Send() text to an old browser form gets unshifted

OK, I'm stuck using Win95 for this project which means the latest usable IE is v5.5 and, if I understand correctly, IE.au3 works only for IE v6 and above.

I'm trying to Send() text to input boxes in a browser form. The text actually gets sent and shows up in the form (tried with IE 5.5 and Opera 8.5) but each character shows up as the unshifted version of itself. For example, @Aa shows up as 2aa.

Much messing around with SHIFTUP and SHIFTDOWN, +, and RAW mode has no effect. I'm using Send() to go to the active window because AutoIt Window Info doesn't show me any controls that would seem to be a useful target. And much searching of this forum failed to turn up an answer.

I worked around this by first moving the text for an input box to the clipboard with a ClipPut(), and then sending to the active window a ^V to paste the text into the input box followed by a TAB to get the focus to the next input box on the form, and repeat as needed. Works as desired but seems like an awful way to do it. Anyone know why the browser was not getting shifted characters? And what cleaner way might be available to solve this? Thanks!