Allocating passwords to Acrobat files from Excel ...

Hi,

I am COMPLETELY new to AutoIt and would like to know if the following procedure could be automated even in stages:

Basically, I want to allocate BOTH of the passwords used to protect PDF files in Adobe Pro 6.... these are called OPEN and PERMISSIONS, and both need to be input and confirmed before file saving. The passwords come from a spreadsheet.

I have 1000 PDF files..... so you can see I am keen to simplify.

The manual procedure goes like this.....

1. Open Acrobat Pro 6, (do I assume this is done manually, as it is only required once)?

1a. Open all files to be actioned.....adobe has a file open limit of approx 30..... but thats OK.

2. Open Excel

2a. Open Spreasdsheet that contains passwords.

3. Select the Adobe file in question. Click Security > Restrict Opening and Editing

4. Select tickbox 'Require a password'

4a. Goto spreadsheet at the correct entry and COPY password return to Acrobat and PASTE into password box.

4b. Select tickbox 'Use a permissions password"

4c. Goto spreadsheet at the correct entry and COPY password return to Acrobat and PASTE into password box.

4d. Select "Printing Allowed" pull down box.

4e. Click OK.

4f. Re-Enter OPEN password when prompted > Click OK.

4g. Re-Enter PERMISSIONS password when prompted > Click OK.

4h. Save and Close Acrobat file.

5. Next File.....

Hope that makes sense.

Appreciate and help or guidance, Simon.

Look at the example scripts and help files to get a feel for how the AutoIt language works. A great way to learn the language is to record some actions and look at the script. You'll need to install SciTE and use the Script Writer program that comes with it.

Once you understand which commands you need to use, including control commands, you'll need to look at the AutoIt Info program to find the control IDs to click and change the options as desired. Then, it's a matter of looping the action for each file, and/or getting the values from the spreadsheet.

Hints: Look at the help file for Run, For, While, ControlClick, ControlCommand, ControlSetText, and maybe _FileListToArray. When working with Excel, I like to use Locodarwin's Excel UDF: http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=34302

Hopefully that should get you started, anyway. But if you get stuck somewhere, let us know.

• 3 weeks later...

Can't really get the time to do this, its not my bag.... I'm a graphic artist.

Is there any freelance persons who may help me for a fee?

Apologies for scouting for business on a forum, but i can't seem to get off the ground on this one and really need the help.

Thanks, Simon.