Hibernate and Reboot

I tried to find a way to make computer Hibernate and reboot instead off powering off but i didnt get far.

Passing both flags to Shutdown() doesn't do anything and i didn't find any info on msdn.

The relevant api's where:

InitiateSystemShutdown[Ex]

SetSuspendState

SetSystemPowerState

ExitWindows[Ex]

did i miss anything?

Of course i've been searching the net on that topic but only found requests on adding this to some linux distribution...

If someone of you knows how to do this please let me know.

thanks.

CoProc Multi Process Helper libraryTrashBin.nfshost.com store your AutoIt related files here!AutoIt User Map

Vmware would be simpler and free. allows both to work at the same time. But I will look around since hibernation is both a OS and bios thing. I would say you can;t have your cake and eat it too (meaning both Windows hibernate then resume to linux hibernate resume windows from same spot)

Edited by Wuzfuzzy

It is possible http://apcmag.com/3895/how_vista_screws_dual_booting_nirvana it is possible :rolleyes: GRUB is your answer and XP along with ubuntu or something similar.

Sounds like picasso already knows that can be done, but according to his first post:

I tried to find a way to make computer Hibernate and reboot instead off powering off...

I think he wants one continuos process, ie: issue the hibernate command, but instead of the computer shutting down once it's hibernated which is the normal procedure, he wants to have the computer automatically reboot itself so he can then choose his alternate OS at boot time.

Since the entire contents of memory are written to the hibernation file, I think you'll need to find some way of duplicating that functionality/file structure outside of the normal hibernation routine. If you can do that, then you can combine that procedure with a standard reboot and achieve the same thing. I'll see if I can do some research for tools that might help...

Edited by ResNullius

Vmware and similar just slow down things to much and i cant access all of my hardware directly...

Vmware in particular brings my computer down to its knees even when not active (the services which run allways)

i'd rather go with virtual box, bochs, qemu...

but all this virtualization tools perform badly on windows (compared to linux where some of them have pretty good acceleration layers)

so this isnt an option for me as i want to have windows xp as my main os.

as my second os i have slax which doesn't save changes to disk unless i tell it to so i can

safely hit the reset button to return to windows.

and even if i shut it down proper it takes less than 5 seconds...

windows aint that way, it takes forever to boot and forever to shut down unless you use the hibernation feature which is

much faster... (at least on my computer it makes a big difference)

as ResNullius said i know that ist possible, but have to rely on another boot manager (i choose that one)

and my problem is just the annoyance of pushing the power button every time i hibernated windows.

I thought maybe it's possible to tell windows not to power down.

But unfortunately i come to the conclusion - and please correct me if i'm wrong - that windows just doesn't support this.

so i would have to reverse the part that interacts with the wmi interface or whatever is used to power down and modify it.

which i'm unable to do because i have no idea where to start looking, and its probably a eula violation...

But i would mess with this anyway if i would know where to start :rolleyes:

thanks ResNullius for going on a search, maybe you'll have more luck than i have :rambo:

CoProc Multi Process Helper libraryTrashBin.nfshost.com store your AutoIt related files here!AutoIt User Map