Line 0... Error: Unable to Parse

I am a noob to Autoit and I have searched the forums and Google for help on this topic. I hate to bug the general community, but I can't find information anywhere else.

My roommate made a script and I want to tweak it. I can decompile it just fine. But when I go in and change even one character in a text field (changing the word "Minute" to "Minutes") and compile the script again, I get the error:

----------

Line 0 (File "C:\Documents and Settings\......)

□□ SetError(1)

^ Error

Error: Unable to parse line.

----------

Why is that? I only changed one simple character. I am sure this is a totally easy problem, but not for my noob-ness. Thanks much.

Show us the code.

I am a noob to Autoit and I have searched the forums and Google for help on this topic. I hate to bug the general community, but I can't find information anywhere else.

My roommate made a script and I want to tweak it. I can decompile it just fine. But when I go in and change even one character in a text field (changing the word "Minute" to "Minutes") and compile the script again, I get the error:

----------

□□ SetError(1)

^ Error

----------

Why is that? I only changed one simple character. I am sure this is a totally easy problem, but not for my noob-ness. Thanks much.

Agreement is not necessary - thinking for one's self is!

My-Colors.jpg

cuniform2.gif

----------

â¡â¡ SetError(1)

^ Error

----------

you might have moved your script somewhare else and you are trying to compile it while scite identifies it as it was in it's previous position...

but it would be better if you show us the code

Edited by c4nm7

Show us the code.

The script is quite long so it would fill a few pages I am guessing. But before I do, I need to wait for my roommate to get home to make sure he is Ok with my posting it here.

Until then, is there a general sense of why a decompiled script would bomb like that if I were to add one character in text field? At first, I thought changing the word "Minute" to "Minutes" might be a size issue since I was adding another character/byte. But even if I change "Minute" to "Zinute" and compile it, it bombs with the same error.

Thanks

you might have moved your script somewhare else and you are trying to compile it while scite identifies it as it was in it's previous position...

but it would be better if you show us the code

That doesn't seem to be the case. Here are the steps I take:

1) Decompile the script

2) Edit the text (from "Minute" to "Minutes")

3) Close and save the au3 file

4) Compile it

5) Run it and get the error (nothing has moved)

If I follow those same steps but I don't change anything (I just decompile it and recompile it), it works fine.

So it doesn't seem to be caused by my moving anything. But what do I know?

You probably dont have a script it used, makesure its in the same spot where the original script was

[center]"When you look at old, classic games like Snake, you often put it off because it's such a simple game, but it's only when you actually try and create your own unique game from scratch, do you finally appreciate those games."[/center][center]Don't ask for answers if you haven't TRIED yet![/center][center]Most answers can be answered in the help file! Use it![/center]

What are you trying to do? Steal somebody's work?

answer:

The script is quite long so it would fill a few pages I am guessing. But before I do, I need to wait for my roommate to get home to make sure he is Ok with my posting it here.

Edited by c4nm7

You probably dont have a script it used, makesure its in the same spot where the original script was

Let me provide more info as it may prove or disprove your theory.

My roomie created the script on his PC. He put it on my USB drive and we moved it to my PC. When we decompile his script on my PC and then recompile it on my PC, it works fine. That would make me think it doesn't have anything to do with a script on his PC because it works fine when we recompile it on my machine. The problem only happens once we open his AU3 file on my pc and make even the slightest change.

What are you trying to do? Steal somebody's work?

Make sure you leave all the func parameter correctly.

I'm going to ignore the first bit. As for the second, we are not changing any of the func params. My post to a previous responder may shed some light. Like I said: when we simply decomiiple and recompile the file on my PC (not the PC it was created on), everything is fine. But if we change even one character anywhere (and I mean in a viewable text field, not a func param), it won't work when it is recompiled. I get the error I frst explained.

what is before the seterror()? the 2 squares?

Yes.

But I just figured out what the problem was. When I wanted to edit the script, I would 'right-click' the file and select 'Edit Script'. No matter what I did, the edited script wouldn't execute. Silly me... why should I have thought that using the 'Edit Script' command would allow me to actually edit the script? Duh....?

But if I edit the script with Notepad, everything works fine.

Provide the script will help a lot.

I found out what it was:

When I edited the script by right-clicking the .au3 file and selected "edit script", it would bomb when I saved, compiled, and executed it.

When I edited the script opening it with Notepad, it worked fine.

So it has something to do with the default editing tool. Now I just don't use it.