Create A Windows XP Service

Hi i would like to create a Windows Xp Service that basicly will do this

When the user log on into windows, it verify if explorer.exe is running. If not, i want to start it.

Why i want to do that ? Because i have a lot of pc that when users log in windows xp sp2, explorer.exe is not running and there is no icons and taskbar. If we start "explorer.exe" everything come back to normal. I have this problem since a few weeks and i did not find any solution wet. So i would like to try to make a service that check if explorer.exe is running.

Here is my script

While Not ProcessExists("explorer.exe")

Run("explorer.exe")

Exit

WEnd

I then use this tool to make my service (http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=197)

My problem is that when i try to start the service, it start the file explorer.exe but nothing happen. I tried it with notepad.exe and still the same thing. The process start but i dont see the notepad windows

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks a lot !

Jac

Don't run AutoIt as a service. That is unnecessarily complicated. Instead, use the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run registry key to run the script.

This code will cause the script to run every time a user logs into their account.

If IsAdmin() Then
    RegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run", "Start Explorer Check", "REG_SZ", @ScriptFullPath)
Else
    RegWrite("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run", "Start Explorer Check", "REG_SZ", @ScriptFullPath)
EndIf

Make sure you compile the script as an executable before you run it so that the script adds an .exe path to the registry and not an .au3 path. Hopefully this works for you, did a brief test of it myself, but I didn't feel like ending explorer.exe to see if it actually worked.

- The Kandie Man ;-)

Edited by The Kandie Man

"So man has sown the wind and reaped the world. Perhaps in the next few hours there will no remembrance of the past and no hope for the future that might have been." & _"All the works of man will be consumed in the great fire after which he was created." & _"And if there is a future for man, insensitive as he is, proud and defiant in his pursuit of power, let him resolve to live it lovingly, for he knows well how to do so." & _"Then he may say once more, 'Truly the light is sweet, and what a pleasant thing it is for the eyes to see the sun.'" - The Day the Earth Caught Fire

Hi The Kandie Man

Thanks for helping me. I tried what you say but its not working. It has to be a service because if explorer.exe is not running, it dont load what is in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. I did a test by renaming this key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Shell="Explorer.exe" to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Shell="Explorer.exeOLD"

I reboot my pc and i had the problem. No desktop icons and taskbar. So if i could put that as a service, maybe it would work

Thanks for your help

Jac

Don't run AutoIt as a service. That is unnecessarily complicated. Instead, use the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run registry key to run the script.

This code will cause the script to run every time a user logs into their account.

If IsAdmin() Then
    RegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run", "Start Explorer Check", "REG_SZ", @ScriptFullPath)
Else
    RegWrite("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run", "Start Explorer Check", "REG_SZ", @ScriptFullPath)
EndIf

Make sure you compile the script as an executable before you run it so that the script adds an .exe path to the registry and not an .au3 path. Hopefully this works for you, did a brief test of it myself, but I didn't feel like ending explorer.exe to see if it actually worked.

- The Kandie Man ;-)

Thanks for helping me. This link helped me alot. But i still got a problem.

HEre is my script

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#include "ServiceControl.au3"

$servicename = "VerifyExplorer"

$ServiceExist = RegRead("HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\" & $servicename,"DisplayName")

IF $ServiceExist <> "VerifyExplorer" Then

_CreateService("", $servicename, $servicename, "C:\Verify_Explorer\srvany.exe", "LocalSystem", "", 0x110)

RegWrite("HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\" & $servicename & "\Parameters", "Application", "REG_SZ", @ScriptFullPath)

RegWrite("HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\" & $servicename, "Type", "REG_DWORD", 0x110)

EndIf

;Pour deleter le service

;_DeleteService("", $servicename)

While Not ProcessExists("explorer.exe")

;MsgBox(0,"info","info")

Run("explorer.exe")

Sleep(5000);give five seconds before looping again. This prevents the script from starting too many instances of explorer

WEnd

Exit

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With that, it created my service perfectly

The problem is if you disable process "explorer.exe" and try starting this service, "explorer.exe" will run but nothin will come back (icons and taskbar)

But if you execute the script exe file, it work great !

Any ideas ?

Thanks

How to create a service?

Answer.

Sticky: Support Forum FAQ

:rolleyes: