Auto Connect Network Drive

Scenario Every morning a few of our machines (specifically one that does AutoIts) must connect to a mapped drive. The problem is that windows (xp sp2) isn't automatically doing that every morning.

With that said. I'm wanting to develop the most efficient auto connect script. There may even be a way to do this in windows that I'm totally unaware of, which may explain why I couldn't find any talk of this on the forums (or I just suck :rolleyes: ).

I did find

What is the best method?

Edited by JohnBailey
A decision is a powerful thing

...a few of our machines (specifically one that does AutoIts) must connect to a mapped drive...

bhoar is correct, however you might try using UNC connections instead of mapped ones. Just a thought.

[size="1"][font="Arial"].[u].[/u][/font][/size]

Wow! I totally didn't know about that. Thank you

I'm trying to get it to work. No desired results yet.

I've tried in Run (which may be my problem)

NET USE [*][\\Server\Server-D][AutoIt]

There is no password for that user

In the cmd it says "The network name cannot be found." That's the correct name and I've even tried quotes as it says to try. What am I missing?

bhoar is correct, however you might try using UNC connections instead of mapped ones. Just a thought.

I'm researching that information right now. Nothing yet, but still looking.

thanks guys. I'll keep experimenting and researching.

In Run or the command prompt (run->cmd), try:

net use s: \\Server\Server-D /USER:AutoIt
or replace s: with whatever letter you want. That should work (if the path exists), mapping the share to s: in My Computer. Sometimes you need to specify more on the user (which machine/domain holds that username) like:
net use s: \\Server\Server-D /User:Server\AutoIt

I do a similar thing on our computers where I work - I just have this line in a .bat file located in the user's startup folder, so it maps the drive whenever they log on. XP works great - Vista not so much. Can't figure that out yet :rolleyes:

"There are 10 types of people in this world - those who can read binary, and those who can't.""We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true." ~Robert Wilensky0101101 1001010 1100001 1101101 1100101 1110011 0110011 1001101 10001110000101 0000111 0001000 0001110 0001101 0010010 1010110 0100001 1101110

james3mg, that sounds more doable for me (sorry guys). I'm trying to figure out UNC Connections, alas there is little that makes sense to me on what this is and how to do it. It appears it's related to VNCs, but beyond that I'm just confused.

james3mg, I'll play around with what you suggested. THANK YOU ALL!

UNC Connections may be the most efficient way to achieve my goal.

james3mg, I'm understanding the syntax for everything but the password. How do the password fit in?

basically, I have this for my bat file

ECHO.
ECHO Connecting to Server
net use f: \\Server\Server-D /User:AutoIt /Persistent:Yes
ECHO.
ECHO Done
Exit

But it asks me for the password. I just hit enter on the keyboard and it goes through (because there is no password for that account). How do I make it automatically use "" (ie nothing, which is something) for the password.

Edited by JohnBailey