icon and select 'Settings'.

From the Dialog, you can set the Hot Keys for the actions mentioned above (in the event that the default Hot Keys conflict with an application on your machine.) To do this, simply replace the Hot Key sequence in the associated input field and press Enter. When you "x" out of the Dialog, it will prompt you to save changes. Click "Yes".

You can also set the Voice parameters (i.e., voice, speed, volume ).

You can also see the wonderful people who helped make this possible with their contributions to me directly or in-directly.

Show/Hide GUI:

It is well documented that Erica loves the new GUI, but your manager may not feel the same. To hide (or show) the GUI, click on the Tray Icon and select the appropriate option from the "GUI" break-out.

Additional Notes:

A copy of all text read is dumped to a text file in the History folder.

Idea: You can add "Tip of the day" to LazyReader © ® . Search for "CD Ejector" and copy the part of script with Tip of the day function.

I think this definitely needs to be in the next version! Great suggestion. Edited by zfisherdrums

• 5 months later...

LazyReader updated to work with AutoIt version 3.2.10+

Dear Bob,

I would formost like to thankyou for you involvement with this excellent project. And also, kudos for making it work with the latest version of AutoIt. Keep up the great work,

Thanks,

Mark, Mary, Quite Contrary,

Long Time Lover

Very nice .. but it falls over for me on line 162 (latest updated version):

$voice.Voice = $voice.GetVoices("Name=" & _SpeechVoice(), "Language=409").Item(0)

If I comment it out it works but the 'pause' does not work.

Anyway its good fun - just need to get the slobs mouth moving to the words.

I didn't know you had done one better than me (re 'tray speak') otherwise I would not have spent ages on it (re-inventing the wheel).

Edited by ToyleY

"In response to telling me to goto Microsoft and downloading something: No!"

We found the link. It is here: www.microsoft.com/something/tucked_away/hidden_corner/server/mssapi.exe

This looks ausom but im haveing one problem, i am unsure of which download to choose. Could you point me to the direct executible please?

Spoiler

"If a vegetarian eats vegetables,What the heck does a humanitarian eat?"

"I hear voices in my head, but I ignore them and continue on killing."

"You have forced me to raise the indifference warning to beige, it's a beige alert people. As with all beige alerts please prepare to think about the possibility of caring."

An optimist says that giving someone power DOESN'T immediately turn them into a sadist. A pessimist says that giving someone power doesn't IMMEDIATELY turn them into a sadist.

This looks ausom but im haveing one problem, i am unsure of which download to choose. Could you point me to the direct executible please?

I am not sure, but I think that was a joke.

I can do signature me.

No joke. Sorry, I have really bad spelling. There are several files to choose from on the page. Im not quite sure which one would work for this program...

Spoiler

"If a vegetarian eats vegetables,What the heck does a humanitarian eat?"

"I hear voices in my head, but I ignore them and continue on killing."

"You have forced me to raise the indifference warning to beige, it's a beige alert people. As with all beige alerts please prepare to think about the possibility of caring."

An optimist says that giving someone power DOESN'T immediately turn them into a sadist. A pessimist says that giving someone power doesn't IMMEDIATELY turn them into a sadist.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

UPDATE!!!! UPDATE!!! UPDATE!!!

Useless Humanity, Inc is pleased to announce the next-gen version of LazyReader©.

We've expanded our R&D department, brought in extra coffee-pots, fired a couple useless interns - and you get to reap the rewards of our corporate re-structuring!!!

Previous downloads: 291

LazyReader2.zip

12 - 16 - 2007

- Rewrite to work with AutoIt v 3.2.10+

New features to enjoy:

• Play, Pause, Resume, Stop HotKeys (Ctrl-T, Ctrl-Shift-Pause, Ctrl-R, Ctrl-S respectively)!
  • Customizeable Hot Keys and Voice settings!
  • Dump speech straight to a WAV file!
  • Aesthetically pleasing user interface!
  • Dynamic effects that make Windows Vista look like Windows XP!!!
HotKeys:

To speak text contents in the clipboard, press Control-T.

To render a WAV file of the text contents in the clipboard, press Control-W.

Note: The resulting file will be placed under the WAV sub-folder. Look for the temp file with the most recent time stamp.

If you want to pause the voice, press Control-Shift-Pause.

If you want to resume a paused voice, press Control-R.

Note: When the voice is in a paused state, it will not respond to the Talk Hot Key. You will not be able to speak new clipboard contents until the current text is read completely OR the voice is stopped.

If you want to stop the voice, press Control-S.

To close LazyReader©, press Control-E.

Configuration Dialog:

To access configuration settings, you can either right-click on LazyReader© OR click on the Tray Icon and select 'Settings'.

From the Dialog, you can set the Hot Keys for the actions mentioned above (in the event that the default Hot Keys conflict with an application on your machine.) To do this, simply replace the Hot Key sequence in the associated input field and press Enter. When you "x" out of the Dialog, it will prompt you to save changes. Click "Yes".

You can also set the Voice parameters (i.e., voice, speed, volume ).

You can also see the wonderful people who helped make this possible with their contributions to me directly or in-directly.

Show/Hide GUI:

It is well documented that Erica loves the new GUI, but your manager may not feel the same. To hide (or show) the GUI, click on the Tray Icon and select the appropriate option from the "GUI" break-out.

Additional Notes:

A copy of all text read is dumped to a text file in the History folder.

Legal has reminded us to thank the following individual contributors who helped in our most successful launch to date:

• Bert
  • erifash
  • CyberzeroCool
  • gaFrost
  • i542
  • lod3n
  • PaulIA
  • SolidSnake
  • Secure_ICT
So use some of that new-found free time and drop us a line. Let us know how LazyReader is making your life more complete!

How many times have you looked at a page full of text and sighed...wishing there was something that could read all those cumbersome words while you did more important things? Things like:

-> dusting off your Transformers for the fan-flick you KNOW you're going to make

-> rehearsing your fear of the opposite sex

-> lamenting that we can't just download this crap directly into our heads

Google no further! LazyReader© will help you amass huge quantities of free time by doing the task of reading for you!

You might protest "Text to Speech ain't nothing new! Erifash, GaFrost, and countless others already have scripts that do that!"

True, text-to-speech is not new, but LazyReader© will read the contents of your clipboard whenever you copy something new into it. In fact, pressing Shift-F10 will repeat that important part you missed when you where looking for Optimus Prime's hands.

Pressing Shift-Escape will exit the script, BUT WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?!!! Your fan-flick is going to be so sweet. Erica will totally go out with you!

Do you know why it took so long for scientists to discover Penicillin? Because they didn't have LazyReader©!

So until Morpheus shows himself and starts introducing you to your new "librarians", use LazyReader©!

Not convinced? Just think how much time you would've saved if you hadn't read all this!

I haven't even tried the program yet and this is the best thing I've read in ages. I especially loved the response; the 'you would' part kills me. Thanks for the mirth.